Boovee

Default Best Condensing boilers

Hi, I`ve trawelled through the NG`s regarding this but there are a lot
of old posts on the subject. Can it be brought right bang up to date.
The questions I`d like to know please a
Are Condensing boilers now reliable?
If this is the case, are the Ravenheat models sold in B&Q any
good.....older posts suggest not but why would B&Q stock them in they
were inferior. Has this model improved? Is the Worcester still the
King of the boiler crop?
Why is there a reluctance for a fitter to suggest (or even pretend not
to know about!!) a condensing bolier? Around what sort of reasonable
price would I expect to pay for a good, not overly expensive decent
boiler? Any recommendations?
I am in the process of replacing my old gas boiler. The house will
need an extra 4 radiators taking the total to 10. What sort of BTU
rating condensating boiler would I need? I do not intend to run my two
showers of this new boiler (not yet any way).
Thanks in advance for the replies. I know there are lots of questions
but I have very limited time to get a replacement.......
DB
Andy Hall

On 29 Aug 2004 00:45:23 -0700, (Boovee) wrote:

Hi, I`ve trawelled through the NG`s regarding this but there are a lot
of old posts on the subject. Can it be brought right bang up to date.
The questions I`d like to know please a
Are Condensing boilers now reliable?

Definitely as long as you buy one manufactured in or using parts and
designs from Germany or Holland.

If this is the case, are the Ravenheat models sold in B&Q any
good.....older posts suggest not but why would B&Q stock them in they
were inferior. Has this model improved?

These are at the low end of the market to be kind about it.

Is the Worcester still the
King of the boiler crop?

It's one of the best among the boilers having large sales volume in
the UK, along with Vaillant. There are better products such as
Viessmann and MAN, but these are in the £1500 area.

Why is there a reluctance for a fitter to suggest (or even pretend not
to know about!!) a condensing bolier?

Because either they don't understand them or have been hanging around
plumber's merchants too much and listening to old wive's tales. The
early generation of UK manufactured condensing boilers were not
designed properly and used inappropriate materials. As a result they
were unreliable. The heating installation industry is conservative.

Within the next year or so, most new boilers sold will be condensing
types as a result of changes to the Building Regulations so they will
soon learn about them.

Around what sort of reasonable
price would I expect to pay for a good, not overly expensive decent
boiler? Any recommendations?

The Worcester Bosch products that you mention are considered to be
good products and value for money.

I am in the process of replacing my old gas boiler. The house will
need an extra 4 radiators taking the total to 10. What sort of BTU
rating condensating boiler would I need? I do not intend to run my two
showers of this new boiler (not yet any way).

Forget about using BTUs and work entirely in kW and metric units. The
arithmetic is easier and you won't make mistakes by accidentally
mixing units.

It is better to do a heat loss calculation for each room of the house
and work out the radiator sizings from that. You can then add those
together, apply a margin of say 20% and go from there. It is
meaningless to work in terms of number of radiators because they vary
in size enormously - from say 300W to 6kW.

You can get calculator programs from radiator manufacturer web sites
to do the sums.,

Having said that, modern condensing boilers modulate the heat output
to match the load, so the point is to go for an adequately large
boiler to cover the worst case. It will reduce output when the
weather is warmer.

If you use a fast revovery hot water cylinder, you will want plenty of
heat output from the boiler for that, which is why 25-30kW boilers
have become typical.

Thanks in advance for the replies. I know there are lots of questions
but I have very limited time to get a replacement.......
DB

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
fred

In article , Boovee
writes
[...]

If you're a bit tight then try to pick one from this list:
http://www.uselessenergy.org.uk/boilers_prices.asp
They're apparently a non profit organisation & the prices are the lowest I
have seen anywhere. Link courtesy of IMM.
--
fred
Andy Hall

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:13:57 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , Boovee
writes
[...]

There is, however a catch.

You have to buy through one of their approved installers, and there
does not appear to be any control over prices that they charge for
installation.

