Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Paint removal

On 27/06/2020 12:42, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 12:16:59 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 27/06/2020 10:10, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 08:14:20 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 17:51:16 +0100, Scott wrote:

I dropped a tin of paint this afternoon. Fortunately this occurred
outside. The paint is oil-based primer (red oxide). The surface is
some sort of concrete. How am I supposed to remove this?

If hasn't dried I'd collect up as much as possible, with something
spoon like, remove more with old newspaper, then work a goodly amount
of neat washing up liquid into the remains and leave. Letting the
rain wash it away over time. Works well for engine oil spots on
concrete.

If that failed after a week or three, pressure washer time.

A gas weed burner might do it for a small area couple of square feet
tops, the flame isn't very big. For larger area a gas torch on felt
type burner or a Sheen x300 paraffin woukd be more suitable. Can't
decide if the heat will damage the concrete surface more than a
pressure washer at point blank range.

I was thinking drop some diesel on it & light it....

I thought diesel was quite difficult to ignite. My Aussie cousin came
up with a less dramatic suggestion - just to turn the paving stone
upside down.

You said 'some sort of concrete' originally though. Inverting affected
paving slabs would only work if they were laid on soil without any
mortar (or used a weak-mix mortar that can be removed), and also if
the underside has the same texture/pattern as the top, which not all do
and UV light will have affected all the others but not the underside
of the paint-stained one.

Yes, I was not sure what it was at the time of writing. I thought the
underside might be different too.

Could you reposition it somewhere out of view, nearer to the edge of
the patio or whatever ?, and substitute it for an undamaged one ?.