Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Simple fixed windows for van?

I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type
with standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses (rear
facing) need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed units
are comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or two simple
boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at the top of
the door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to watch out for?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 20:59:17 +0100, newshound
wrote:

I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type
with standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses (rear
facing) need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed units
are comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or two simple
boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at the top of
the door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to watch out for?

When we bought the kitcar it was in the form of a van so we had to cut
out the panels and fit the glass ourselves.

From memory we just cut inside the frame the depth of the rubber seal
plus a bit and then used the hole to create the templates (the size of
the hole minus the thickness of the web (all round)) then gave the
templates to a local glass Co to make us two laminated windows.

I think we warmed the rubbers and bead (one side at a time etc) in a
bucket of hot water then wrapped the rubber round the glass (with the
joint at the top), pushed the rubber and glass in at the bottom first
and then used the string / hooked tools to work the rubber round onto
the frame from the inside with someone pushing the lot in from the
outside (or did we fir the rubber into the body first then the glass
into the rubber?). Then we pushed the bead into place and that was one
side done (phew). ;-)

The other side then took half the time of the first. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

newshound laid this down on his screen :
The "proper" Renault glazed units are comparatively expensive but I reckon
all I need is one or two simple boat/caravan types fitted within the "single
skin" part at the top of the door/s.

Caravan and probably boat types are basically designed to have a
thicker panel to fit to. You would probably need to add a 25mm piece of
ply around the holes.

A better bet would be a car/van scrap yard and look for a van which has
had panel windows added, which can be reclaimed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Make sure structural pressures cannot bounce the windows out of their
surrounds. Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see
where its been!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type with
standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses (rear facing)
need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed units are
comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or two simple
boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at the top of the
door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to watch out for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 01/07/2020 20:59, newshound wrote:
I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type
with standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses (rear
facing) need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed units
are comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or two simple
boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at the top of
the door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to watch out for?

Don't see many horse boxes / transporters that allow the horses a view.
There may be a very good reason for this. Like they are totally mental,
afraid of everything that moves and easily spooked. Many can't be got
into boxes without a bag over their heads.

Have you asked other horse box owners how horses get on when they can
see where they have been? And what happens when they see you getting
tailgated by a moving or rapidly approaching car?

It's one thing having to make allowances for riders on horses but
totally another thing if we have to start giving extra wide berth to
horses in transit that have windows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see where
its been!

What makes the horse need to see where it is going ?

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type with
standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses (rear facing)
need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed units are
comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or two simple
boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at the top of the
door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to watch out for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 02/07/2020 09:04, Peter Hill wrote:
On 01/07/2020 20:59, newshound wrote:
I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type
with standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses
(rear facing) need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed
units are comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or
two simple boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at
the top of the door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to
watch out for?

Don't see many horse boxes / transporters that allow the horses a view.
There may be a very good reason for this. Like they are totally mental,
afraid of everything that moves and easily spooked. Many can't be got
into boxes without a bag over their heads.

Not true, actually. You see them both in coachbuilt horseboxes and in
trailers. The windows are typically not very deep so you might not see
the horse's head from the ground, but the horse gets enough of a view to
give them a frame of reference for the outside world.

Have you asked other horse box owners how horses get on when they can
see where they have been? And what happens when they see you getting
tailgated by a moving or rapidly approaching car?

It's one thing having to make allowances for riders on horses but
totally another thing if we have to start giving extra wide berth to
horses in transit that have windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 09:04:18 +0100, Peter Hill
wrote:

snip

Don't see many horse boxes / transporters that allow the horses a view.
There may be a very good reason for this. Like they are totally mental,
afraid of everything that moves and easily spooked.

We thought that could be the case when approaching 3 horses in a field
the other day with the dog. The dog (a terrier) barks at anything he
doesn't know (is safe) or looks like it's going to come near / attack
us.

So, we stood outside the horse field and they came over because 1)
they are inquisitive and 2) I dare say people give them treats there.

Once they had determined we (the humans) were friendly (I was
scratching their manes) two of them put their heads over the lowish
fence and so their noses were about 2' away from this barking dog and
no matter how loud he barked they didn't (literally) bat an eyelid.
;-)

(Dog then decided to take a few steps back as the horses weren't going
to). ;-)

You are right though in that some horses or in fact, many animals,
especially 'prey animals' (inc horses etc) can be spooked easily. The
stray lurcher we are currently caring for has issues with trains going
past for example. The terrier cgaf about them and the Cavashon we
inherited when Stepdaughter died was actually a train spotter, running
to near the track / bridge / crossing when she could hear one on it's
way and wouldn't leave if she could hear another (assuming she didn't
actually know the timetable), even if we called her on. ;-)

Two of daughters three rescue rabbits didn't like being picked up
because (apparently) the experience is like being snatched by a bird.
The third had overcome the fear and it knew being picked up usually
meant a treat or being stroked.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 02/07/2020 08:41, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Make sure structural pressures cannot bounce the windows out of their
surrounds.

Good point, although I think most of the structural strength in modern
van doors comes from the internal frame which is a deep pressed channel
structure.

Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see
where its been!

