Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Edinburgh flat with workshop

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 08:16:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

Hmm. Danube St., I see. I wonder if Dora Noyce was a previous
occupant? Maybe those fittings had something to do with her line of
business? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

Tell me about it.

I actually rewired the top floor of that place 10 years ago

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 16:40, ARW wrote:
On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop,

Air line?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop,

Home made Swedish penis enlarger?

Where are the stairs? Is there a pic I can't see?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 17:27:23 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Where are the stairs? Is there a pic I can't see?

Look at the floor plan.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 16:40:51 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

I actually rewired the top floor of that place 10 years ago

That is the top floor.

Does the clock point in one of the bedrooms trigger any flashbacks?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

Owain

that is one weird looking flat .......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 08:16:42 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and
are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the
left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

They managed an Aga...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager Wrote in message:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 08:16:42 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and
are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the
left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

They managed an Aga...

They come apart don't they?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 17:58, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and
are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to
the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

Owain

that is one weird looking flat .......

Definately lived in by a very frugal Scot, going by the
decor. Even the paisley carpets look a bit 'odd'.

Period drama or film companies would pay big bucks to
hire a place like that though.

What exactly does 'Offers over £620,000' really mean with
the Scottish system ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and
are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to
the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

Owain

that is one weird looking flat .......

Definately lived in by a very frugal Scot, going by the
decor. Even the paisley carpets look a bit 'odd'.

Period drama or film companies would pay big bucks to
hire a place like that though.

nah it is fake....

What exactly does 'Offers over £620,000' really mean with
the Scottish system ?.

think they made it weird on purpose......offers over is offers
over......not like the stupid English system at all....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop,
and are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors
to the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

Owain

that is one weird looking flat .......

Definately lived in by a very frugal Scot, going by the
decor. Even the paisley carpets look a bit 'odd'.

Period drama or film companies would pay big bucks to
hire a place like that though.

nah it is fake....

What exactly does 'Offers over £620,000' really mean with
the Scottish system ?.

think they made it weird on purpose......offers over is offers
over......not like the stupid English system at all....

What if no-one makes an offer though ?. Does the price just
come down and down until someone makes an offer. That's just
a dutch auction, surely ?.

Also if someone offers £620,001 and is a cash buyer, but
someone else offers £625,000 but needs to faff about getting
a mortgage, can the seller decide which offer to take ?.

I thought the english system was effectively the same. You ask
a figure that only a clot would offer, and in the event of a
clot not materialising, you accept what ever offer you get,
or take it off the market having wasted a lot of everyones time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 08:16:42 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and
are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the
left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

They managed an Aga...

They do come in bits - not completely assembled. I removed one from our
last house. I discovered it hadn't been assembled properly, probably why it
never worked well.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop

60/-, 70/-, 80/- and 90/- ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
The floor plan and the views taken of the park from inside the
building do not correspond to the photo of the outside !!.
The floor plan show windows facing North (over the park) and
to the east, only.

It looks fine to me:
https://goo.gl/maps/qimV1tpDDbPqNmaK9

4 windows N side, 4 windows E side.
Sashes without glazing bars, no bays.
Sitting room, dressing room 2, bedroom 2 overlook the park.

SR, DR 1, bedroom 1 overlook Danube St.

Photo from the living room shows park on the left (N side), house across
Danube St to the right (E side). Photos 13 and 14 show views in more
detail.

2 windows at the back (kitchen, bedroom 3) overlook the garden

Photo 1 is a classic estate agent LIE. It is the building on
the other corner of the road, which obviously has the benefit
of more direct sun, though photshop allows you to fake and
embelish any photo. Street view of the actual building shows
it to be lot scungier.

I think punters would notice if the EA took them to a different building
from the one in the photos.

I can't help but think the layout is odd though. I wonder which walls could
be moved around...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 19:03, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 08:16:42 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and
are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the
left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

They managed an Aga...

They come in pack flat pieces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 19:58:01 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Photo 1 is a classic estate agent LIE. It is the building on
the other corner of the road, which obviously has the benefit
of more direct sun, though photshop allows you to fake and
embelish any photo. Street view of the actual building shows
it to be lot scungier.

I've checked the Streeview and the photo and it's right. The blue door is 38 Danube Street and the white door to the right is St Bernard's Crescent.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 19:40:33 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
What exactly does 'Offers over £620,000' really mean with
the Scottish system ?.

In Edinburgh, about £680-720k normally.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 20:18:46 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Also if someone offers £620,001 and is a cash buyer, but
someone else offers £625,000 but needs to faff about getting
a mortgage, can the seller decide which offer to take ?.

Yes, the seller is not bound to accept the highest, or any, offer.

When I worked in an estate agent's office, we had the situation that we really, really, wanted the lower offer to win (as we were handling the buyer's mortgage, which would bring us thousands more in commission than we got through the property sale).

Remember though that in the Scottish system the offer is binding on the buyer immediately it is accepted without qualification by the seller, so the buyer had better have his mortgage already sorted out. When I bought, it was just over three weeks to do the conveyance from offer to moving in.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 21:23:33 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop

60/-, 70/-, 80/- and 90/- ?

:-)

Although I don't think anyone in the New Town would drink less than eighty bob.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 21:33:57 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
I can't help but think the layout is odd though. I wonder which walls could
be moved around...

Not many; it's Category A Listed.

The division between the bedroom and the dressing room appears to be furniture and could be moved.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a ******* getting anything up the stairs though.

Owain

The workshop is behind the kitchen so the gauge and taps likely relate
to the boiler.

The small bank could be connectors for audio distribution.
Not sure what else they could be, maybe fuses but no switch in sight.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul_news wrote:
The workshop is behind the kitchen so the gauge and taps likely relate
to the boiler.

Gas supply to Bunsen burners?

Although there appears to be a drip jar underneath one of the taps.

The small bank could be connectors for audio distribution.
Not sure what else they could be, maybe fuses but no switch in sight.

For a workshop there seems to be quite a lack of mains sockets. Some kind
of compact mains outlets?
Slightly clearer photo he
https://lc.zoocdn.com/6fb42a6f133a72...ef2f788ae4.jpg
Right side a bank of outlets, left side a bank of switches?
Look a bit like US power outlets, but with a central flat pin, slightly
offset.

I don't see any sockets in the other photos that would be audio outlets.

The boiler appears to have 8 toggle switches, 5 indicator lamps and 2 dials.
https://lc.zoocdn.com/f1d31b5c28032b...3469a76875.jpg
Controls to radiator valves perhaps?

There's a virtual tour you can see without signing up:
https://youtu.be/t5cPQm0kc64
and for a change it's not just a slideshow.
But it doesn't show the workshop. It appears the most 'tech' in the place
is a built in radio in the living room.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
[...]

No it is offers over but you can state a fixed price... there is a
closing date made for offers then the best one is chosen not necessarily
the highest one depending on the conditions in the offers.....no
gazumping it is a written legal offer and acceptance....nobody was
making an offer on this house and I went in with a low offer direct to
the seller who I knew and told the guy to cancel his estate agency and I
made a legal offer to his lawyers......Scottish law is much better than
english......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 16:16, wrote:
[...]

but then again the english got rid of home report and we didn't
......better a bunch of overpaid surveyors than some wummin making up a
home report about things she is incompetent to decide....and knows less
about
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 21:23, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop

60/-, 70/-, 80/- and 90/- ?

scottish ale ?

Shilling categories

The shilling categories were based on the invoice price per hogshead (54
imperial gallons (250 L)) during the late 19th century. The stronger or
better quality beers paid more beer duty and therefore cost more. Light
beers might be in the range 42/- to 48/- (42-48 shilling), Younger's
brewery produced heavy beers ranging from 80/- to 160/-.[15] The same
shilling designation was used for beer of different types. Usher's, for
example, in 1914 brewed both a 60/- (60 shilling) Mild and a 60/- Pale
Ale.[16] In 1909 Maclay brewed a 54/- Pale Ale and a 54/- Stout.[17] In
1954 Steel Coulson were still producing both a 60/- Edinburgh Ale and a
60/- Brown Ale on draught, both with a gravity of 1030; the third
draught beer was 70/- P.X.A. at 1034.[18] By the 1950s customers would
ask for a strength of beer by names such as "heavy" and "export", rather
than shillings, these two terms are still widely used in Scotland. Even
though the practice of classifying beers by the shilling price was not
specific to Scotland, during the cask ale revival in the 1970s Scottish
brewers resurrected the shilling names to differentiate between keg and
cask versions of the same beers. This differentiation has now been lost.
An Edinburgh 90 shilling label

