Terry Pinnell

Default Getting suite through door?

We're getting the lounge re-carpeted professionally soon. We therefore
need to move the 'ordinary size' 3-piece suite to the garage for a
while. But I've just realised I don't know how to get it out! It
obviously came in, but I'm vague about how the Parker Knoll guys did
that. I'm pretty sure they didn't dismantle the rear sliding patio
doors (and that would still mean going through a door of normal size
before getting to the up-and-over door). So what is the technique for
man-handling the chairs through a 'standard' door please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

John

Turn it on its side and feed the back through first, bend it round the corner
as it where, this is the narrowest part of the chair. same technique for sofas,
stand them on end. Hope it helps.
As an upholsterer you can only guess how many I have taken in and out of
houses!!!!
tony sayer

In article , John
writes
Turn it on its side and feed the back through first, bend it round the corner
as it where, this is the narrowest part of the chair. same technique for sofas,
stand them on end. Hope it helps.
As an upholsterer you can only guess how many I have taken in and out of
houses!!!!

Why can't you shove it up one end of the room and then get the fitter to
do that, then move it back as it were?....
--
Tony Sayer

mrcheerful

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
We're getting the lounge re-carpeted professionally soon. We therefore
need to move the 'ordinary size' 3-piece suite to the garage for a
while. But I've just realised I don't know how to get it out! It
obviously came in, but I'm vague about how the Parker Knoll guys did
that. I'm pretty sure they didn't dismantle the rear sliding patio
doors (and that would still mean going through a door of normal size
before getting to the up-and-over door). So what is the technique for
man-handling the chairs through a 'standard' door please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

My neighbours bought a new suite with very large armchairs that wouldn't fit
through the doors (although the sofa did), we had to remove the outer patio
type doors then the normal hinged front door and an internal door. The
suite delivery guys were a bit fed up, usually they only take a few minutes
per delivery.

mrcheerful

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:
So what is the technique for
man-handling the chairs through a 'standard' door please?

If it's still too large by turning on its side, the arm rests often are
removable.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Terry Pinnell

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:
So what is the technique for
man-handling the chairs through a 'standard' door please?

If it's still too large by turning on its side, the arm rests often are
removable.

Thanks very much for all those helpful replies.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from Terry Pinnell contains these words:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:
So what is the technique for
man-handling the chairs through a 'standard' door please?

If it's still too large by turning on its side, the arm rests often are
removable.

Thanks very much for all those helpful replies.

The feet often come off modern chairs/sofas too. Furniture companies
give the exact dimensions so you should be able to work it out.

If you need another inch or two, taking the door off can help
(especially if it opens against a wall).

Thanks, Janet. Reminds me (betraying my age) of a hit single by
Bernard Cribbins, called 'Right Said Fred'. Described the attempts of
Fred and his mates to manhandle a piano somewhere, and I vaguely
recall the lyrics included something like
"Right said Fred,
better take the door off,
that there door will really have to go..."

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:56:40 UTC, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Thanks, Janet. Reminds me (betraying my age) of a hit single by
Bernard Cribbins, called 'Right Said Fred'. Described the attempts of
Fred and his mates to manhandle a piano somewhere, and I vaguely
recall the lyrics included something like

(etc.)

You mean:

Right said Fred, both of us together, one each end and steady as we go
Tried to to shift it, couldn't even lift it, we was getting nowhere
And so, we, had a cup of tea

Right said Fred, give a shout to Charlie, up comes Charlie from the
floor below
After straining, heaving and complaining, we was getting nowhere
And so, we, had a cup of tea

Charlie had a think and he thought we ought, to take off all the handles
And the things that hold the candles, but it did no good, well I never
thought it would

Right said Fred, have to take the feet off, to get them feet off
wouldn't take a mo
Took itĄs feet off, even with the seat off, should got us somewhere but
no
So Fred said lets have another cup of tea and we said right-o

Right said Fred, have to take the door off, need more space to shift the
so and so
Had bad twinges taking off the hinges, and it got us nowhere
And so, we, had a cup of tea

Right said Fred, have to take the wall down, that there wall is gonna
have to go
Took the wall down, even with it all down, we was getting nowhere
And so, we, had a cup of tea

Charlie had a think and and he said look Fred, I've got a sort of
feeling
If we remove the ceiling, with a rope or two we can drop the blighter
though

Right said Fred, climbing up a ladder, with his crowbar gave a mighty
blow
Was he in trouble, half a ton of rubble, landed on the top of his dome
So Charlie and me had another cup of tea and then we went home

I'll said to Charlie we'll just have to leave it standing on the landing
that's all
You see the trouble with Fred is he's too hasty
Now you never get nowhere if you're too hasty.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
N. Thornton

Terry Pinnell wrote in message . ..
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:
So what is the technique for
man-handling the chairs through a 'standard' door please?

If it's still too large by turning on its side, the arm rests often are
removable.

Thanks very much for all those helpful replies.

there are a few cases where it really is impossible to remove
furniture, eg due to building work having occurred after furniture
moved in. In those cases, one option is to fit some heavy duty
brackets and string the thing up, working beneath it.

NT
Terry Pinnell

wrote:

Thanks, Janet. Reminds me (betraying my age) of a hit single by
Bernard Cribbins, called 'Right Said Fred'. Described the attempts of
Fred and his mates to manhandle a piano somewhere, and I vaguely
recall the lyrics included something like

(etc.)

You mean:

snip full lyrics

That's the one!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

raden

In message , Terry Pinnell
writes

wrote:

Thanks, Janet. Reminds me (betraying my age) of a hit single by
Bernard Cribbins, called 'Right Said Fred'. Described the attempts of
Fred and his mates to manhandle a piano somewhere, and I vaguely
recall the lyrics included something like

Although nowhere does it actually mention it's a piano.

