Joseph Smith

Default Did I get a decent price on my QS Red Oak?

Found a guy in Norfolk, VA who has just added to his tree cutting service
and has started a lumber business along side it. He has a "Wood-Mizer" and
just got his Kiln on-line.
Came to an agreement with him for 200bft of QS Red Oak @ $1.75bdft after
some haggling. It would cost me extra and a long delay to have him dry it
for
me. But the logs he cut it off were harvested by a him a long while ago and
the
Moisture content is running between 14 - 16% in the boards; so I took it at
the
above price and I'll let it dry the rest of the way in my Garaaashop.
Did I get a fair price for only partially cured QS Red Oak? My other lumber
place here doesn't carry QS Red Oak and their non-QS Kiln dried R.O. goes
for about $2.60bdft.

Joey in Chesapeake

NorthIdahoWWer

Is this a gloat disguised as a question? :-)

Came to an agreement with him for 200bft of QS Red Oak @ $1.75bdft after
some haggling.

Leon

"Joseph Smith" wrote in message

Did I get a fair price for only partially cured QS Red Oak? My other
lumber
place here doesn't carry QS Red Oak and their non-QS Kiln dried R.O. goes
for about $2.60bdft.

If you feel you got a good deal that is all that matters. I can get the
same S3S dried to 6~8% for about $3.65. S3S regular Red oak for about
$3.25. Location has a lot to do with the price you will pay.

no(SPAM)vasys

Joseph Smith wrote:
[...]

The lumber dealer I normally buy from sells flat sawn red oak for $2.60
bd/ft also. He carries quarter sawn red oak and sells it for $6.60.
I'd say you got a good price.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Odinn

Joseph Smith wrote:
Found a guy in Norfolk, VA who has just added to his tree cutting service
and has started a lumber business along side it. He has a "Wood-Mizer" and
just got his Kiln on-line.
Came to an agreement with him for 200bft of QS Red Oak @ $1.75bdft after
some haggling. It would cost me extra and a long delay to have him dry it
for
me. But the logs he cut it off were harvested by a him a long while ago and
the
Moisture content is running between 14 - 16% in the boards; so I took it at
the
above price and I'll let it dry the rest of the way in my Garaaashop.
Did I get a fair price for only partially cured QS Red Oak? My other lumber
place here doesn't carry QS Red Oak and their non-QS Kiln dried R.O. goes
for about $2.60bdft.

Damn, I was just in Chesapeake Memorial Day weekend having some red oak
and red maple sawed. I ended up leaving an awful lot of the maple and
oak because I couldn't haul it. Also left a VERY large yellow poplar
because the tractor couldn't move it. Cost me $275 to have about 700 bd
ft of maple and oak sawn (wood-mizer brought on-site). Pics of my loaded
truck and trailer ready to be hauled back to GA can be seen at
http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/Landscaping/HPIM0693

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Wilson

Why did you drive way up there?
Why is the truck empty? If I'm not afraid the springs will break, I don't
feel I have a full load...and that's with 1000lb overloads.
I've hired Woodmizers for about 30,000 BF now...built whole house and still
have piles (of wood).
Wilson
"Odinn" wrote in message
Joseph Smith wrote:
[...]

Rumpty

Yes, I would say you got a good deal. Doesn't cost you a thing to let it
dry.

Actual inflation is probably running 15%/yr. so add 15% to that price you
get and you still don't have KD wood.

--

Rumpty

news