Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to cement for grouting slabs round pond

We have a small pond with cement slabs round it, I have wire hooks
embedded in the grout adjacent to the pond to hold a net to stop
herons eating the fish.

Some of the grout is getting a bit decrepit and we're thus losing the
hooks so I want to re-grout. Cement is not a 'good thing' in ponds
and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives I could use. There's
not a lot of bulk required, something stickier and gooier than cement
with (maybe) a bit of flexibilty would suit the job well.

Any ideas anyone?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used this stuff to grout between blocks on a mowing strip, a bit pricey but easy to put down and so far it has not cracked and neither have any weeds come through.

https://www.azpects.co.uk/products/easy-joint.aspx

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 10:02, Chris Green wrote:
We have a small pond with cement slabs round it, I have wire hooks
embedded in the grout adjacent to the pond to hold a net to stop
herons eating the fish.

Some of the grout is getting a bit decrepit and we're thus losing the
hooks so I want to re-grout. Cement is not a 'good thing' in ponds
and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives I could use. There's
not a lot of bulk required, something stickier and gooier than cement
with (maybe) a bit of flexibilty would suit the job well.

Any ideas anyone?

I know a man who does

https://www.pavingexpert.com/jointing12

I also wondered, if it is a small area and you could set the anchors
/below/ the pointing, about a sealant (e.g. the grey stuff sold as lead
sealant). IIRC is used in some places on paving, and expert has at
least one example - movement joints

https://www.pavingexpert.com/rigidbpv

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
I used this stuff to grout between blocks on a mowing strip, a bit pricey
but easy to put down and so far it has not cracked and neither have any
weeds come through.

https://www.azpects.co.uk/products/easy-joint.aspx

Yes, like lots of others, a "sweep in" grout. I don't think that's
going to work too well in my case as the paving stones overhang the
pond in places.

I'm really after something that is pointed into place in a gooey
state, i.e. like a strong cement mix but a bit stickier.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

Excellent, thank you, I can now go and "read all aboout it"! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

Well I've had a good read and I can't really see a product that
fulfils my requirements. They're aimed at being quick and easy to do
standing up. I can't really use anything that involves spreading the
stuff around and sweeping it into the gaps (whether wet or dry) as too
much will go into the pond.

What I want is close to a cement mix but with greater adhesion and
'gooiness'. :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 10:02, Chris Green wrote:
We have a small pond with cement slabs round it, I have wire hooks
embedded in the grout adjacent to the pond to hold a net to stop
herons eating the fish.

Some of the grout is getting a bit decrepit and we're thus losing the
hooks so I want to re-grout. Cement is not a 'good thing' in ponds
and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives I could use. There's
not a lot of bulk required, something stickier and gooier than cement
with (maybe) a bit of flexibilty would suit the job well.

Any ideas anyone?

Silicone sounds like the obvious. Throw some mortar (or other matching
masonry) dust on it when still wet to make it look part and parcel...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Robin wrote:
[...]

Further reading of the Paving Expert site suggests to me that maybe
what I want is a conventional cement mix with some SBR additive, it
sounds as if this might do what I want.

Does anyone have any experience of pointing paving with SBR added to
cement?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 11:28, Chris Green wrote:
Robin wrote:
[...]

I've not used them but FWIW I didn't see why they /have/ to be swept in.
I can't see what would go wrong if one used them on hands and knees
with a pointing trowel. (Well, apart perhaps from back and said.)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2020 11:11, Chris Green wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
I used this stuff to grout between blocks on a mowing strip, a bit pricey
but easy to put down and so far it has not cracked and neither have any
weeds come through.

https://www.azpects.co.uk/products/easy-joint.aspx

Yes, like lots of others, a "sweep in" grout. I don't think that's
going to work too well in my case as the paving stones overhang the
pond in places.

I hadn't seen that about overhang when I suggested hands-and-knees with
a pointing trowel. Seems to me to strengthen the case for silicone.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

We have a small pond with cement slabs round it, I have wire hooks
embedded in the grout adjacent to the pond to hold a net to stop
herons eating the fish.

That may stop them eating the fish, surprised that it stops them killing
them through the net though ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

We have a small pond with cement slabs round it, I have wire hooks
embedded in the grout adjacent to the pond to hold a net to stop
herons eating the fish.

That may stop them eating the fish, surprised that it stops them killing
them through the net though ...

It does seem to work pretty well, I guess it stops them standing in
the water too. We certainly have a lot of fish now (rather too many
really!).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
Robin wrote:
[...]

Make some "shuttering" out of oiled ply clamped to the undersides
of the overhanging stones, fill with silicone & dust with
sand/whatever. Leave to set, remove shuttering et
voilà....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 May 2020 10:03:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
We have a small pond with cement slabs round it, I have wire hooks
embedded in the grout adjacent to the pond to hold a net to stop
herons eating the fish.

Some of the grout is getting a bit decrepit and we're thus losing the
hooks so I want to re-grout. Cement is not a 'good thing' in ponds
and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives I could use. There's
not a lot of bulk required, something stickier and gooier than cement
with (maybe) a bit of flexibilty would suit the job well.

Any ideas anyone?

The usual alternative is sand epoxy mix, not cheap though. Bitumen gets used occasionally.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The trouble with grouting between slabs is you need a reasonably sloppy mix in order to get right down into the gap especially if you are talking about those Indian sandstone pavers with the bevelled edges. If you have a slight overhang can you not push something thin under the edge of the slabs or even a bit of PU foam just to stop whatever you are using from dripping into the water. Once the grout is set it will stay put.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
The trouble with grouting between slabs is you need a reasonably sloppy
mix in order to get right down into the gap especially if you are talking
about those Indian sandstone pavers with the bevelled edges. If you have
a slight overhang can you not push something thin under the edge of the
slabs or even a bit of PU foam just to stop whatever you are using from
dripping into the water. Once the grout is set it will stay put.

That's what I did originally if I remember (it was many years ago that
I laid the slabs), I stuck masking tape or some such under the
overhang and pointed above.

I just think something with a bit more adhesion than plain cement is
required to 'glue' the slabs together a bit.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 09:33:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 15 May 2020 10:03:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

We have a small pond with cement slabs round it, I have wire hooks
embedded in the grout adjacent to the pond to hold a net to stop
herons eating the fish.

Some of the grout is getting a bit decrepit and we're thus losing the
hooks so I want to re-grout. Cement is not a 'good thing' in ponds
and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives I could use. There's
not a lot of bulk required, something stickier and gooier than cement
with (maybe) a bit of flexibilty would suit the job well.

Any ideas anyone?

The usual alternative is sand epoxy mix, not cheap though. Bitumen gets used occasionally.

Any particular recommendations? It sounds ideal for my requirement
especially as I don't have any ordinary cement at the moment so SBR
plus cement would be as costly (and more inconvenient) than a 'one
item' filler like this.

I've found quite a few possibles with a search for epoxy + grout but
I'd appreciate some pointers.

I don't have enough experience with them to recommend one. Just don't make the classic mistake of thinking you can add a bit more sand & get away with it. Epoxy is expensive, sand cheap, they don't contain any more epoxy than is needed.

NT