Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bow saw blade for dry wood?

Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

The branch is long dead and well dried. 5 minutes work with a chainsaw but
as its about 20ft up Im not entirely comfortable with waving a chainsaw
around at altitude. ;-)

Obviously going to take longer with a bow saw but I dont mind investing in
a new sharp blade of the right type (namely, not one for green wood) if
itll make the job easier.

What should I be looking for?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

The branch is long dead and well dried. 5 minutes work with a chainsaw
but
as its about 20ft up Im not entirely comfortable with waving a chainsaw
around at altitude. ;-)

Obviously going to take longer with a bow saw but I dont mind investing
in
a new sharp blade of the right type (namely, not one for green wood) if
itll make the job easier.

What should I be looking for?

IMO a pole saw. Much less risk of falling off, you only
have to avoid being under what you are sawing off.

Electric pole saws are easier to use but obviously
cost more than a manual one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/20 21:04, Tim+ wrote:
Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

The branch is long dead and well dried. 5 minutes work with a chainsaw but
as its about 20ft up Im not entirely comfortable with waving a chainsaw
around at altitude. ;-)

Obviously going to take longer with a bow saw but I dont mind investing in
a new sharp blade of the right type (namely, not one for green wood) if
itll make the job easier.

What should I be looking for?

Tim

Something like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-jack-curved-pruning-saw/4926k

Just don't stand beneath it while you're cutting it. ;-)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John_j wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

The branch is long dead and well dried. 5 minutes work with a chainsaw
but
as its about 20ft up Im not entirely comfortable with waving a chainsaw
around at altitude. ;-)

Obviously going to take longer with a bow saw but I dont mind investing
in
a new sharp blade of the right type (namely, not one for green wood) if
itll make the job easier.

What should I be looking for?

IMO a pole saw. Much less risk of falling off, you only
have to avoid being under what you are sawing off.

Electric pole saws are easier to use but obviously
cost more than a manual one.

Too high for any pole saw Ive seen. Not about to spend that kind of
money.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/04/20 21:04, Tim+ wrote:
Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

The branch is long dead and well dried. 5 minutes work with a chainsaw but
as its about 20ft up Im not entirely comfortable with waving a chainsaw
around at altitude. ;-)

Obviously going to take longer with a bow saw but I dont mind investing in
a new sharp blade of the right type (namely, not one for green wood) if
itll make the job easier.

What should I be looking for?

Tim

Something like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-jack-curved-pruning-saw/4926k

Just don't stand beneath it while you're cutting it. ;-)

Too big for one of those. Probably 8-9 diameter, wider than it is deep.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2020 22:28, Tim+ wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/04/20 21:04, Tim+ wrote:
Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

The branch is long dead and well dried. 5 minutes work with a chainsaw but
as its about 20ft up Im not entirely comfortable with waving a chainsaw
around at altitude. ;-)

Obviously going to take longer with a bow saw but I dont mind investing in
a new sharp blade of the right type (namely, not one for green wood) if
itll make the job easier.

What should I be looking for?

Tim

Something like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-jack-curved-pruning-saw/4926k

Just don't stand beneath it while you're cutting it. ;-)

Too big for one of those. Probably 8-9 diameter, wider than it is deep.

Tim

This?
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...-bow-saw-blade
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 April 2020 22:28:52 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/04/20 21:04, Tim+ wrote:
Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

The branch is long dead and well dried. 5 minutes work with a chainsaw but
as its about 20ft up Im not entirely comfortable with waving a chainsaw
around at altitude. ;-)

Obviously going to take longer with a bow saw but I dont mind investing in
a new sharp blade of the right type (namely, not one for green wood) if
itll make the job easier.

What should I be looking for?

Tim

Something like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-jack-curved-pruning-saw/4926k

Just don't stand beneath it while you're cutting it. ;-)

Too big for one of those. Probably 8-9 diameter, wider than it is deep.

Hah. You'll struggle with a bowsaw with something that size.
Especially up a ladder.
Make the first cut from underneath & finish it from on top. The cut will open that way & the branch will come off cleanly.
Be sure to tie the ladder to the tree.
It will take an hour at least.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ brought next idea :
Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

If it is really dead and dry, attach a rope and apply some weight to
breal it off. A bow and blunt arrow might help in getting a line over
it, to help with the rope.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Apr 2020 21:28:49 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Too big for one of those. Probably 8-9 diameter, wider than it is deep.

