Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Setting in-set windows into box profile cladding

I need to continue replacing the asbestos-cement panels on an ex-chicken
house with box profile 0.5mm steel panels. I'll be replacing all the 2x2
studwork because what's there is either in the wrong place, rotten or
wormed. The problem is that I can't see how to inset the steel windows.
The windows are side-fixing and will sit on the raised part of the
profile (whereas the lower part of the profile will be attached to the
studwork). This must be a standard problem so I hope someone here knows
the "obvious" solution that's evading me at the moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A photo would help. I would have thought that you would need to create a framework around the window opening and fix to that

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2020 15:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A photo would help. I would have thought that you would need to create a framework around the window opening and fix to that

Richard

Not clear to me either. For Critall type steel framed windows maybe they
don't need a full studding frame for structural support, just two
vertical or horizontal studs. Perhaps the asbestos was providing some
structural support that isn't there with lighter steel cladding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2020 15:40, newshound wrote:
On 02/05/2020 15:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A photo would help. I would have thought that you would need to create
a framework around the window opening and fix to that

Richard

Not clear to me either. For Critall type steel framed windows maybe they
don't need a full studding frame for structural support, just two
vertical or horizontal studs. Perhaps the asbestos was providing some
structural support that isn't there with lighter steel cladding.

Here's an example of box profile cladding:
https://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/pr...teel-cladding/
The windows are steel with a top-hat cross-section, i.e. the outside is
larger than the opening, so they are fitted from the outside.
________
__| |_

If the cladding was flat it would make sense to: frame and skin, then
cut openings, then add vertical reinforcing timbers to take the weight
of the windows and then fit the windows and glaze - simples! However,
the cladding is not flat and I can't get my head around how to cut and
trim it so I can inset the windows. There must be an easy solution but
it eludes me thus far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 May 2020 15:23:20 UTC+1, wrote:
I need to continue replacing the asbestos-cement panels on an ex-chicken
house with box profile 0.5mm steel panels. I'll be replacing all the 2x2
studwork because what's there is either in the wrong place, rotten or
wormed. The problem is that I can't see how to inset the steel windows.
The windows are side-fixing and will sit on the raised part of the
profile (whereas the lower part of the profile will be attached to the
studwork). This must be a standard problem so I hope someone here knows
the "obvious" solution that's evading me at the moment.

Steel flashing?

.... sealing off reveals such as doors and windows. We stock a standard 90º corner or 130º ridge flashings in popular colours. Flashings are generally fitted directly to the high point of the profiled sheet using self-drilling stitching TEK screws (ST22) that has a coarse thread that joins two pieces of sheet metal together. Flashings are available in standard 3m lengths. They should be fitted with a 150mm overlap.

https://www.cladco.co.uk/flashings

door jamb flashing

https://www.cladco.co.uk/flashings/c...ade-flashings#

Owian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 May 2020 22:01:21 UTC+1, wrote:
If the cladding was flat it would make sense to: frame and skin, then
cut openings, then add vertical reinforcing timbers to take the weight
of the windows and then fit the windows and glaze - simples! However,
the cladding is not flat and I can't get my head around how to cut and
trim it so I can inset the windows. There must be an easy solution but
it eludes me thus far.

This is a discussion of fitting Velux windows in corrugated tin.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/...metal-roofing/

Owain