One can tell that this is not a commercial organisation. Who in
their right mind would call their website "uselessenergy".

I wonder if their products work with useful energy as well :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Not so. You can buy a boiler direct and when fitted they drop £50 off the
already very low prices. Ring them up. You have to pick up the boiler
yourself or the local Plumb Center may deliver free. That is something you
can arrange with them. They will send an info pack. The catch is if your
local council is in with the scheme.

John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

There is, however a catch.

Note also they quote prices exclusive of VAT - so remember to add that.

One can tell that this is not a commercial organisation. Who in
their right mind would call their website "uselessenergy".

I wonder if their products work with useful energy as well :-)

;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

There is, however a catch.

Note also they quote prices exclusive of VAT - so remember to add that.

They quote "inclusive" of VAT.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:56:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

There is, however a catch.

You have to buy through one of their
approved installers, and there
does not appear to be any control over
prices that they charge for installation.

Not so. You can buy a boiler direct and when fitted they drop £50 off the
already very low prices. Ring them up. You have to pick up the boiler
yourself or the local Plumb Center may deliver free. That is something you
can arrange with them. They will send an info pack. The catch is if your
local council is in with the scheme.

"Through EnergySmart, heating installers nationwide can access to
discounted solar systems and boilers. Through this service we aim to
increase the installations of these measures to make energy savings
and help the environment."

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"IMM" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

There is, however a catch.

Note also they quote prices exclusive of VAT - so remember to add that.

They quote "inclusive" of VAT.

Sorry got that wrong. Price are exclusive of VAT, but include the flue,
which many outlets do not.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

There is, however a catch.

You have to buy through one of their
approved installers, and there
does not appear to be any control over
prices that they charge for installation.

Not so. You can buy a boiler direct and when fitted they drop £50 off the
already very low prices. Ring them up. You have to pick up the boiler
yourself or the local Plumb Center may deliver free. That is something

you
can arrange with them. They will send an info pack. The catch is if your
local council is in with the scheme.

"Through EnergySmart, heating installers nationwide can access to
discounted solar systems and boilers. Through this service we aim to
increase the installations of these measures to make energy savings
and help the environment."

I said ring them up.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:16:09 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

There is, however a catch.

Note also they quote prices exclusive of VAT - so remember to add that.

They quote "inclusive" of VAT.

"Prices exclude VAT but include Standard Flue, Fixing Jig, and LPG
conversion kit where appropriate."

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

There is, however a catch.

You have to buy through one of their
approved installers, and there
does not appear to be any control over
prices that they charge for installation.

Not so. You can buy a boiler direct and when fitted they drop £50 off the
already very low prices. Ring them up. You have to pick up the boiler
yourself or the local Plumb Center may deliver free. That is something

you
can arrange with them. They will send an info pack. The catch is if your
local council is in with the scheme.

"Through EnergySmart, heating installers nationwide can access to
discounted solar systems and boilers. Through this service we aim to
increase the installations of these measures to make energy savings
and help the environment."

I said ring them up.

What is the catch with the local authority, apart from the obvious
drawback of doing anything involving them?

Are you saying that it is not a condition of the scheme to use one of
their registered installers?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
What is the catch with the local authority, apart from the obvious
drawback of doing anything involving them?

Are you saying that it is not a condition of the scheme to use one of
their registered installers?

You can't get a grant unless you use a registered installer?

--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 01:57:11 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
What is the catch with the local authority, apart from the obvious
drawback of doing anything involving them?

Are you saying that it is not a condition of the scheme to use one of
their registered installers?

You can't get a grant unless you use a registered installer?

That's what I'm asking. It's what the site suggests in that it tells
the installer how to order.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John

"Boovee" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I`ve trawelled through the NG`s regarding this but there are a lot
of old posts on the subject. Can it be brought right bang up to date.
The questions I`d like to know please a
Are Condensing boilers now reliable?