I learned it by heart together with "Hole in the Ground" (which in the
last few weeks I've realised is all about building an underground heat
store, although that's also not mentioned) at about the age of 12.

(etc.)

You mean:

snip full lyrics

That's the one!

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:41:05 UTC, raden wrote:

I learned it by heart together with "Hole in the Ground" (which in the
last few weeks I've realised is all about building an underground heat
store, although that's also not mentioned)

LOL! Of course, I now have to give those lyrics too. It is now of course
apparent that the bloke in the bowler hat is a building inspector (or
IMM?):

There I was, a-digging this hole
A hole in the ground, so big and sort of round it was
There was I, digging it deep
It was flat at at the bottom and the sides were steep
When along, comes this bloke in a bowler which he lifted and scratched
his head
Well we looked down the hole, poor demented soul and he said

Do you mind if I make a suggestion?

Don't dig there, dig it elsewhere
Your digging it round and it ought to be square
The shape of it's wrong, it's much much too long
And you can't put hole where a hole don't belong

I ask, what a liberty eh
Nearly bashed him right in the bowler

Well there was I, stood in me hole
Shovelling earth for all I was worth
There was him, standing up there
So grand and official with his nose in the air
So I gave him a look sort of sideways and I leaned on my shovel and
sighed

Well I lit me a fag and having took a drag I replied

I just couldn't bear, to dig it elsewhere
I'm digging it round cos I don't want it square
And if you disagree it don't bother me
That Ąs the place where the holes gonna be

Well there we were, discussing this hole
A hole in the groud so big and sort of round
Well it's not there now, the ground's all flat
And beneath it is the bloke in the bowler hat

And that's that

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:41:05 UTC, raden wrote:

I learned it by heart together with "Hole in the Ground" (which in the
last few weeks I've realised is all about building an underground heat
store, although that's also not mentioned)

LOL! Of course, I now have to give those lyrics too. It is now of course
apparent that the bloke in the bowler hat is a building inspector (or
IMM?):

Bernard Cribbins, where is he now ?

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 20:37:30 UTC, raden wrote:

Bernard Cribbins, where is he now ?

75 years old, still working (was in Coronation Street last year)! Also
in a minor film (about bowls players) called Blackball, again last year.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 20:37:30 UTC, raden wrote:

Bernard Cribbins, where is he now ?

75 years old, still working (was in Coronation Street last year

.... Having only (under duress) only ever seen one episode in my life,
not surprising I've not seen him recently then.

--
geoff

Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:23:16 UTC, raden wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 20:37:30 UTC, raden wrote:

Bernard Cribbins, where is he now ?

75 years old, still working (was in Coronation Street last year

... Having only (under duress) only ever seen one episode in my life,

Same here...the first episode!

But I looked him up....feeling bored tonight.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Terry Pinnell

Where do you get your lyrics please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

chris French

In message , Terry Pinnell
writes
Where do you get your lyrics please?

A quick Google will give the lyrics to most songs I should think.

For example, Here is two for RSF:

http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/abcd/bernardcribbins_rsf.htm

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=6684
--
Chris French, Leeds
Bob Eager

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:14:02 UTC, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Where do you get your lyrics please?

I just used Google - the ones I got for you were very near the top; I
had good search terms!

Think I used: right said fred cribbins lyrics

and I'm not sure with the other one...

Looking back, I appear to have used: www.codehot.co.uk

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

raden

In message , Terry Pinnell
writes
Where do you get your lyrics please?

I have them in my head which is why the lyrics vary slightly from those
posted, you can find them and others in my songbook which can be
downloaded from http://www.silat.org.uk along with various others

There are the odd few mistakes in it, but it was written in Indonesia
with limited access to source material

--
geoff
Peter Twydell

In article , N.
Thornton writes
Terry Pinnell wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:
So what is the technique for
man-handling the chairs through a 'standard' door please?

If it's still too large by turning on its side, the arm rests often are
removable.

Thanks very much for all those helpful replies.

there are a few cases where it really is impossible to remove
furniture, eg due to building work having occurred after furniture
moved in. In those cases, one option is to fit some heavy duty
brackets and string the thing up, working beneath it.

NT

BTDTGTTS

Our 3-piece was delivered while we were having an extension built. It
came in through the hole now occupied by the window here in my office,
and will have to go out the same way soon!
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Terry Pinnell

raden wrote:

In message , Terry Pinnell
writes
Where do you get your lyrics please?

I have them in my head which is why the lyrics vary slightly from those
posted, you can find them and others in my songbook which can be
downloaded from http://www.silat.org.uk along with various others

There are the odd few mistakes in it, but it was written in Indonesia
with limited access to source material

Brilliant! Thanks a lot, that will prove very useful when I'm fretting
over a vaguely-recalled lyric.

And now at last I know what the second line of 'All Shook Up' is
supposed to be! The new puzzle is: what exactly *is* a 'fuzzy tree'?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

raden

In message , Terry Pinnell
writes
raden wrote:

In message , Terry Pinnell
writes
Where do you get your lyrics please?

I have them in my head which is why the lyrics vary slightly from those
posted, you can find them and others in my songbook which can be
downloaded from http://www.silat.org.uk along with various others

There are the odd few mistakes in it, but it was written in Indonesia
with limited access to source material

Brilliant! Thanks a lot, that will prove very useful when I'm fretting
over a vaguely-recalled lyric.

And now at last I know what the second line of 'All Shook Up' is
supposed to be! The new puzzle is: what exactly *is* a 'fuzzy tree'?

Yeah, I pondered over that one, but not being an Elvis obsessive, I
moved on and pondered other thoughts

--
geoff