Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint removal

I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

1. B&Q suggest white spirit but I cannot see this working after the
paint has dried.

2. Steel brush attached to power drill?

3. Nitromors?

4. My favourite - flame thrower (as used for clearing weeds)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 17:51, Scott wrote:
I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

1. B&Q suggest white spirit but I cannot see this working after the
paint has dried.

2. Steel brush attached to power drill?

3. Nitromors?

4. My favourite - flame thrower (as used for clearing weeds)?

Paint the rest of the concrete red. Or overpaint it with a more
acceptable colour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 17:51, Scott wrote:
I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

1. B&Q suggest white spirit but I cannot see this working after the
paint has dried.

2. Steel brush attached to power drill?

3. Nitromors?

4. My favourite - flame thrower (as used for clearing weeds)?

Is red oxide lead these days? If so, burning it might be a really bad idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 17:51:19 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

1. B&Q suggest white spirit but I cannot see this working after the
paint has dried.

2. Steel brush attached to power drill?

3. Nitromors?

4. My favourite - flame thrower (as used for clearing weeds)?

Is this a nice smooth concrete - maybe even polished to a glass-like finish? Or rough like many drives and roads - purposely made to stop them being too slippery?

If it is rough, you don't stand a chance of removing the paint. And any attempt might end up worse than it currently is. I agree with those who suggest painting over it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 17:51, Scott wrote:
I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

1. B&Q suggest white spirit but I cannot see this working after the
paint has dried.

2. Steel brush attached to power drill?

3. Nitromors?

4. My favourite - flame thrower (as used for clearing weeds)?

Pressure washers are very good at getting things off surfaces, I haven't
had to try it on paint but it would be the first thing I'd try - once
the paint had fully dried. Anything chemical is likely to make a smudgy
mess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott Wrote in message:
I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

1. B&Q suggest white spirit but I cannot see this working after the
paint has dried.

2. Steel brush attached to power drill?

3. Nitromors?

4. My favourite - flame thrower (as used for clearing weeds)?

Burn it off. Nobody puts lead in retail paint anymore.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 22:12, Jimk wrote:
Scott Wrote in message:
I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

1. B&Q suggest white spirit but I cannot see this working after the
paint has dried.

2. Steel brush attached to power drill?

3. Nitromors?

4. My favourite - flame thrower (as used for clearing weeds)?

Burn it off. Nobody puts lead in retail paint anymore.

If it is solvent-based then some of the paint will have been
taken into the concrete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 17:51:16 +0100, Scott wrote:

I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

If hasn't dried I'd collect up as much as possible, with something
spoon like, remove more with old newspaper, then work a goodly amount
of neat washing up liquid into the remains and leave. Letting the
rain wash it away over time. Works well for engine oil spots on
concrete.

If that failed after a week or three, pressure washer time.

A gas weed burner might do it for a small area couple of square feet
tops, the flame isn't very big. For larger area a gas torch on felt
type burner or a Sheen x300 paraffin woukd be more suitable. Can't
decide if the heat will damage the concrete surface more than a
pressure washer at point blank range.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimk" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
[...]

I was thinking drop some diesel on it & light it....

Diesel is very hard to light. Metho is better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 17:18:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 08:14:20 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

[...]

I thought diesel was quite difficult to ignite. My Aussie cousin came
up with a less dramatic suggestion - just to turn the paving stone
upside down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You said 'some sort of concrete' originally though. Inverting affected
paving slabs would only work if they were laid on soil without any
mortar (or used a weak-mix mortar that can be removed), and also if
the underside has the same texture/pattern as the top, which not all do
and UV light will have affected all the others but not the underside
of the paint-stained one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I was not sure what it was at the time of writing. I thought the
underside might be different too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 08:14:20 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

A gas weed burner might do it for a small area couple of square

feet
tops, the flame isn't very big. For larger area a gas torch on

felt
type burner or a Sheen x300 paraffin woukd be more suitable. Can't
decide if the heat will damage the concrete surface more than a
pressure washer at point blank range.

I was thinking drop some diesel on it & light it....

You'd still need the weed burner to get the diesel going...

If there is something to act as a wick, parrafin would burn but not
hot enough over an area to do much to the paint.

Petrol, don't go there.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 08:14:20 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

A gas weed burner might do it for a small area couple of square

feet
tops, the flame isn't very big. For larger area a gas torch on

felt
type burner or a Sheen x300 paraffin woukd be more suitable. Can't
decide if the heat will damage the concrete surface more than a
pressure washer at point blank range.

I was thinking drop some diesel on it & light it....

You'd still need the weed burner to get the diesel going...

If there is something to act as a wick, parrafin would burn but not
hot enough over an area to do much to the paint.

Petrol, don't go there.

Mmm.

Napalm?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Could you reposition it somewhere out of view, nearer to the edge of
the patio or whatever ?, and substitute it for an undamaged one ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 14:00, Jimk wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 08:14:20 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

A gas weed burner might do it for a small area couple of square

feet
tops, the flame isn't very big. For larger area a gas torch on

felt
type burner or a Sheen x300 paraffin woukd be more suitable. Can't
decide if the heat will damage the concrete surface more than a
pressure washer at point blank range.

I was thinking drop some diesel on it & light it....

You'd still need the weed burner to get the diesel going...

If there is something to act as a wick, parrafin would burn but not
hot enough over an area to do much to the paint.

Petrol, don't go there.

Mmm.

Napalm?

Burning the resin (which will be difficult) is just going to leave the
red iron oxide pigment stuck in the roughness, but now bonded with tarry
material. A bit like chip pan residue.

Pressure washer and time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That's an idea, or just get a new one if it's a standard size. It's
in the back garden, so there are various options., including
potentially removing it and planting a shrub as it's peripheral.