Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Half of Sizewell B switched off

On 20/05/2020 17:59, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2020 17:52:03 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 20 May 2020 16:25:52 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

"Keeping The Lights On" in Private Eye has a little more on this ...

Do you have a link or is it pay walled?

I read it in the dead tree version. Basically it was to do with the Alice-
in-Wonderland structure of paying for 'leccy the UK has created. It
really doesn't fit in with the C-19 paradigm shift when it comes to
squeezing as much money from us as possible. Hence the grid has paid EDF
to turn off Sizewell B.

EDF reports the same.

Too much renewable energy I suppose and too little demand
Even Drax has cut back on its wood burning.

Europe has total energy surplus - we are importing all we can.

It's a very dangerous situation.

As I write 32% of the grid is being generated from non spinning turbines.

Very little margin for overload if a thunderstorm shorts out a windfarm
again...

let them."