Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Setting in-set windows into box profile cladding

On 02/05/2020 15:40, newshound wrote:
On 02/05/2020 15:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A photo would help. I would have thought that you would need to create
a framework around the window opening and fix to that

Richard

Not clear to me either. For Critall type steel framed windows maybe they
don't need a full studding frame for structural support, just two
vertical or horizontal studs. Perhaps the asbestos was providing some
structural support that isn't there with lighter steel cladding.

Here's an example of box profile cladding:
https://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/pr...teel-cladding/
The windows are steel with a top-hat cross-section, i.e. the outside is
larger than the opening, so they are fitted from the outside.
________
__| |_

If the cladding was flat it would make sense to: frame and skin, then
cut openings, then add vertical reinforcing timbers to take the weight
of the windows and then fit the windows and glaze - simples! However,
the cladding is not flat and I can't get my head around how to cut and
trim it so I can inset the windows. There must be an easy solution but
it eludes me thus far.