Paper2002AD

Default Cautioary tale of a fractured wrist

Typing this with my left hand due to the fact that the other is incased in a
plaster cast.

Drilling a 15mm hole through an external cavity wall, the drill bit jammed and
the drill kicked back. I don't know what I could have done to avoid this,
since I was holding the drill firmly, using the auxilliary handle too.

It hurt at the time, but throughout the day my right wrist got more and more
swollen and painfull.

Went to A & E, where an X-ray revealed a broken bone. It still bloody hurts
this morning - but how long to heal guys? W were supposed to be going off next
week on the boat, but at the moment I couldn't even lift a lock key, let alone
work any of the dozens of locks along our planned route.
IMM

"Paper2002AD" wrote in message
[...]

Should have used an SES drill with a slip clutch. Wise in hindsight..

:::Jerry::::

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

What ever IMM, after all you know all about wrist problems, your right one
must be subject to RSI almost continually.

BTW you are breaking the AUP of individual.net, which I assume you have
read.

Tom

[...]

I always remember during my apprentiship days (1950s) when I had to do a
stint in a workshop with machine tools, an old codger (the boss) told me
that "there were more accidents using a drill than any other machine in the
workshop, however, thankfully, they were rarely fatal", but there were quite
a few machinists sporting bald spots , these were the days before chuck
guards became compulsory.
I think it depends which bone you broke, when I broke radius and ulna many
years ago it took about 6 weeks I think
Good Luck
Tom

:::Jerry::::

"Tom" wrote in message

snip

I always remember during my apprentiship days (1950s) when I had to do a
stint in a workshop with machine tools, an old codger (the boss) told me
that "there were more accidents using a drill than any other machine in

the
workshop, however, thankfully, they were rarely fatal", but there were

quite
a few machinists sporting bald spots , these were the days before chuck
guards became compulsory.

Yes, I'll always remember being shown H&S publication which had a picture of
a pillar drill with a human scalp wrapped around the chuck...

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Paper2002AD
URL:mailto
Drilling a 15mm hole through an external cavity wall, the drill bit jammed and
the drill kicked back. I don't know what I could have done to avoid this,
since I was holding the drill firmly, using the auxilliary handle too.

Purely for interest, did the drill have a clutch?

John Woodhall

"Tom" wrote in message

[...]

6 to 8 weeks for arms. It wil be another month at least after that before
you get full movement back due to muscle wastage. :-(

Paper2002AD

No!
Paper2002AD

When I was an engineering apprentice, we too were shown the scalp one, and also
a finger, complete with a few inches of tendon, and still with a gold ring
attached to it. The moral being, don't wear a ring whilst operating machinery.
I've never forgotten the words of one of our instructors - 'Machines don't
care lad' - how right he was!
:::Jerry::::

"Paper2002AD" wrote in message
No!

???? !!!!!!

Richard J.

Paper2002AD wrote:
No!

First of all, sorry to hear about your wrist.

Please would you retain at least some of the post you are responding to,
so that people reading the latest posts don't have to display all
previous ones and track back up the thread to find out what the question
was.

(He was answering the question "Did the drill have a clutch?")

--
Richard J.

Bob Eager

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:08:06 UTC, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

My estimate is six weeks, and careful use after that for several
months. It depends how old you are.

To continue the D-I-Y theme....taking comfrey is supposed to (and some
studies have verified) speed up the bone knitting.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

My estimate is six weeks, and careful use after that for several
months. It depends how old you are.

To continue the D-I-Y theme....taking comfrey is supposed to (and some
studies have verified) speed up the bone knitting.
--
Bob Eager

yeah 6 weeks is pretty average - although my thumb took about 8 weeks after
smashing it in the car door (I still cringe thinking of that - between two
metal edges with about 2mm gap, and the lock grabbed too!) , while after
breaking my elbow (yeah I had a bad 2003!) I was out of the sling in about 3
weeks and urged to move it as soon as possible to stop the joint stiffening
up.

Paper2002AD

Bugger!

John Rumm

IMM wrote:

Should have used an SES drill with a slip clutch. Wise in hindsight..

What, not a budget tool? I thought decent ones were only for "the pros'".

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike Hibbert

"Paper2002AD" wrote in message
Bugger!

All is not lost!

Explain the art of opening and closing loack to the missus. Sit back with
beer in hand and practice the following phrase....

'I'd love to help, but my arm's just not up to it. Can you grab me another
beer when you've done this lock please?'

Mike

:::Jerry::::

"Paper2002AD" wrote in message
Bugger!

