Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing fence post

a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete. Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Fri, 15 May 2020 12:02:30 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete. Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground
level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

Something like this in the right size:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Repa...ce-Posts---75-
x-75mm/p/542505

or this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/easy-fenc...k-in-concrete-
in-and-screw-down-types-inc-vat/171819825708?
hash=item2801427a2c:m:mq8S4AUyoM0-qDUGKHAZtBw&var=470755741593

Not tried them though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 12:02, JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete.Â*Â* Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

Unless you have pre-fab'd fence panels you could divide the run into
three rather than two so the new posts are in a different place. If
that's not possible then hire a small breaker and attack the concrete.
Prevent the need for future repairs by setting a 4' concrete spur in the
hole and bolting the old post to the spur.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 May 2020 12:02:33 UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete. Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

If the post is well and truly rotten below ground, you could remove that rotten wood. Then you should have a fence-post shaped hole. OK, might not fit perfectly but a little bit of fettling might be enough. If needed use stones, sand, wedges to stabilise the post and make it vertical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete. Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

That's the problem, setting in concrete does exactly that, the post
gets wet around the area where it enters the concrete, stays wet, and
rots.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

Ah, my standard method is to put a couple of big coach screws into the
'good' left over part of the post that's still in the ground and pull
it out with the three-point hitch on my (little) tractor. You don't
have a neighbour with a small tractor do you?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 12:36, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

For 60cm? That's going to be bloody hard work. The usual fix in this
case is, after snapping off the post at ground level, to bang in a
metpost into the original hole. The rot will be localised relatively
close to the surface, you may be surprised how hard it is to get the
metpost in to full depth. If it is still not secure, excavate as much
wood from the hole as you can, fill it up with postcrete or concrete,
and then put the metpost back and let it set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

last time I fitted a fence post I did exactly that, had to shape the end
of the post, and of course the post still rots in time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 12:02, JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete.Â*Â* Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

time and a pickaxe and a deep spade

its probably too deep for a concrete saw.

Expect it to take all day, get in plenty of beer and just keep at it.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 12:40, Chris Green wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Or a prop on one side of the hole, a beam over to attach to your pull
rope/whatever, and a car jack on the other. So you can jack the beam up
and pull out whatever its attached to.

(or more likely pull out the fixing in the remaining bit of post!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 12:02, JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete.Â*Â* Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I
will be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

time and a pickaxe and a deep spade

its probably too deep for a concrete saw.

Expect it to take all day, get in plenty of beer and just keep at it.

:-)

That's the original plan - I came here in the hope of an easier route
(don't think I got one unfortunately). No worries, I'll dig it out -
cheaper than going to the (closed anyway) gym...

There are around 30 such posts that I put in altogether. All are fine
except for this one. Problem was that I put up the fence right after we
had had a very large extension added to the house. Since the kids
started to learn to wonder a quick solution was needed, and I didn't
want to wait until the builders would level the ground properly as it
would have been a few more weeks. I tried my best to work out the
required heights for the posts, and succeeded in 29/30 cases, but the
coccrete for this posts ended up around 5-6cm below ground level, which
I suspect is the reason it rotted.

Thanks all for your input!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 12:02, JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete.Â*Â* Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

They invariably rot at or near ground level - usually slightly below
where it is almost continuously damp and well provided with oxygen.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

How good are you with a pick axe and sledgehammer?
You will almost certainly have to smash it to bits to get it out.

Use of a scaffold pole as a lever and my most brutal chisels and crow
bars is my method of choice. It just takes time.

It is really that or a mate with a mini-digger.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

I'm always surprised how well it works actually, there is nearly
always sound wood down in the ground. The first time I tried it I
really didn't expect it to work but it just about always does (well,
I've had one failure in a dozen or more).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Once I finish digging around I plan to use my SDS to break it down a bit
before trying to remove/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

We inherited some gateposts sunk into concrete. I was able to get all the
timber out of the holes and drop new posts in. This was 30 years ago and I
can't remember how I did it. The holes were 4"x4", so probably was able to
get my hand in.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
If the post is well and truly rotten below ground, you could :
remove that rotten wood. Then you should have a fence-post :
shaped hole. OK, might not fit perfectly but a little bit of :
fettling might be enough. If needed use stones, sand, wedges :
to stabilise the post and make it vertical.

For 60cm? That's going to be bloody hard work.