MUCH better now but I'd suggest you opt for one with a stainless steel heat
exchanger rather than Aluminium purely from personal experience of failures
of Aluminium ones

If this is the case, are the Ravenheat models sold in B&Q any
good.....older posts suggest not but why would B&Q stock them in they
were inferior. Has this model improved? Is the Worcester still the
King of the boiler crop?

Personally I'd go for a Glow Worm HXi model of appropriate rating. (Cxi if a
Combi)
Be aware however that if you expect it to give its full performance your
existing radiator sizing "may" not be optimal.

Why is there a reluctance for a fitter to suggest (or even pretend not
to know about!!) a condensing bolier? Around what sort of reasonable
price would I expect to pay for a good, not overly expensive decent
boiler? Any recommendations?

For a long time I advised my customers to consider ALL the implications
fully before blindly going for a condenser but apart from the practicality
of routing a condensate to waste pipe there isn't really a lot of other work
for the installer. Now maintaining it afterwards requires a lot more
technical ability but most of the plumbers avoid this sort of follow up work
like the plague, prefering to let those who can do this sort of work.

I am in the process of replacing my old gas boiler. The house will
need an extra 4 radiators taking the total to 10. What sort of BTU
rating condensating boiler would I need? I do not intend to run my two
showers of this new boiler (not yet any way).

This sort of question cannot be answered simply. You will have to carry out
a proper analysis of the house heating loading using one of the recognised
methods such as the Myson HeatLossManager program. I undestand this is not
presently available on their website but someone on here is usually able to
email you a copy.

Thanks in advance for the replies. I know there are lots of questions
but I have very limited time to get a replacement.......
DB

Winter is weeks away yet (I hope)

IMM

"John" wrote in message

"Boovee" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I`ve trawelled through the NG`s regarding this but there are a lot
of old posts on the subject. Can it be brought right bang up to date.
The questions I`d like to know please a
Are Condensing boilers now reliable?

MUCH better now but I'd suggest you opt
for one with a stainless steel heat
exchanger rather than Aluminium purely
from personal experience of failures
of Aluminium ones

You obviously don't know much about boilers then. The current aluminium
boilers are silicon coated.

If this is the case, are the Ravenheat models sold in B&Q any
good.....older posts suggest not but why would B&Q stock them in they
were inferior. Has this model improved? Is the Worcester still the
King of the boiler crop?

Personally I'd go for a Glow Worm HXi model of appropriate rating. (Cxi if

Combi)
Be aware however that if you expect it to give its full performance your
existing radiator sizing "may" not be optimal.

Why is there a reluctance for a fitter to suggest (or even pretend not
to know about!!) a condensing bolier? Around what sort of reasonable
price would I expect to pay for a good, not overly expensive decent
boiler? Any recommendations?

For a long time I advised my customers
to consider ALL the implications
fully before blindly going for a condenser

And what might they be? What are all these ALL implications?

but apart from the practicality
of routing a condensate to waste pipe
there isn't really a lot of other work
for the installer. Now maintaining it
afterwards requires a lot more
technical ability but most of the plumbers
avoid this sort of follow up work
like the plague, prefering to let those
who can do this sort of work.

Plumbers are good for drains an gutters. Heating should be left to heating
engineers. The maintenance of a condensing boiler is no different to a
regular system boiler.

This man calls himself the boilerdoc. What a cheek.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

Not all LAs are in the scheme, although most are.

Are you saying that it is not a condition of the scheme to use one of
their registered installers?

Yes. Ring them up. They will supply only, and drop you £50 when fitted, by
way of a letter from you.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:10:02 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Not all LAs are in the scheme, although most are.

Are you saying that it is not a condition of the scheme to use one of
their registered installers?

Yes. Ring them up. They will supply only, and drop you £50 when fitted, by
way of a letter from you.

I may do.