FFS, learn to post.

Paper2002AD

FFS, learn to post.

OK
The Natural Philosopher

Paper2002AD wrote:

Typing this with my left hand due to the fact that the other is incased in a
plaster cast.

Drilling a 15mm hole through an external cavity wall, the drill bit jammed and
the drill kicked back. I don't know what I could have done to avoid this,
since I was holding the drill firmly, using the auxilliary handle too.

It hurt at the time, but throughout the day my right wrist got more and more
swollen and painfull.

Went to A & E, where an X-ray revealed a broken bone. It still bloody hurts
this morning - but how long to heal guys? W were supposed to be going off next
week on the boat, but at the moment I couldn't even lift a lock key, let alone
work any of the dozens of locks along our planned route.

6 weeks m8. Hurts like buggery for at least 2 getting worse all the time.

Then it gradually fades.

Wife will have to work teh locks while you shout instructions.

Should be useable if you can stand the pain tho - lots of Jockeys ride
like that.

The other common cause of that injury is people who hood steering wheel
spokes not the rim, and have a crash...

Paper2002AD

Wife will have to work teh locks while you shout instructions.

Trouble is, sh doesn't enjoy the best of health and can't manage the locks -
damn good at steering into them tho

Dave Liquorice

On 22 Aug 2004 14:33:03 GMT, Paper2002AD wrote:

Wife will have to work teh locks while you shout instructions.

Trouble is, sh doesn't enjoy the best of health and can't manage the
locks - damn good at steering into them tho

Isn't this why you take out insurance?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Owain

"Paper2002AD" wrote
| Wife will have to work teh locks while you shout instructions.
| Trouble is, sh doesn't enjoy the best of health and can't manage
| the locks - damn good at steering into them tho

She can't really complain then if you suggest getting a third person along
to crew for you. Perhaps a nice muscular Finnish girl who could work the
locks and also do the cooking.

Owain

BillV

"Tom" wrote in message

"Paper2002AD" wrote in message
Typing this with my left hand due to the fact that the other is incased

in
plaster cast.

Drilling a 15mm hole through an external cavity wall, the drill bit

jammed
and
the drill kicked back. I don't know what I could have done to avoid

this,
Should've used a drill with a clutch...
[snip]
I always remember during my apprentiship days (1950s) when I had to do a
stint in a workshop with machine tools, an old codger (the boss) told me
that "there were more accidents using a drill than any other machine in

the
workshop, however, thankfully, they were rarely fatal", but there were

quite
a few machinists sporting bald spots ....

Was that before they discovered machine oil caused scrotal cancer?

I do know of a young family that lost their father through drilling
intocable in wall whilst standing in a puddle

BillV

"Owain" wrote in message
"Paper2002AD" wrote
| Wife will have to work teh locks while you shout instructions.
| Trouble is, sh doesn't enjoy the best of health and can't manage
| the locks - damn good at steering into them tho

She can't really complain then if you suggest getting a third person along
to crew for you. Perhaps a nice muscular Finnish girl who could work the
locks and also do the cooking.

Thats a good idea! If she can double up as a very strict nurse, even
better...

Paper2002AD

Wife will have to work teh locks while you shout instructions.

Trouble is, sh doesn't enjoy the best of health and can't manage the
locks - damn good at steering into them tho

Isn't this why you take out insurance?

--

What's insurance going to do for me?

Owain

"Paper2002AD" wrote
| Wife will have to work teh locks while you shout instructions.
| Trouble is, sh doesn't enjoy the best of health and can't manage the
| locks - damn good at steering into them tho
| Isn't this why you take out insurance?
| What's insurance going to do for me?

Pay for a nice muscular Finnish girl...

Owain

:::Jerry::::

"Paper2002AD" wrote in message
Wife will have to work teh locks while you shout instructions.

Trouble is, sh doesn't enjoy the best of health and can't manage the
locks - damn good at steering into them tho

Isn't this why you take out insurance?

What's insurance going to do for me?

Refund any out of pocket expencies ?

I think people were assuming that you were booked on to a canal holiday and
would be unable to go now, if how ever you have your own barge....

Paper2002AD

What's insurance going to do for me?

Refund any out of pocket expencies ?

I think people were assuming that you were booked on to a canal holiday and
would be unable to go now, if how ever you have your own barge....

Sorry - I should have made that clear. Moving house recently has curtailed our
cruising activities this summer, and the next two weeks on our boat was going
to be a great unwinder.

Can't be helped though - tks to all you lot for the tea and sympathy