NealUK

Default 10mm Steel Rod 1m

Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a metre in
length (not threaded)?

I am proposing to construct a temporary motorbike centre stand (through the
12mm gap in the swingarm), for use in the garage, so that the front wheel
can be easily taken off.

In the past i have had to suspend the bike from garage rafters using ropes
(after driving the front wheel up a car ramp, lash the ropes around the
steering head and rafters, then slowly let the bike roll backwards, and the
rope take the strain. Move the ramp out the way, and one suspended bike.)

Obviously the rope/rafter thing is not ideal, so i am looking at supporting
it through the hollow swing arm bolt, hence the need for 10mm steel rod.

If anyone has any ideas, i would love to hear them.
Cheers
Neal

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
NealUK wrote:
Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a metre in
length (not threaded)?

The larger B&Qs have plain steel rods of various sizes.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , NealUK writes
Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a metre in
length (not threaded)?

I am proposing to construct a temporary motorbike centre stand (through the
12mm gap in the swingarm), for use in the garage, so that the front wheel
can be easily taken off.

In the past i have had to suspend the bike from garage rafters using ropes
(after driving the front wheel up a car ramp, lash the ropes around the
steering head and rafters, then slowly let the bike roll backwards, and the
rope take the strain. Move the ramp out the way, and one suspended bike.)

Obviously the rope/rafter thing is not ideal, so i am looking at supporting
it through the hollow swing arm bolt, hence the need for 10mm steel rod.

If anyone has any ideas, i would love to hear them.

You could try http://www.cromwell.co.uk/

or ask in uk.rec.motorcycles

How about a couple of pieces of Dexion ?

--
geoff
nightjar

"NealUK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a metre in
length (not threaded)?

Look in Yellow Pages for steel stokholders. That is probably a bit long to
find in their offcuts bin, so you may need to pay a cutting charge, although
it may be as cheap to buy a full length, if you can get it home.

Colin Bignell

Charles Fearnley

"NealUK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a
metre in length (not threaded)?

Look in Yellow Pages for steel stokholders. That is probably a bit
long to find in their offcuts bin, so you may need to pay a cutting
charge, although it may be as cheap to buy a full length, if you can
get it home.

Colin Bignell

Where are you? SW london has a good metal dealer which will have this - I
can add more details if this ia any good

Charles F

Jerry Built

NealUK wrote:
Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about
a metre in length (not threaded)?

Go to Jewson and buy some concrete re-inforcing bar - not
the ribbed kind, though.

J.B.

fred

In article , nightjar
writes

"NealUK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a metre in
length (not threaded)?

Look in Yellow Pages for steel stokholders. That is probably a bit long to
find in their offcuts bin, so you may need to pay a cutting charge, although
it may be as cheap to buy a full length, if you can get it home.

and Metal Supermarkets in particular, nationwide franchise, no minimum
charge, free cuts.
--
fred
Rick Dipper

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:50:12 +0100, "NealUK" wrote:

Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a metre in
length (not threaded)?

I am proposing to construct a temporary motorbike centre stand (through the
12mm gap in the swingarm), for use in the garage, so that the front wheel
can be easily taken off.

In the past i have had to suspend the bike from garage rafters using ropes
(after driving the front wheel up a car ramp, lash the ropes around the
steering head and rafters, then slowly let the bike roll backwards, and the
rope take the strain. Move the ramp out the way, and one suspended bike.)

Obviously the rope/rafter thing is not ideal, so i am looking at supporting
it through the hollow swing arm bolt, hence the need for 10mm steel rod.

If anyone has any ideas, i would love to hear them.
Cheers
Neal

Clwyd Reinforcements

Rick

NealUK

Charles Fearnley wrote:
"NealUK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a
metre in length (not threaded)?

Look in Yellow Pages for steel stokholders. That is probably a bit
long to find in their offcuts bin, so you may need to pay a cutting
charge, although it may be as cheap to buy a full length, if you can
get it home.

Colin Bignell

Where are you? SW london has a good metal dealer which will have this
- I can add more details if this ia any good

Charles F

NW London, but if you can gfive me the details as i may go South at some
point
cheers
Neal

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
NealUK wrote:
Where are you? SW london has a good metal dealer which will have this
- I can add more details if this ia any good

Charles F

NW London, but if you can gfive me the details as i may go South at some
point

For a metre of steel rod, why not simply go to B&Q? The chances of you
having a proper dealer closer who would save you the petrol money is
fairly slim.

I'd guess he means George King Metals in Collier's Wood High Street. But
beware - it's close to St George's hospital and parking can be difficult
or expensive. They're not cheap, either.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

raden

In message , NealUK writes
Charles Fearnley wrote:
"NealUK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where i can purchase a 10mm steel rod about a
metre in length (not threaded)?

Look in Yellow Pages for steel stokholders. That is probably a bit
long to find in their offcuts bin, so you may need to pay a cutting
charge, although it may be as cheap to buy a full length, if you can
get it home.

Colin Bignell

Where are you? SW london has a good metal dealer which will have this
- I can add more details if this ia any good

Charles F

NW London, but if you can gfive me the details as i may go South at some
point
cheers
Neal

As I said, try Cromwell Tools - free delivery and probably as cheap as
you'll find anywhere else
--
geoff
Matthew Newton

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:50:12 +0100, NealUK wrote:

Obviously the rope/rafter thing is not ideal, so i am looking at
supporting it through the hollow swing arm bolt, hence the need for 10mm
steel rod.

If anyone has any ideas, i would love to hear them.

I use two jack stands, one under each foot peg (probably not the best
place, but they seem OK). You put the first one on the side opposite the
side stand and push the bike back on to it, and then put the other one
there. Then you rock the bike a little each way lifting each side up one
notch at a time. Helpful to have someone steady the bike if you want to
lift it up a long way.

I can get my rear wheel about 1.5" off the ground. Have to put weights on
the back to get the front up.

For example, see:

http://photos.newtoncomputing.co.uk/.../pict2796.html

....although there they are only holding the bike upright.

--
Matthew

NealUK

Matthew Newton wrote:
[...]

Like the idea, but the footrests on this bike fold up.Where did you get
those stands from? They look pretty useful. Mine just have about 3 holes
and a pin that goes through them.
I might see if i can find some fixed footrests in a breakers that have the
same mounting brackets/bolts as the NC23, just for doing repairs like this
Cheers
Neal

Matthew Newton

Hi

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:24:14 +0100, NealUK wrote:
Like the idea, but the footrests on this bike fold up.Where did you get
those stands from? They look pretty useful. Mine just have about 3 holes
and a pin that goes through them.

Those came from Screwfix, £9.79 per pair:

I might see if i can find some fixed footrests in a breakers that have the
same mounting brackets/bolts as the NC23, just for doing repairs like this

Have also done the same thing putting a length of steel bar through the
rear tyre (under the frame) and propping up with the stands (or was it
bricks, I can't remember). Works OK but you can't remove the rear wheel,
which is a pain (and a paddock stand wouldn't fit on my GS :-( ).

Oh, whoops, you were after a length of steel rod...

Other option (which I do to keep the bike upright, but not to lift the
wheels, although it probably could) is to put the side stand on a brick or
two and pull the bike up on to that. You then only need to put the axle
stand on the other side. Maybe it would fit under the frame somewhere that
way (or use bricks, with old towel to stop scratching the paint)?

HTH,

--
Matthew