While the shilling names were never pinned down to exact strength
ranges, and Scottish brewers today produce beers under the shilling
names in a variety of strength
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 16:36:42 +0100, Custos Custodum
wrote:

Hmm. Danube St., I see. I wonder if Dora Noyce was a previous
occupant? Maybe those fittings had something to do with her line of
business? :-)

The infamous brothel was at 17. Oddly enough, it's on the market at
the moment too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well a novel idea, certainly.
However you do find some funny things in buildings. A friend went to view
a house once and noticed in the sitting room which had a concrete floor, not
boards, some lumps.
Apparently a previous occupant had installed a lathe in the sitting room,
but it was not of course the living room then, and just cut the mounting
bolts off and over the years it was never actually made properly level.
Very odd.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Wrote in message:
https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200082

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop,

Home made Swedish penis enlarger?

Where are the stairs? Is there a pic I can't see?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 19:40:30 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

Definately lived in by a very frugal Scot, going by the
decor. Even the paisley carpets look a bit 'odd'.

Period drama or film companies would pay big bucks to
hire a place like that though.

What exactly does 'Offers over £620,000' really mean with
the Scottish system ?.

I don't think there's been much done to that flat decor wise, and
probably electrics and plumbing, since the 70s. There's a fireplace
that dates from the 40s or 50s.

"Offers over" means "We really don't want less than this, but if we
don't get any offers, we'll (have to) reduce the price." As others
have said here, I'd normally expect it to go for much more than
£620,000, but with Covid19 around, who knows?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 09:12, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well a novel idea, certainly.
However you do find some funny things in buildings. A friend went to view
a house once and noticed in the sitting room which had a concrete floor, not
boards, some lumps.
Apparently a previous occupant had installed a lathe in the sitting room,
but it was not of course the living room then, and just cut the mounting
bolts off and over the years it was never actually made properly level.
Very odd.

Brian

seen some things.....remember the one way mirror between the kitchen and
the bedroom for videoing his conquests ....the flat done up as a bat
cave .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 09:04:57 UTC+1, John J Armstrong wrote:
The infamous brothel was at 17. Oddly enough, it's on the market at
the moment too.

With the same agent.

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200105

"Property still retains a number of original features"

No mention of a lockable cupboard with an egg-whisk.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 09:54, wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 09:04:57 UTC+1, John J Armstrong wrote:
The infamous brothel was at 17. Oddly enough, it's on the market at
the moment too.

With the same agent.

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200105

"Property still retains a number of original features"

No mention of a lockable cupboard with an egg-whisk.

Owain

Private access available
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 09:54, wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 09:04:57 UTC+1, John J Armstrong wrote:
The infamous brothel was at 17. Oddly enough, it's on the market at
the moment too.

With the same agent.

https://search.savills.com/property-...bedscedt200105

"Property still retains a number of original features"

No mention of a lockable cupboard with an egg-whisk.

Owain

The ground floor also benefits from a bedroom which offers flexible
accommodation for guests,

[OT] Gas person in Edinburgh Rod Hewitt UK diy 0 February 15th 05 10:14 PM
Lang's of Edinburgh rewson Woodturning 1 September 1st 04 12:06 AM
Edinburgh all trades neil leslie UK diy 0 April 13th 04 06:15 PM
Edinburgh builder recommendations tantara62 UK diy 0 April 11th 04 12:32 PM
RECOMMENDATION: decorator/tiler in Edinburgh Reestit Mutton UK diy 1 October 28th 03 01:34 AM