Vincenzo

Default flat roof needs replacement

hi, can you help me? i need to replace my flat roof on the bay. it is
felt.
can you suggest materials to use? someone suggested torch on felt? any
good sites to recommend for products or how to repalce?
regards Vincenzo
Tim

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:59:36 -0700, Vincenzo wrote:

hi, can you help me? i need to replace my flat roof on the bay. it is
felt.
can you suggest materials to use? someone suggested torch on felt? any
good sites to recommend for products or how to repalce?
regards Vincenzo

Hi. Changing the angle slightly, I did one in lead once.

Not as difficult as you would imagine - just need a lot of mental
preparation. If you can get it right it should last a very long time.

You would need a large roll of Code 4 lead, some patination oil, metal
shears and a couple of soft mallets plus hammer and clout nails.

The hard part is getting the joins and edges right - it's all in the
folds. But very satisfying when done.

If you are interested I can elaborate - but it's probably better to read a
book.

Took me a day solid to do a bay flat roof.

Timbo
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Vincenzo wrote:
hi, can you help me? i need to replace my flat roof on the bay. it is
felt.
can you suggest materials to use? someone suggested torch on felt? any
good sites to recommend for products or how to repalce?

If it's not a large area, anything other than felt. Lead, zinc or maybe
fibreglass.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Michael Chare

"Vincenzo" wrote in message
om...
hi, can you help me? i need to replace my flat roof on the bay. it is
felt.
can you suggest materials to use? someone suggested torch on felt? any
good sites to recommend for products or how to repalce?
regards Vincenzo

When an area of flat roof felt was replaced on my house I made sure that the
roofer used a high performance felt. These have a longer life span. I don't
remember the brand name.

Michael Chare

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Hi. Changing the angle slightly, I did one in lead once.

Not as difficult as you would imagine - just need a lot of mental
preparation. If you can get it right it should last a very long time.

You would need a large roll of Code 4 lead, some patination oil, metal
shears and a couple of soft mallets plus hammer and clout nails.

The hard part is getting the joins and edges right - it's all in the
folds. But very satisfying when done.

I've got a ground floor only bay, with a recessed flat roof as it were. It
was originally zinc, and I made a replacement zinc tray - using just the
metalwork 'skills' I could remember from school. And it's still fine many
years down the line. Zinc is possibly easier to work for a beginner -
assuming no fancy curves etc, as it's easy to solder.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

chris French

In message , Vincenzo
writes
hi, can you help me? i need to replace my flat roof on the bay. it is
felt.
can you suggest materials to use? someone suggested torch on felt?

Torch on felt isn't really something to try DIYing, if you want to use
felt you can get self adhesive systems- Wickes used to sell something.

Lead or Zinc as others is said is the best, if you don't feel up to that
a more durable alternative to felt is Butyl rubber.

http://www.midland-butyl.co.uk/

--
Chris French, Leeds
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:30:43 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If it's not a large area, anything other than felt. Lead, zinc or
maybe fibreglass.

Personally I'd avoid zinc, we had endless trouble with the large
valley on my parents semi. Stripped out the zinc fitted lead not a
problem since in, oo, 30 years... I like lead, only material for small
areas and flashings. He could go posh though and have copper. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
If it's not a large area, anything other than felt. Lead, zinc or
maybe fibreglass.

Personally I'd avoid zinc, we had endless trouble with the large
valley on my parents semi. Stripped out the zinc fitted lead not a
problem since in, oo, 30 years... I like lead, only material for small
areas and flashings. He could go posh though and have copper. B-)

Well, I had zinc in the aforementioned bay window roof and on top of the
rear dormer. My next door neighbour has the entire rear addition roof in
zinc. It would seem to have a pretty long life - perhaps 100 years or so.
Of course, like everything, it will depend on the construction and
workmanship.

Copper might not be out of the question for DIY if it's not too large.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ian Middleton

In my last house had a 2 foot width flat roof across front of house in poor
state when I moved in in 1990 (20years old). Took off all the stones, washed
off moss etc so I could reuse. Removed old felt, the wood underneath was OK
but there were many signs of slight water leakage. Got more felt from B&Q,
went for thickest and supposedly longest lasting + galvanised nails.

Inserted one edge under lead flashing on house side, held in place with felt
adhesive (Aquaseal or Febflex, long time ago can't remember). Might have
done two layers glued together. Other side folded round and nailed glued to
woodwork. Also glued a thin trip of along 90% of front edge of roof (under
the felt) to produce a slight lip to contain the stones and allow the water
to run off where it would not cause trouble, roof had slight slope to one
end. When felted I glued some stones to edge to stop rest of stones being
washed off, put stones + 1 bag more from B&Q back, job done.

Was still fine when I sold in 2000.

"Vincenzo" wrote in message
om...
hi, can you help me? i need to replace my flat roof on the bay. it is
felt.
can you suggest materials to use? someone suggested torch on felt? any
good sites to recommend for products or how to repalce?
regards Vincenzo

Hi Vincenzo

I recently had a flat roof problem and decided to put a fibreglass roof
on myself a DIY project. I came across an ebook book priced =A32
advertised in google sponserd links on the web at;

www.flatroof-advice.co.uk

It proved very beneficial it is in two sections one concerning hiring a
flat roofer, i.e. questions to ask, how much you should pay, what
materials should be used, how to avoid the "cowboys", what the isurance
and guarantees mean etc; and another section concerned with DIY which
included easy to understand graphic illustration. It was full of useful
information concerning all aspects of flat roofing, how to fit the
decking, different types of material, how to fit a warm roof, where to
source fibreglass supplies and how to apply it etc;
Best of luck with your roof;

and hope this is of help

Regards=20

Fred

Piched roof adjoining neighbour's flat roof Trevor Smith UK diy 3 April 12th 04 10:39 AM
Fibreglass flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 10 January 30th 04 09:56 PM
Flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 0 January 25th 04 12:27 PM
Flat roof in Western Scotland - your opinion please none none UK diy 17 January 14th 04 07:20 PM
flat roof - slope for run off duncan UK diy 3 July 13th 03 02:55 PM