I still wonder whether the overall cost including fitting will be
cheaper however. If the fitter doesn't make a margin on the boiler
purchase because the price is now exposed to the customer, he would
probably want to make it up on the fitting - unless short of work of
course. All assuming that the customer doesn't DIY the
installation.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , IMM writes

"John" wrote in message

"Boovee" wrote in message
om...
[...]

So why are you getting involved in the thread?

--
geoff
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:06:47 +0100, IMM wrote:

Plumbers are good for drains an gutters. Heating should be left to heating
engineers. The maintenance of a condensing boiler is no different to a
regular system boiler.

This man calls himself the boilerdoc. What a cheek.

Since when do you wash down ordinary heat exchangers?
Since when did you do this?

Burners on condening boilers are invariable of the forced premix type.
Burners on non-condensing domestic boilers are invariable atmospheric.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

John

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

So why are you getting involved in the thread?

--
geoff

Don't waste bandwidth on him Geoff. Its a total waste of time and effort,
which is precisely why he's locked in my killfile system. (In fact if you
don't quote him I don't see him)

Don't forget also his first appearance in this group asking for help in
understanding latent heat and flow/volume. Also his long repeated dirges
extolling combis before admitting he didn't actually have one at that time -
perhaps he now has???

IMM

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:06:47 +0100, IMM wrote:

Plumbers are good for drains an gutters. Heating should be left to

heating
engineers. The maintenance of a condensing boiler is no different to a
regular system boiler.

This man calls himself the boilerdoc. What a cheek.

Since when do you wash down ordinary heat exchangers?
Since when did you do this?

????

Burners on condening boilers are invariable
of the forced premix type.
Burners on non-condensing domestic boilers
are invariable atmospheric.

Not always the case. A pre-mix is not complicated.,but is for dumb plumbers.

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

"John" wrote in message

"Boovee" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Maxie, I thougt you had gone off to the far east again.

raden

In message , IMM writes

Plumbers are good for drains an gutters. Heating should be left to

heating
engineers.

So why are you getting involved in the thread?

Maxie, I thougt you had gone off to the far east again.

That's your problem isn't it .... always getting things wrong

--
geoff
Kalico

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:47:17 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

[snip]

You can get calculator programs from radiator manufacturer web sites
to do the sums.,

Do you know of a good site for sizing rads Andy?

TIA
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Andy Hall

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:09:41 +0100, Kalico wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:47:17 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

[snip]

You can get calculator programs from radiator manufacturer web sites
to do the sums.,

Do you know of a good site for sizing rads Andy?

TIA
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Rob,

I've emailed you a copy of the Myson one.
It's not up on their site at the moment.

It does give correct results, but do check the U values against those
in the Building Regulations Approved Documents (www.odpm.gov.uk). I
found that a couple were wrong in the program.

None of the on line sites that I have tried give correct results and
at least one was out by a factor of 4.

When using the Myson one (and looking at data sheets for radiators),
don't forget to look at the derating factors. If you are going to run
your system at the traditional 82degree/70 degree temperatures then
the published radiator outputs have to be reduced by 11% - i.e. a
nominal 1000W radiator really gives 890W at these temperatures.
If you are doing an entirely new system with a condensing boiler, you
can run it at 70degrees flow/50degrees return. In this case, you
need to derate the radiators by 40%. You can't really mix the two
scenarios.

You begin by calculating the room heat losses at -3 degrees and then
divide by 0.6 or 0.89 as appropriate.

Even if you have to run a condensing boiler system at nominal 82/70
degrees it is still worth doing because the calculations are for worst
case. During spring and autumn the boiler will run at lower
temperatures anyway.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

There is, however a catch.

You have to buy through one of their
approved installers, and there
does not appear to be any control over
prices that they charge for installation.

Not so. You can buy a boiler direct and when fitted they drop £50 off the
already very low prices. Ring them up. You have to pick up the boiler
yourself or the local Plumb Center may deliver free. That is something

you
can arrange with them. They will send an info pack. The catch is if your
local council is in with the scheme.