I think it is more to provide them with a frame of reference that stays
aligned with gravity while a vehicle bounces around.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see where
its been!

What makes the horse need to see where it is going ?

From a window in a rear door?

I really feel the quality of your trolling has dropped in the last
few months...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 18:40:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

JimK addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"I really feel the quality of your trolling has dropped in the last few
months..."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 09:51:06 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 02/07/2020 00:30, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 20:59:20 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type
with standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses (rear
facing) need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed units
are comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or two simple
boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at the top of
the door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to watch out for?

scrapyard

NT

That's what my mechanic said, but ones with windows are very thin on the
ground.

I've not looked for a pair so who knows, but on the face of it that does sound unlikely. It doesn't need to be the same make/model, if you know the relevant dimensions.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Jimk" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see where
its been!

What makes the horse need to see where it is going ?

From a window in a rear door?

Nope from the window at the front that some have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 05:57:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jimk" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see where
its been!

What makes the horse need to see where it is going ?

From a window in a rear door?

Nope from the window at the front that some have.

Of a van?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 08:30:19 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

newshound laid this down on his screen :
The "proper" Renault glazed units are comparatively expensive but I reckon
all I need is one or two simple boat/caravan types fitted within the "single
skin" part at the top of the door/s.

Caravan and probably boat types are basically designed to have a
thicker panel to fit to. You would probably need to add a 25mm piece of
ply around the holes.

You can get seals that go down pretty thin:

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shoppi...artmentId=4#27

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Jimk" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jimk" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see
where
its been!

What makes the horse need to see where it is going ?

From a window in a rear door?

Nope from the window at the front that some have.

Of a van?

Irrelevant to the general question of what horses need to see when being
moved in horseboxes etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 08:05:48 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling 86-year-old senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jimk" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jimk" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see
where
its been!

What makes the horse need to see where it is going ?

From a window in a rear door?

Nope from the window at the front that some have.

Of a van?

Irrelevant to the general question of what horses need to see when being
moved in horseboxes etc.

But entirely relevant to *your* spouting of

"What makes the horse need to see where it is going ?"

Very poor trolling again woddles, do you have a temperature & a
continuous cough?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

newshound wrote on 02/07/2020 :
Not true, actually. You see them both in coachbuilt horseboxes and in
trailers. The windows are typically not very deep so you might not see the
horse's head from the ground, but the horse gets enough of a view to give
them a frame of reference for the outside world.

Do horses become travel sick?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jimk wrote just the **** that
always spews from the back of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 19:35:57 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jimk wrote

Oh the irony!

I'm pretty sure you are the *biggest* coward on here cowering behind
several pseudonyms!

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
T i m spewed just the
**** that always spews from the back of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 19:35:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 19:52:47 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 19:49:35 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 03/07/2020 10:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound wrote on 02/07/2020 :
Not true, actually. You see them both in coachbuilt horseboxes and in
trailers. The windows are typically not very deep so you might not see
the horse's head from the ground, but the horse gets enough of a view
to give them a frame of reference for the outside world.

Do horses become travel sick?

Horses cannot vomit, or so I always believed. This is why certain
conditions are much more dangerous to them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 19:52:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
T i m spewed just the
**** that always spews from the back of it.

Aww, cowardly Rod, hiding behind several pseudonyms accusing me, using
my real name and a valid email address of hiding like the coward he
is!

Oh the irony!

Rod (or whatever it's name is), hiding in his tin hut, tapping away
(while the battery lasts) nearly 10,000 miles from the UK,
contributing nothing and killfiled by most.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jimk wrote just the **** that
always spews from the back of it.

Thought as much. Get tested woddles, not covid - start with
personality....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 03/07/2020 11:57, Andrew wrote:
On 03/07/2020 10:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound wrote on 02/07/2020 :
Not true, actually. You see them both in coachbuilt horseboxes and in
trailers. The windows are typically not very deep so you might not
see the horse's head from the ground, but the horse gets enough of a
view to give them a frame of reference for the outside world.

Do horses become travel sick?

Horses cannot vomit, or so I always believed. This is why certain
conditions are much more dangerous to them.

Correct, it's all about the geometry. Colic can be a very serious
condition, quite often fatal or requiring major surgery (starting cost
£3k). I was lucky to get away with a night in horse hospital and a bill
£1k last time. (I think they were being nice to me because it was
triggered by what turned out to be an inappropriate wormer).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 20:59:20 UTC+1, newshoundÂ* wrote:

[...]

They seem to go at about £150 each. Although the Master was sold under
several names, there are also several versions. Mine is 2004 and there
are *really* not many around. Windowless doors were far more popular
owing to theft of contents.

Have you thought of a rear-facing camera and giving hoss an lcd screen
to watch ? Might even be quicker and cheaper than bodgery on the
van doors.

You could even play repeats of the Horse-of-the-year show at Olympia :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 July 2020 13:41:21 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 02/07/2020 20:02, tabbypurrm wrote:
[...]

So why not go to your glazier, buy some laminated glass & rubber strip?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
T i m spewed just the
**** that always spews from the back of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jimk spewed just the ****
that always spews from the back of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 13:43:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****