Let me just rp this --

I have done the "chisel out" thing for one post hole - it was hard
work & took a few hours. I used a sturdy metal tube I had lying around
(I think an old curtain pole or similar) and hammered it as far as
possible (typically ~ 5cm) into the trapped wood, then pulled the pole
out, so removing a cylinder of wood; then repeated. One it was mostly
clear, I chiselled the remains stuck to the inside of the concrete.
This was also hard, owing to the confined space inside the concrete
(if I'd had a really long chisel-like tool, this step would have been
less hard).

The wood wasn't rotten all the way down, only maybe 5cm at most, even
though it had rotted through at ground level; making it much harder to
do than it at first seemed. If I had to do another one, I'd probably
do it faster - though I'd guess it'd take at least an hour, even with
practise. A larger diameter tube would have helped, but you wouldn't
want it to break and get stuck.

#Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 17:57, #Paul wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Are you saying you managed to get 60 cm down a 4 inch square hole (sorry
for mixing units)?

Not saying it can't be done, just that it is not easy. Given the best
part of a day, with a 4 kg SDS chisel you could break up and dig up the
concrete "ball".

I'd say if you have nearly 60 cm of relatively solid wood then I would
try to drill as far down the centre as possible with a long 1 inch
auger. Then bash in a metpost, after putting "cutting edges" on the tip
with an angle grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 16:56, JoeJoe wrote:

Once I finish digging around I plan to use my SDS to break it down a bit
before trying to remove/

That should work. Expose by digging, crack bits off with the SDS and
remove in (relatively) small pieces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 May 2020 17:57:58 +0100,
(#Paul) wrote:

newshound wrote:
[...]

I would have liked to do that on my neighbour's fence. I saw the
original being built two neighbours ago, and the swines used some big
nails poking out of the wood before pouring in the concrete to stop
the posts being pulled out. So to clear the hole I would have to have
cut the nsils.

In the end my neighbour got someone to bolt on separate concrete
posts, but I don't know how they avoided the old concrete under the
wooden posts.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 21:36, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:56, JoeJoe wrote:

Once I finish digging around I plan to use my SDS to break it down a
bit before trying to remove/

That should work. Expose by digging, crack bits off with the SDS and
remove in (relatively) small pieces.

Thanks, that's the plan. I may even get to use the angle grinder,
which is always a bonus ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2020 17:57, #Paul wrote:
I have done the "chisel out" thing for one post hole - it was hard
[...]

Are you saying you managed to get 60 cm down a 4 inch square hole (sorry
for mixing units)?

Sorry, I forgot the add that I don't think it was 60cm, but I think
was at least 40cm. It was quite frustrating trying to clear the
last bits, since the thing I was using as an improvised chisel wasn't
long enough. I'd hate to have to do 60cm.

#Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 15:32, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

(don't think I got one unfortunately).Â*Â* No worries, I'll dig it out -
cheaper than going to the (closed anyway) gym...

There are around 30 such posts that I put in altogether. All are fine
except for this one. Problem was that I put up the fence right after we
had had a very large extension added to the house.Â* Since the kids
started to learn to wonder a quick solution was needed, and I didn't
want to wait until the builders would level the ground properly as it
would have been a few more weeks. I tried my best to work out the
required heights for the posts, and succeeded in 29/30 cases, but the
coccrete for this posts ended up around 5-6cm below ground level, which
I suspect is the reason it rotted.

Thanks all for your input!

If you can extract the stub of wood from the hole, then you could
shutter up the top and add some extra concrete to raise the level of the
base before fitting the new post.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2020 15:42, John Rumm wrote:

If you can extract the stub of wood from the hole, then you could
shutter up the top and add some extra concrete to raise the level of the
base before fitting the new post.

Probably just further evidence that I'm a slob but I've raised the level
by cutting the bottoms out of old plastic paint containers and dropping
them over posts in situ. I have some standards though as I did remove
the containers after it was set - eventually.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of our local hire firms has a hydraulic post puller. Although the link shows it pulling an intact post with chains I recall an attachment that enables posts broken near their concrete base to be pulled

https://www.frank-key.co.uk/hydraulic-post-puller

The machine is capable of pulling the whole concrete lump out. I was contemplating using one but a post I need to get out is near the edge of the tarmac drive and I suspect the concrete extends under the edge, so it looks like I will have to do it the hard way.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 12:36:57 PM UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

Fence posts generally rot at surface level as the process requires oxygen ISTR
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 12:02:33 PM UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete. Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

The original mistake was setting the post in concrete. Totally unnecessary. Use an. augur or post hole borer and back fill with some gravel and soil. I've installed about 300 yards of fencing like that and never had a problem

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2020 08:40, fred wrote:
[...]

I have with some poorly treated timber

its shoes.