Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Simple fixed windows for van?

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 20:59:17 +0100, newshound
wrote:

I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type
with standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses (rear
facing) need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed units
are comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or two simple
boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at the top of
the door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to watch out for?

When we bought the kitcar it was in the form of a van so we had to cut
out the panels and fit the glass ourselves.

From memory we just cut inside the frame the depth of the rubber seal
plus a bit and then used the hole to create the templates (the size of
the hole minus the thickness of the web (all round)) then gave the
templates to a local glass Co to make us two laminated windows.

I think we warmed the rubbers and bead (one side at a time etc) in a
bucket of hot water then wrapped the rubber round the glass (with the
joint at the top), pushed the rubber and glass in at the bottom first
and then used the string / hooked tools to work the rubber round onto
the frame from the inside with someone pushing the lot in from the
outside (or did we fir the rubber into the body first then the glass
into the rubber?). Then we pushed the bead into place and that was one
side done (phew). ;-)

The other side then took half the time of the first. ;-)

Cheers, T i m