KD

Default Sockets near a sink

Hi all,
Daft question of the day time ....
I know that there are regs regarding power sockets in bathrooms etc. but are
there any guidelines about the proximity of power sockets near a sink. The
reason I ask is that it appears that the builders have potentially f***ked
up yet again on the wiring of our house and that the utility room double
sockets are directly over the draining board which requires running of power
cables to other appliances along the splashback area behind the taps. The
plans of the house show that these are in the wrong place but I just thought
I'd check my position legally/regs wise.

Thanks for any help,
Keith

P.S. To make this on topic I'm considering a fix myself :-)

KD

"KD" wrote in message
[...]

Apologies for too many asterisks in the swearword :-)

Tim S

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:59:29 +0100, KD wrote:

Hi all,
Daft question of the day time ....
I know that there are regs regarding power sockets in bathrooms etc. but are
there any guidelines about the proximity of power sockets near a sink. The
reason I ask is that it appears that the builders have potentially f***ked
up yet again on the wiring of our house and that the utility room double
sockets are directly over the draining board which requires running of power
cables to other appliances along the splashback area behind the taps. The
plans of the house show that these are in the wrong place but I just thought
I'd check my position legally/regs wise.

Thanks for any help,
Keith

P.S. To make this on topic I'm considering a fix myself :-)

Hi

Don't have an IEE Regs book to hand. I thought it used to be a prescibed
distance was required between any outlet (that doesn't run through an
isolating transformer, eg shaver socket) and a wet facility - the distance
was something sensible to make it difficult to touch the socket *and* a
tap at the same time - or be in a natural position to touch the socket
with wet hands (near sink, bath, shower etc).

I might be talking rubbish - can't remember for sure.

Anyway - in such a case, common sense has some application - it's a bl**dy
stupid place to site a socket and if it were me I'd move it or blank it
off. Do you have RCD protection on that circuit at the consumer unit?

Of course - you want the legal position in case you can sue the builders -
I'll have to defer to someone more knowledgeable :-(

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Timbo

PS - If you want a laugh, I remember using a shower in Italy 20 years ago
(Rome IIRC), and the light switch was wall mounted *just* outside of the
shower curtain.

The plumbing was crap too - flush the bog whilst draining a bath and bits
of bog paper appeared out of the bath plughole. Yuk.

vivienne wykes

Hi There,

As a general rule of thumb imagine a standard uk kettle with an average
power lead.
The IEE distance regulation is there to stop you filling the Kettle or
toaster if inebriated with water while it is plugged into the mains. Sort of
protect people from themselves kind of thing. We have t consider the hard of
thinking.
regards
Jim
"KD" wrote in message
[...]

nog

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:08:07 GMT, vivienne wykes wrote:

Hi There,

As a general rule of thumb imagine a standard uk kettle with an average
power lead.
The IEE distance regulation is there to stop you filling the Kettle or
toaster if inebriated with water while it is plugged into the mains.

Liquor is quicker. ;-)

Graeme

"nog" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:08:07 GMT, vivienne wykes wrote:

Hi There,

As a general rule of thumb imagine a standard uk kettle with an average
power lead.
The IEE distance regulation is there to stop you filling the Kettle or
toaster if inebriated with water while it is plugged into the mains.

Liquor is quicker. ;-)

But water sure cuts down on the alcohol bills.

Christian McArdle

I know that there are regs regarding power sockets in bathrooms etc. but
are
there any guidelines about the proximity of power sockets near a sink.

There was no standard distance last time I looked (I don't have the absolute
latest regs). However, there is a general rule that sockets must be suitable
for the location in which they are installed. This is usually taken to mean
30cm from a sink. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned with distance from
a draining board, provided it is a reasonable height above the surface.
OTOH, they aren't particularly useful there as the leads trail on the
draining board, so an additional socket in a more convenient location would
be better.

Christian.

IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

As it happens...I have just been a brand new house. A double socket was
about 15" from the socket to the end of the drainer. the average kettle
lead would reach the mixer tap. There was no socket on the basin side of
the sink top. although CH programmer was on the walls here, that maybe
precluded a socket. I assume this was installed to current regs.

Christian McArdle

As it happens...I have just been a brand new house.

It must have been quite boring, just sitting there on a corner plot.

Christian.

caledonianstill

KD wrote:
Hi all,
Daft question of the day time ....
I know that there are regs regarding power sockets in bathrooms etc.
but are there any guidelines about the proximity of power sockets
near a sink. The reason I ask is that it appears that the builders
have potentially f***ked up yet again on the wiring of our house and
that the utility room double sockets are directly over the draining
board which requires running of power cables to other appliances
along the splashback area behind the taps. The plans of the house
show that these are in the wrong place but I just thought I'd check
my position legally/regs wise.

We have some at work like this. In the kitchenette area, there is a
double socket into which is plugged a fridge and an instant boiling
water thingy. The socket is located approx 3 inches behind horizontally
and about 5 inches above the sink, on the wall immediately behind. I can
touch the tap with my thumb and the socket with my finger on the same
hand.

Richard Savage

Former girlfriend's second kitchen has CU mounted approx 4" above
draining board. To make matters worse she has had the house re-wired!!!!

Richard

KD

"KD" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the replies as of 23.00 on 24/08. It seems as though these
is no real requirement for the sockets to be away from the sink which is a
shame. It has taken over a year for these crap builders to replace a
worktop and sink and now, when they've finally done it, I've realised that
the sockets are in the wrong place according to the plans. Having no faith
in the builders adherance to these plans and claiming that they can change
them when they want I'm a bit disappointed to say the least. I was
basically after a little more, possibly legal, ammo to get them to sort this
out. To have my appliance, a breadmaker, in the utility room I will now
have to dangle the appliance cord behind the sink and taps which I don't
think is acceptable but YMMV. Oh well. Thanks once again for all help so
far.

Keith

Phil Nettleton

there are regs concerning this it`s reg 528-02 proximity to non electrical
services
528-02-04 where a wiring system is installed in proximity to a
non-electrical service it shall be so arranged that any forseeable operation
carried out on either service will not cause damage to the other

so if when you turn on the tap and it splashes the socket it fails this reg
or if when you plug in an appliance and the cable hangs in the bowl of the
sink this would also fail
having said that common sence would normally mean you wouldn`t put it that
close but as common sence isn`t sold in boxes or tubes you`ll always get
these probs
hope this helps
phil N

"KD" wrote in message
[...]

raden

In message , Phil Nettleton
writes
there are regs concerning this it`s reg 528-02 proximity to non electrical
services
528-02-04 where a wiring system is installed in proximity to a
non-electrical service it shall be so arranged that any forseeable operation
carried out on either service will not cause damage to the other

so if when you turn on the tap and it splashes the socket it fails this reg
or if when you plug in an appliance and the cable hangs in the bowl of the
sink this would also fail
having said that common sence would normally mean you wouldn`t put it that
close but as common sence isn`t sold in boxes or tubes you`ll always get
these probs
hope this helps
phil N

Phil, can you learn not to top post as is the convention in this NG
please

--
geoff

Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Single sink for sale PoP UK diy 0 March 4th 04 04:54 PM
Blanco sink - create own punch outs? blue Home Repair 8 December 21st 03 06:19 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM
Kitchen Double Sink Suds Problem Robert Home Repair 3 September 7th 03 01:25 PM