Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to cement for grouting slabs round pond

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 09:33:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 15 May 2020 10:03:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

We have a small pond with cement slabs round it, I have wire hooks
embedded in the grout adjacent to the pond to hold a net to stop
herons eating the fish.

Some of the grout is getting a bit decrepit and we're thus losing the
hooks so I want to re-grout. Cement is not a 'good thing' in ponds
and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives I could use. There's
not a lot of bulk required, something stickier and gooier than cement
with (maybe) a bit of flexibilty would suit the job well.

Any ideas anyone?

The usual alternative is sand epoxy mix, not cheap though. Bitumen gets used occasionally.

Any particular recommendations? It sounds ideal for my requirement
especially as I don't have any ordinary cement at the moment so SBR
plus cement would be as costly (and more inconvenient) than a 'one
item' filler like this.

I've found quite a few possibles with a search for epoxy + grout but
I'd appreciate some pointers.

I don't have enough experience with them to recommend one. Just don't make the classic mistake of thinking you can add a bit more sand & get away with it. Epoxy is expensive, sand cheap, they don't contain any more epoxy than is needed.

NT