Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mixing different setting times of setting type joint compound

Can I get an intermediate setting time by mixing say 20-minute and
90-minute setting joint compound?
i.e. will I get a uniform intermediate setting time (assuming I mix it
well) or will some set fast and other set slower.

(Note: I know that with West Systems epoxy you can mix different
hardeners to get intermediate curing times but not sure if this works
for joint compound).

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 8:14*pm, blueman wrote:

Can I get an intermediate setting time by mixing say 20-minute and
90-minute setting joint compound?
i.e. will I get a uniform intermediate setting time (assuming I mix it
well) or will some set fast and other set slower.

(Note: I know that with West Systems epoxy you can mix different
hardeners to get intermediate curing times but not sure if this works
for joint compound).

Nope. It doesn't work that way. Whichever kicks first will kick
first and the compound won't work well after that.

The do make a 45 minute compound, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 20:14:14 -0500, blueman wrote:

Can I get an intermediate setting time by mixing say 20-minute and
90-minute setting joint compound?
i.e. will I get a uniform intermediate setting time (assuming I mix it
well) or will some set fast and other set slower.

(Note: I know that with West Systems epoxy you can mix different
hardeners to get intermediate curing times but not sure if this works
for joint compound).

Thanks

Apparently it works - but the hardening time is not linear with the
mix - and you need to mix it well DRY before adding water. Don't try
to "batch mix" it on the fly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:32:55 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Nov 15, 8:14Â*pm, blueman wrote:

Can I get an intermediate setting time by mixing say 20-minute and
90-minute setting joint compound?
i.e. will I get a uniform intermediate setting time (assuming I mix it
well) or will some set fast and other set slower.

(Note: I know that with West Systems epoxy you can mix different
hardeners to get intermediate curing times but not sure if this works
for joint compound).

Nope. It doesn't work that way. Whichever kicks first will kick
first and the compound won't work well after that.

The do make a 45 minute compound, though.

Adding just a WEE bit of 20 minute will speed up the 90 quite a bit,
from what I've been told
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 15, 8:14*pm, blueman wrote:

Can I get an intermediate setting time by mixing say 20-minute and
90-minute setting joint compound?
i.e. will I get a uniform intermediate setting time (assuming I mix it
well) or will some set fast and other set slower.

(Note: I know that with West Systems epoxy you can mix different
hardeners to get intermediate curing times but not sure if this works
for joint compound).

Nope. *It doesn't work that way. *Whichever kicks first will kick
first and the compound won't work well after that.

The do make a 45 minute compound, though.

*Adding just a WEE bit of 20 minute will *speed up the 90 quite a bit,
from what I've been told

The predictability of setting type compound is very important. Having
compound kick too quickly means you'll end up throwing compound away
and wasting money, and having it set too slowly can throw off your
finishing schedule and cost you money and time.

USG makes 5, 20, 45, 90 and 210 minute setting type compounds, and a
bag of the stuff is cheap enough and doesn't go bad. Buy a bag of
what you need if you don't have it, and save the ones you do have to
use at an appropriate time.