Pole saw -- the kind with hooked noses on the ends. Extend the pole with duct
tape and bamboo poles.

Fiskars make them.

(Searching for "Silky pole saw" will get you razor-sharp sawblades at the end of
light poles, extendable to six meters. Sadly, this comes at a
significant^Wexorbitant price.)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:
On 12 Apr 2020 21:28:49 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Too big for one of those. Probably 8-9 diameter, wider than it is deep.

Pole saw -- the kind with hooked noses on the ends. Extend the pole with duct
tape and bamboo poles.

Fiskars make them.

(Searching for "Silky pole saw" will get you razor-sharp sawblades at the end of
light poles, extendable to six meters. Sadly, this comes at a
significant^Wexorbitant price.)

Ive climbed the tree today and theres less wood to cut through than I
thought. From the ground the branch looks half snapped whereas in fact
its nearer 80%. Ive got rope climbing gear and if I can persuade my wife
to belay me (again) I think Ill actually manage with my existing handsaw.

Thanks anyway.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Thomas Prufer wrote:
On 12 Apr 2020 21:28:49 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Too big for one of those. Probably 8-9 diameter, wider than it is deep.

Pole saw -- the kind with hooked noses on the ends. Extend the pole with duct
tape and bamboo poles.

Fiskars make them.

(Searching for "Silky pole saw" will get you razor-sharp sawblades at the end of
light poles, extendable to six meters. Sadly, this comes at a
significant^Wexorbitant price.)

Ive climbed the tree today and theres less wood to cut through than I
thought. From the ground the branch looks half snapped whereas in fact
its nearer 80%. Ive got rope climbing gear and if I can persuade my wife
to belay me (again) I think Ill actually manage with my existing handsaw.

Job done. Branch was nearer 90% snapped which just left a rind of wood
about an inch thick to saw through. Getting to it was the tricky bit but
with a combination of a ladder, a bit of climbing and some rope climbing
gear for security and my wife belaying me from below, the job was
accomplished without too many near-death experiences. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2020 17:53, Tim+ wrote:

Job done.

Good, should you have the need again I would forget bowsaws and look at
a Silky (or other make) pull saw, Zubat or Gomtaro, though for guerrilla
footpath work I used a Gomtaro Big boy folding saw with 7.5 TPI. Blades
are several times more expensive than bow saw blades but last quite
well, are re sharpenable with diamond feather edge file and a joy to use
in comparison.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2020 21:21, John_j wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message

Theres a large dead branch dangling from the Larch at the end of my
garden. Still attached but it looks untidy and Ive a mind to lop it off.

The branch is long dead and well dried.* 5 minutes work with a
chainsaw but
as its about 20ft up Im not entirely comfortable with waving a chainsaw
around at altitude. ;-)

Obviously going to take longer with a bow saw but I dont mind
investing in
a new sharp blade of the right type (namely, not one for green wood) if
itll make the job easier.

What should I be looking for?

IMO a pole saw. Much less risk of falling off, you only
have to avoid being under what you are sawing off.

Electric pole saws are easier to use but obviously
cost more than a manual one.

You missed a good one at Lidl a few weeks ago, 50 notes IIRC (I already
have batteries). Won't do 20 feet of course, but assuming you can get a
ladder up somewhere safely you can be well clear of the sharp bit and
the heavy bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 23:03:02 +0100, AJH
wrote:

On 13/04/2020 17:53, Tim+ wrote:

Job done.

Good, should you have the need again I would forget bowsaws and look at
a Silky (or other make) pull saw, Zubat or Gomtaro, though for guerrilla
footpath work I used a Gomtaro Big boy folding saw with 7.5 TPI. Blades
are several times more expensive than bow saw blades but last quite
well, are re sharpenable with diamond feather edge file and a joy to use
in comparison.

+1

Daughters Silky was very very sharp (one reason for metal strops I
believe) and would appear to go like a knife though butter on branches
that 'looked' like they would be way to big for it.

Did I mention how sharp they were ... (DAMHIK). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Bow saw blade length Dave Baker UK diy 25 October 29th 14 08:43 AM
bending an old bow saw blade [email protected] UK diy 3 December 15th 12 07:43 PM
a decent bow-saw mary Woodworking 5 May 27th 09 03:57 AM
Miter Saw Blade versus Sliding Miter Saw Blade? toller Woodworking 8 February 19th 05 11:03 AM
Dry carbide blade in small table saw? Fred R Metalworking 1 July 10th 03 10:45 PM