Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Replacing fence post

On 15/05/2020 15:32, JoeJoe wrote:
On 15/05/2020 12:02, JoeJoe wrote:
a 4 x 4 treated wood post that was in place for around 15 years has
rotted and needs replacing.

It is a 2.4m one - 60cm under ground, set using a couple of bags of
postcrete.Â*Â* Unfortunately the post has rotted right at the ground
level.

Once I free the post from the rest of the fence I am certain that I
will be able to simply snap it at the point where it meets the concrete.

Is there an easy way to remove the lump of concrete so that a new
post can be easily set in its place without having to dig a very
large hole around it and pull it out?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS: I do not have access to any heavy machinery.

time and a pickaxe and a deep spade

its probably too deep for a concrete saw.

Expect it to take all day, get in plenty of beer and just keep at it.

:-)

That's the original plan - I came here in the hope of an easier route
(don't think I got one unfortunately).Â*Â* No worries, I'll dig it out -
cheaper than going to the (closed anyway) gym...

There are around 30 such posts that I put in altogether. All are fine
except for this one. Problem was that I put up the fence right after we
had had a very large extension added to the house.Â* Since the kids
started to learn to wonder a quick solution was needed, and I didn't
want to wait until the builders would level the ground properly as it
would have been a few more weeks. I tried my best to work out the
required heights for the posts, and succeeded in 29/30 cases, but the
coccrete for this posts ended up around 5-6cm below ground level, which
I suspect is the reason it rotted.

Thanks all for your input!

If you can extract the stub of wood from the hole, then you could
shutter up the top and add some extra concrete to raise the level of the
base before fitting the new post.

--
Cheers,

John.