Old May 24th 20, 12:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cement mixer rotates too fast

just bought a second hand belle 130 cement mixer. to find out it rotates so
quick it is dangerous and pretty useless. if i changed the capacitor would it
resolve the issue.
should i change the complete motor.
feel stupid and lost money .....any advise appreciated

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1432858-.htm

Old May 24th 20, 02:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 00:14, david wrote:

just bought a second hand belle 130 cement mixer. to find out it rotates so
quick it is dangerous and pretty useless. if i changed the capacitor
would it
resolve the issue.

No, the cap has no effect on the motor speed.

What speed is it rotating at (should be about 15 rpm or 4 secs for a
single complete rotation)?

should i change the complete motor.

Is it the original motor?

You might be able to change the size of one of the pulleys to get a
different gearing.

You can see what size it is originally supplied with:

http://www.free-instruction-manuals..../pa_349612.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Old May 24th 20, 09:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 May 2020 00:14:03 UTC+1, david wrote:
just bought a second hand belle 130 cement mixer. to find out it rotates so
quick it is dangerous and pretty useless. if i changed the capacitor would it
resolve the issue.
should i change the complete motor.
feel stupid and lost money .....any advise appreciated

show us the mechanism & motor so we can see what's wrong.
Old May 24th 20, 09:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have asked exactly where it was made and what for exactly.
Is it an induction motor or a brushed on. There may well be some wiring
that is configured for the motor which is wrong. Seems a little odd to me if
its as new.

More likely a new, and incorrect motor pulley or something like that, I'd
have thought.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"david" m wrote in
message updirect.com...

Old May 24th 20, 11:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 00:14, david wrote:
just bought a second hand belle 130 cement mixer. to find out it rotates so
quick it is dangerous and pretty useless. if i changed the capacitor
would it
resolve the issue.
should i change the complete motor.
feel stupid and lost money .....any advise appreciated

the makers spec* is 26.5 rpm so count how many revolutions yours does in
a minute and compare

*http://www.altrad-belle.com/index.php?p=products&id=31

--
Robin
Old May 24th 20, 11:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 00:14, david wrote:
just bought a second hand belle 130 cement mixer. to find out it rotates so
quick it is dangerous and pretty useless. if i changed the capacitor
would it
resolve the issue.
should i change the complete motor.
feel stupid and lost money .....any advise appreciated

Three thoughts:
1. Change the motor pulley for a smaller one or the drum pulley for a
larger one.
2. Check the motor speed on the rating plate, it should probably be
1425'ish RPM but perhaps someone has replaced the motor with a 2800'ish
RPM motor.
3. Sell it and buy another
Old May 24th 20, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 02:19, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/05/2020 00:14, david wrote:

just bought a second hand belle 130 cement mixer. to find out it
rotates so
quick it is dangerous and pretty useless. if i changed the capacitor
would it
resolve the issue.

No, the cap has no effect on the motor speed.

What speed is it rotating at (should be about 15 rpm or 4 secs for a
single complete rotation)?

should i change the complete motor.

Is it the original motor?

Is it 110V being used on 230V mains ? :-)

Old May 24th 20, 01:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 11:02, Robin wrote:
On 24/05/2020 00:14, david wrote:
just bought a second hand belle 130 cement mixer. to find out it
rotates so
quick it is dangerous and pretty useless. if i changed the capacitor
would it
resolve the issue.
should i change the complete motor.
feel stupid and lost money .....any advise appreciated

the makers spec* is 26.5 rpm so count how many revolutions yours does in
a minute and compare

*http://www.altrad-belle.com/index.php?p=products&id=31

To be fair - if that is right it does seem a bit fast compared to most.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old May 24th 20, 08:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 May 2020 00:14:03 UTC+1, david wrote:
just bought a second hand belle 130 cement mixer. to find out it rotates so
quick it is dangerous and pretty useless. if i changed the capacitor would it
resolve the issue.
should i change the complete motor.
feel stupid and lost money .....any advise appreciated

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1432858-.htm

There's only one possibility. Someone has fitted the wrong motor.
It's an induction motor, the smaller ones commonly run at either 1480 rpm or 2800rpm. (ish, ie a bit less than synchronous).
They come in standard sizes/frames/shaft diameters

BTW make sure the gearbox has oil, they don't last two minutes without.
If there's a lot of play in the gearbox, (twiddle the drum) may not be worth repairing.