zzzzara

Default Idiot's guide to plumbing in a washing machine

(Bill) wrote in message ...
On 12 Aug 2004 01:41:21 -0700,
(zzzzara) wrote:

Yes, that's all it is - do I need any tools to do this?

I realise it's a very basic question, but it's not something I've ever
attempted before.

Should be very simple.

Waste pipe probably sits freely in the top of a vertical open ended
pipe fixed to the wall. Easy.

Hot and cold pipes unscrew from the back of the machine on plastic
fittings. May or may not be tight so a slip-jointed wrench could be
useful. Remember to turn off the hot & cold valves at the other end of
both pipes first!! Should be a small handle on each that turns through
90 degrees. When you disconnect the pipes there will be some water
coming out that was trapped in them, but should only be a cupful or
so.

Your new machine will come with new water feed pipes supplied
separately in the box. You don't have to use them, but it may be worth
it depending on the condition of the old ones. Connect both ends,
making sure there is a sealing washer (usually black) in each end and
tighten by hand. Turn the valves back on and check for leaks. If there
are any try tightening the connectors a bit more, using a wrench if
necessary just to 'nip' them up. Be very careful though not to
overtighten as the threads are plastic and may strip with excessive
force. Run the machine through a cycle and keep checking for leaks.

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful.