My estimate is six weeks, and careful use after that for several
months. It depends how old you are.

To continue the D-I-Y theme....taking comfrey is supposed to (and some
studies have verified) speed up the bone knitting.
--
Bob Eager

yeah 6 weeks is pretty average - although my thumb took about 8 weeks after
smashing it in the car door (I still cringe thinking of that - between two
metal edges with about 2mm gap, and the lock grabbed too!) , while after
breaking my elbow (yeah I had a bad 2003!) I was out of the sling in about 3
weeks and urged to move it as soon as possible to stop the joint stiffening
up.