zzzzara

Default Idiot's guide to plumbing in a washing machine

Hi,

I'm about to replace my aged washer/dryer and was hoping to do the
plumbing myself, but don't have the first idea how to go about it.
Does anyone know of an idiot-proof guide, either on the web or in a
book? (Google seems to have failed me...)

thanks!
Rob

"zzzzara" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm about to replace my aged washer/dryer and was hoping to do the
plumbing myself, but don't have the first idea how to go about it.
Does anyone know of an idiot-proof guide, either on the web or in a
book? (Google seems to have failed me...)

thanks!

I was going to state that anyone who needed a guide to unscrew and rescrew
to grips probably couldn't use google (sorry)...but ...then I remembered how
my wife an I bought our first washing machine/ Dryer.

When we set-up a house together we had the usual (extremely expensive)
outlay of sofa/ bed/ etc.. etc... to buy.

Then my PA at work stated that she had just bought a new washer/ dryer as
the one she had (Miele - 4 months old) would leave clothes all wrinkled
after the rinse cycle and were a 'b@st@rd" to iron - her words, not mine
(and she was in her 60's!).

I asked how much she wanted and she said I could have it for 80 quid (600
new) - bargain - as long as I picked it up - I said okay on the spot! -
BTW: I didn't really care about the creasing issue - as my wife does the
ironing ;=)

When I went to collect it, I saw that the water feeds had been swapped
around!!! - so she was rinsing in 60o+ water - no wonder the clothes were
creased! - I pointed this out and said that was all she needed to do was
swap these around - but she (and her husband) said the new machine was
coming the day after and it didn't matter!

The machine is still going strong - without creasing clothes (7 years
later) - although for my sister-in-law now (to whom I sold it to for 200
quid after we had used it for 5 years ;-) - when my wife and I moved to
Australia.

Rob

R Taylor

"zzzzara" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm about to replace my aged washer/dryer and was hoping to do the
plumbing myself, but don't have the first idea how to go about it.
Does anyone know of an idiot-proof guide, either on the web or in a
book?

(Google seems to have failed me...)

works ok here

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...oogl e+Search

http://tinyurl.com/64mv9

RT

Terry D

R Taylor wrote:
"zzzzara" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm about to replace my aged washer/dryer and was hoping to do the
plumbing myself, but don't have the first idea how to go about it.
Does anyone know of an idiot-proof guide, either on the web or in a
book?

(Google seems to have failed me...)

works ok here

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...oogl e+Search

http://tinyurl.com/64mv9

RT

Don't be tempted use self-cutting valves for you water supplies. I once
fitted one for a outside tap and in the end had to fit a proper T-piece due
to drastic loss of pressure. You can obtain U-bend sink wastes which
incorporate washing machine waste adaptors, eliminating the need for stand
pipes etc. Try BES for your fittings - they're very cheap and very good
quality.

Terry D.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
zzzzara wrote:
I'm about to replace my aged washer/dryer and was hoping to do the
plumbing myself, but don't have the first idea how to go about it.

There isn't any new plumbing needed.

Does anyone know of an idiot-proof guide, either on the web or in a
book? (Google seems to have failed me...)

Un hook the waste from standpipe and plonk in the new. Undo the hose and
screw on the new. Oh - you'll need to plug it in too.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
R Taylor

"Terry D" wrote

Don't be tempted use self-cutting valves for you water supplies. I once
fitted one for a outside tap and in the end had to fit a proper T-piece due
to drastic loss of pressure.

fitted it wrong then, didn't you :-)

fwiw, I've had to use 2 in my current house, both times there was no
access to use compression fittings, both times I've had no problems.

RT

wattie

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
zzzzara wrote:
I'm about to replace my aged washer/dryer and was hoping to do the
plumbing myself, but don't have the first idea how to go about it.

There isn't any new plumbing needed.

Does anyone know of an idiot-proof guide, either on the web or in a
book? (Google seems to have failed me...)

Un hook the waste from standpipe and plonk in the new. Undo the hose and
screw on the new. Oh - you'll need to plug it in too.

I'd be very tempted to turn off the water first!!

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

zzzzara

"R Taylor" wrote in message ...
"zzzzara" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm about to replace my aged washer/dryer and was hoping to do the
plumbing myself, but don't have the first idea how to go about it.
Does anyone know of an idiot-proof guide, either on the web or in a
book?

(Google seems to have failed me...)

works ok here

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...oogl e+Search

http://tinyurl.com/64mv9

Thanks, but these articles seem to be about how to plumb in a washing
machine from scratch, and not the (presumably much simpler) task of
replacing an existing washing machine.
zzzzara

zzzzara wrote:
I'm about to replace my aged washer/dryer and was hoping to do the
plumbing myself, but don't have the first idea how to go about it.

There isn't any new plumbing needed.

Does anyone know of an idiot-proof guide, either on the web or in a
book? (Google seems to have failed me...)

Un hook the waste from standpipe and plonk in the new. Undo the hose and
screw on the new.

Thanks.

Oh - you'll need to plug it in too.

I'm dumb, but not quite that dumb.
Grunff

zzzzara wrote:

Thanks, but these articles seem to be about how to plumb in a washing
machine from scratch, and not the (presumably much simpler) task of
replacing an existing washing machine.

Without meaining to be rude, do you really have so little initiative as
to require a step-by-step description? How about just pulling the
machine out and having a look?

--
Grunff
Bill

On 12 Aug 2004 01:41:21 -0700, (zzzzara) wrote:

Yes, that's all it is - do I need any tools to do this?

I realise it's a very basic question, but it's not something I've ever
attempted before.

Should be very simple.

Waste pipe probably sits freely in the top of a vertical open ended
pipe fixed to the wall. Easy.

Hot and cold pipes unscrew from the back of the machine on plastic
fittings. May or may not be tight so a slip-jointed wrench could be
useful. Remember to turn off the hot & cold valves at the other end of
both pipes first!! Should be a small handle on each that turns through
90 degrees. When you disconnect the pipes there will be some water
coming out that was trapped in them, but should only be a cupful or
so.

Your new machine will come with new water feed pipes supplied
separately in the box. You don't have to use them, but it may be worth
it depending on the condition of the old ones. Connect both ends,
making sure there is a sealing washer (usually black) in each end and
tighten by hand. Turn the valves back on and check for leaks. If there
are any try tightening the connectors a bit more, using a wrench if
necessary just to 'nip' them up. Be very careful though not to
overtighten as the threads are plastic and may strip with excessive
force. Run the machine through a cycle and keep checking for leaks.

Bill
** All views expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employer **

Owain

"Bill" wrote
| Your new machine will come with new water feed pipes supplied
| separately in the box. ... Run the machine through a cycle and
| keep checking for leaks.

If it's a new boxed machine it will probably have transit bolts or brackets
internally which need to be undone/removed before running the machine.

The OP should look for the usually very obvious instructions on the box or
sellotaped to the machine (or inside the drum) on doing this before anything
else.

Always a good idea to thoroughly check the drum is both empty and revolves
freely before using.

Owain

zzzzara

Grunff wrote in message ...
zzzzara wrote:

Thanks, but these articles seem to be about how to plumb in a washing
machine from scratch, and not the (presumably much simpler) task of
replacing an existing washing machine.

Without meaining to be rude, do you really have so little initiative as
to require a step-by-step description? How about just pulling the
machine out and having a look?

It's seriously hard to get out and I'd quite like to have an idea of
what the score is before I get going.