John Woodhall

"Tom" wrote in message

"Paper2002AD" wrote in message
Typing this with my left hand due to the fact that the other is incased

in
plaster cast.

Drilling a 15mm hole through an external cavity wall, the drill bit

jammed
and
the drill kicked back. I don't know what I could have done to avoid

this,
since I was holding the drill firmly, using the auxilliary handle too.

It hurt at the time, but throughout the day my right wrist got more and

more
swollen and painfull.

Went to A & E, where an X-ray revealed a broken bone. It still bloody

hurts
this morning - but how long to heal guys? W were supposed to be going

off
next
week on the boat, but at the moment I couldn't even lift a lock key, let

alone
work any of the dozens of locks along our planned route.

I always remember during my apprentiship days (1950s) when I had to do a
stint in a workshop with machine tools, an old codger (the boss) told me
that "there were more accidents using a drill than any other machine in

the
workshop, however, thankfully, they were rarely fatal", but there were

quite
a few machinists sporting bald spots , these were the days before chuck
guards became compulsory.
I think it depends which bone you broke, when I broke radius and ulna many
years ago it took about 6 weeks I think
Good Luck
Tom

6 to 8 weeks for arms. It wil be another month at least after that before
you get full movement back due to muscle wastage. :-(