"Through EnergySmart, heating installers nationwide can access to
discounted solar systems and boilers. Through this service we aim to
increase the installations of these measures to make energy savings
and help the environment."

I said ring them up.

I just did and to apply, you have to provide the name and details of a
CORGI installer. This is not a DIY scheme.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

Not when I rang.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:44:03 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Through EnergySmart, heating installers nationwide can access to
discounted solar systems and boilers. Through this service we aim to
increase the installations of these measures to make energy savings
and help the environment."

I said ring them up.

I just did and to apply, you have to provide the name and details of a
CORGI installer. This is not a DIY scheme.

Not when I rang.

I guess that you didn't ask all the questions......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"John" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

So why are you getting involved in the thread?

--
geoff

Don't waste bandwidth on
him Geoff.

Our supposed boiler expert. this one hasn't a clue. He didn't know that
condensing boiler than achieve over 100% efficiency. Some expert. More
like a cowboy who should be avoided at all costs.

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

Plumbers are good for drains an gutters. Heating should be left to

heating
engineers.

So why are you getting involved in the thread?

Maxie, I thougt you had gone off to the far east again.

That's your problem isn't it .... always getting things wrong

Maxie, it is your problem. Are you stocking up on bike clips? Are bike
clips in short supply?

Andy Hall

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:37:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:44:03 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Through EnergySmart, heating installers nationwide can access to
discounted solar systems and boilers. Through this service we aim to
increase the installations of these measures to make energy savings
and help the environment."

I said ring them up.

I just did and to apply, you have to provide the name and details of a
CORGI installer. This is not a DIY scheme.

Not when I rang.

I guess that you didn't ask all the questions......

I did.

Got different answers then, didn't you...

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:01:08 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

So why are you getting involved in the thread?

--
geoff

Don't waste bandwidth on
him Geoff.

Our supposed boiler expert. this one hasn't a clue. He didn't know that
condensing boiler than achieve over 100% efficiency.

You know very well that the stated efficiency depends on the method of
measurement and that different schemes are in use.

Some expert. More
like a cowboy who should be avoided at all costs.

Thank you John Wayne......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:37:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:44:03 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Through EnergySmart, heating installers nationwide can access to
discounted solar systems and boilers. Through this service we aim

increase the installations of these measures to make energy

savings
and help the environment."

I said ring them up.

I just did and to apply, you have to provide the name and details of

CORGI installer. This is not a DIY scheme.

Not when I rang.

I guess that you didn't ask all the questions......

I did.

Got different answers then, didn't you...

Depends on what questions you ask.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:01:08 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM

writes

So why are you getting involved in the thread?

--
geoff

Don't waste bandwidth on
him Geoff.

Our supposed boiler expert. this one hasn't a clue. He didn't know that
condensing boiler than achieve over 100% efficiency.

You know very well that the stated efficiency depends on the method of
measurement and that different schemes are in use.

I do know very well, but this turkey never.

Some expert. More
like a cowboy who should be avoided at all costs.

Thank you John Wayne......

Mr Wayne should be avoided at all costs. And that's not Wayne Rooney. He
is a footballer by the way. If you are in the real world you would have
read or heard his name today. Wayne doesn't do boilers though, although he
is now working for an old Scottish boiler.

raden

In message , IMM writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

You probably misled them into believing that you were CORGI Regd

--
geoff
IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:21:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

Maxie, nope.

raden

In message , IMM writes

"John" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

So why are you getting involved in the thread?

--
geoff

Don't waste bandwidth on
him Geoff.

Our supposed boiler expert. this one hasn't a clue. He didn't know that
condensing boiler than achieve over 100% efficiency. Some expert. More
like a cowboy who should be avoided at all costs.

It's been discussed before

So are you saying you get more energy out than you put in ?

That's what 100% really means

look it up on a website ...

--
geoff