Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Half of Sizewell B switched off

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 12/05/2020 12:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
There's this impossibly large scheme for Strathdearn, above Loch Ness,
by someone calling themselves 'Scottish Scientist'
https://scottishscientist.wordpress....-for-scotland/
https://tinyurl.com/hcb953s

I heard about that. They want to pump a loch up in the mountains full of
sea water. Some will leak out of course... what was that about
environmentally friendly?

Andy

probably why we've heard nothing anymore about it .

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2020 17:59, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2020 17:52:03 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 20 May 2020 16:25:52 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

"Keeping The Lights On" in Private Eye has a little more on this ...

Do you have a link or is it pay walled?

I read it in the dead tree version. Basically it was to do with the Alice-
in-Wonderland structure of paying for 'leccy the UK has created. It
really doesn't fit in with the C-19 paradigm shift when it comes to
squeezing as much money from us as possible. Hence the grid has paid EDF
to turn off Sizewell B.

EDF reports the same.

Too much renewable energy I suppose and too little demand
Even Drax has cut back on its wood burning.

Europe has total energy surplus - we are importing all we can.

It's a very dangerous situation.

As I write 32% of the grid is being generated from non spinning turbines.

Very little margin for overload if a thunderstorm shorts out a windfarm
again...

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I am sure this is correct. My understanding it that it is/was associated
with a specific grid constraint, and there was a negociation between EDF
and Grid. I don't know whether or not money changed hands or whether
there is a certain amount of "gentlemans' agreements" between the
players at times like this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2020 16:06, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 08:31:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Very little margin for overload if a thunderstorm shorts out a windfarm
again...

Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow ?

possibly.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2020 16:06, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 08:31:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Very little margin for overload if a thunderstorm shorts out a windfarm
again...

Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow ?

Didn't get any in Sussex. Just some dark clouds at 9AM and a few
spots of rain, then back to 'normal'. Getting quite windy now
though, even in Sussex.

Rampion, off the coast from Worthing will be whizzing around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2020 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 18:38:45 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 21/05/2020 16:06, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 08:31:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Very little margin for overload if a thunderstorm shorts out a
windfarm again...

Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow ?

possibly.

Not now. Forecast for rain has been pushed out. But by 'eck is it windy.

and even more non spinning turbine energy on the grid - we have even
stopped importing

34% only spinning turbine power. knife edge stuff

--
€œThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.€

€• Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles Ã* M. Claparede, Professeur de
Théologie Ã* Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 15:06:55 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

Very little margin for overload if a thunderstorm shorts out a

windfarm
again...

Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow ?

Hopefully the pressed "save" when they tweaked the config of Hornsea
to make it less sensitive to blips on the grid. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

by 'eck is it windy.

Branches of willow blown down, turbines were still whizzing rather than
shutdown when I was on way home, crows were veering all over the place,
wind finished-off my TV aerial (but I think galvanic corrosion is the
really to blame)

http://andyburns.uk/photos/rotten-aerial.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2020 15:44, Andy Burns wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

by 'eck is it windy.

Branches of willow blown down, turbines were still whizzing rather than
shutdown when I was on way home, crows were veering all over the place,
wind finished-off my TV aerial (but I think galvanic corrosion is the
really to blame)

http://andyburns.uk/photos/rotten-aerial.jpg

It's a log aeriel though, so cannot be that old. They were
rarely seen before the ?700Mhz clearout. How would galvanic
corrosion be the cause ?. It is aluminium and clamped to
an alloy pole.

Sounds like some robust crows have been trampolining on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2020 11:02, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 15:06:55 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

Very little margin for overload if a thunderstorm shorts out a

windfarm
again...

Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow ?

Hopefully the pressed "save" when they tweaked the config of Hornsea
to make it less sensitive to blips on the grid. B-)

Big bang over Sussex earlier as a succession of downpours came
across Southern england. windy too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://andyburns.uk/photos/rotten-aerial.jpg

It's a log aeriel though, so cannot be that old. They were rarely
seen before the ?700Mhz clearout.

Installed Aug 2006 before 1st DSO, it's a full wideband, the replacement
excludes 800MHz, no doubt they'll soon produce a version to exclude 700MHz

How would galvanic corrosion be the cause ?. It is aluminium and
clamped to an alloy pole.

The clamp plate that holds it to the pole is steel, zoom in on the top
of the boom

Sounds like some robust crows have been trampolining on it.

You'll notice the one bent element, some thug of a bird did that a few
months ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

by 'eck is it windy.

Branches of willow blown down, turbines were still whizzing rather than
shutdown when I was on way home, crows were veering all over the place,
wind finished-off my TV aerial (but I think galvanic corrosion is the
really to blame)

http://andyburns.uk/photos/rotten-aerial.jpg

It's a log aeriel though, so cannot be that old. They were
rarely seen before the ?700Mhz clearout. How would galvanic
corrosion be the cause ?. It is aluminium and clamped to
an alloy pole.

Sounds like some robust crows have been trampolining on it.

There are sets of plastic spikes made for keeping birds off - don't use
metal spikes! Vertical polarization for a relay wouldn't allow birds to
land, especially on a log periodic aerial.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away