Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing fence post

On 19/05/2020 08:40, fred wrote:
On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 12:02:33 PM UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete. Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I will
be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new post
can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very large hole
around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

The original mistake was setting the post in concrete. Totally unnecessary. Use an. augur or post hole borer and back fill with some gravel and soil. I've installed about 300 yards of fencing like that and never had a problem

I have with some poorly treated timber

its shoes.