Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default a decent bow-saw

On 25 May, 14:21, mary wrote:
anyone know where to buy one? I use it for cutting branches.

Not a fan myself - I use my folding pruning saw far more than a bow
saw. With modern steels there's far less need to use a skinny piece of
bandsaw and thus have to keep it tensioned with a bow frame. Obviously
this makes things much easier for access past other branches!

Obviously these are all pull saws too...

Mine:
* My "Ars" saw. Bought it in Belfast years ago (that great little
toolshop in the middle), some Japanese brandname that made me laugh
anyway. Good saw though.
* Japanese "Silky" brand. Lovely saws, bit expensive though and they
come from Axminster.
* Tesco own brand. £5 (!!), folding blade in a green plastic loop
handle. Yes, really. Damn good saw - let's see how long it holds an
edge for. The trick with buying pruning saws (wet wood) is to look for
a taper-ground blade (thinner at the back) so that it gives more
clearance in the kerf. So Aldi's flat-ground one isn't worth looking
at, but this Tesco one is great.
* Sandvik, maybe 10 years old. Thin sheet blade, bendy, no clearance
and a poor saw all round, especially with this name on it.
Disappointing.

Big stuff - my 3' long single-handed "Goat Head" (eBay). For things
in this size, you ought to find an old (1950s) book on handsaws and
learn the half-dozen tooth shapes before sharpening them. It _does_
make a difference, according to wood and season.

Good mail-order shops are Axminster (UK) and Dick.biz (Germany, good
mail-order for high-end tools).