Posted to rec.woodworking

Default a decent bow-saw

anyone know where to buy one? I use it for cutting branches.The ones I
have found won't keep their shape and as a result the blade will
stick.
I would like to pay a bit more to get one of better quality.
I am in Ireland.
Posted to rec.woodworking

mary wrote:
anyone know where to buy one? I use it for cutting branches.The ones I
have found won't keep their shape and as a result the blade will
stick.
I would like to pay a bit more to get one of better quality.
I am in Ireland.

I understand Sandvik makes a good bow saw, but I've never used one (I
made my own).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 9:30*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
mary wrote:
anyone know where to buy one? I use it for cutting branches.The ones I
have found won't keep their shape and as a result the blade will
stick.
I would like to pay a bit more to get one of better quality.
I am in Ireland.

I understand Sandvik makes a good bow saw, but I've never used one (I
made my own).

Ditto on the recommendation, though Sandvik is now Bahco.
http://www.tools-plus.com/sandvik-ba...-21-51-kp.html

Should be available in Ireland, Mary, but I would be willing to bring
you one if you'll cover transportation costs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Bahco Bow Saw is available mail order from Axminster Tool Centre either
£12.64 or £15.40 plus p&p.

My Sandvik bow saw is over forty years old and only on its second blade,
even though it gets some really heavy use pruning the trees in my garden
every year or two.

I've dealt with Axminster on-line for several years both for myself and when
I was working. They offer a fast and efficient service.

URL
www.axminster.co.uk

I am not connected with Axminster nor have I worked for them at any time,
just a satisfied customer.

--
Alan
Retired
"mary" wrote in message
anyone know where to buy one? I use it for cutting branches.The ones I
have found won't keep their shape and as a result the blade will
stick.
I would like to pay a bit more to get one of better quality.
I am in Ireland.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 May, 20:41, "Alan Squires" wrote:
[...]

I am in Ireland.- Hide quoted text -

thanks.I'll have to get one

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 May, 14:21, mary wrote:
anyone know where to buy one? I use it for cutting branches.

Not a fan myself - I use my folding pruning saw far more than a bow
saw. With modern steels there's far less need to use a skinny piece of
bandsaw and thus have to keep it tensioned with a bow frame. Obviously
this makes things much easier for access past other branches!

Obviously these are all pull saws too...

Mine:
* My "Ars" saw. Bought it in Belfast years ago (that great little
toolshop in the middle), some Japanese brandname that made me laugh
anyway. Good saw though.
* Japanese "Silky" brand. Lovely saws, bit expensive though and they
come from Axminster.
* Tesco own brand. £5 (!!), folding blade in a green plastic loop
handle. Yes, really. Damn good saw - let's see how long it holds an
edge for. The trick with buying pruning saws (wet wood) is to look for
a taper-ground blade (thinner at the back) so that it gives more
clearance in the kerf. So Aldi's flat-ground one isn't worth looking
at, but this Tesco one is great.
* Sandvik, maybe 10 years old. Thin sheet blade, bendy, no clearance
and a poor saw all round, especially with this name on it.
Disappointing.

Big stuff - my 3' long single-handed "Goat Head" (eBay). For things
in this size, you ought to find an old (1950s) book on handsaws and
learn the half-dozen tooth shapes before sharpening them. It _does_
make a difference, according to wood and season.

Good mail-order shops are Axminster (UK) and Dick.biz (Germany, good
mail-order for high-end tools).