Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Top tip. How to combat panic buying.

If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 10:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 09:51:19 +0000, Pomegranate *******
wrote:

If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

Yea. 'Black Bottom' was a dance craze in the early 1900's. You're
advocating it's reintroduction? https://tinyurl.com/yx2r8wl3

like I did this morning only let them buy what they can carry ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 09:51, Pomegranate ******* wrote:
If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

Not if you have a Saniflo though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:01:37 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

snip

Yea. 'Black Bottom' was a dance craze in the early 1900's. You're
advocating it's reintroduction? https://tinyurl.com/yx2r8wl3

;-)

I do question if everyone is panic buying or just offsetting their JIT
and being prepared in case they are ill / self isolate?

We do our 'weekly shop' on foot with a trolley and just as the
Coronavirus thing started to kick off, we needed to top up our
relatively small buffer of baked beans and the like. I don't consider
it 'stockpiling' if what you buy still fits in your standard kitchen
cupboards.

Similar thing with dog food. We typically buy a 15kg bag of Kibble and
a selection of tins of meat and split those between the 3 places the
dog finds itself at dinner time (Daughters, ours, my Mums) and just
recently bought a bag as we were all running low.

A couple of days ago we popped into our local Sainbury's just before
closing and bought the fresh ingredients for me to do a stir-fry for 4
and a couple of packs of beer as there was none round Mums.

There were a few packs of toilet roll on the shelves (we didn't buy
any), few of the shelves looked empty and we just bought a baskets
worth of the stuff we needed.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

Yea. 'Black Bottom' was a dance craze in the early 1900's. You're
advocating it's reintroduction? https://tinyurl.com/yx2r8wl3

If Johnson gets **** faced it's well worth it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:47:46 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 16/03/2020 09:51, Pomegranate ******* wrote:
If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

Not if you have a Saniflo though.

Oh I don't know. You can hoik it out and then get a second laugh
looking at Johnson's face.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:12:03 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:55:11 +0000, T i m wrote:

There were a few packs of toilet roll on the shelves (we didn't buy
any), few of the shelves looked empty and we just bought a baskets worth
of the stuff we needed.

Cheers, T i m

When all else fails:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/paper-rol...m-6-pack/148jj

Much cheaper from Nisbets, even with postage on a single pack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Pomegranate
******* scribeth thus
If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...age-system-in-
danger-of-gridlock-from-toilet-paper-substitutes-coronavirus
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:12:03 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:55:11 +0000, T i m wrote:

There were a few packs of toilet roll on the shelves (we didn't buy
any), few of the shelves looked empty and we just bought a baskets
worth of the stuff we needed.

When all else fails:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/paper-rol...m-6-pack/148jj

And I really don't want to consider how 'appropriate' it may be for
the job ...

"Extra strong and highly absorbent. Great for decorating projects and
household tasks. "

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 20:39, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:12:03 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:55:11 +0000, T i m wrote:

There were a few packs of toilet roll on the shelves (we didn't buy
any), few of the shelves looked empty and we just bought a baskets
worth of the stuff we needed.

When all else fails:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/paper-rol...m-6-pack/148jj

And I really don't want to consider how 'appropriate' it may be for
the job ...

"Extra strong and highly absorbent. Great for decorating projects and
household tasks. "

;-)

Cheers, T i m

That means really good at blocking up the drains if there are any
defects down there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 22:07, williamwright wrote:
On 16/03/2020 09:51, Pomegranate ******* wrote:
If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2Â* Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

How childish.

Bill

And you have to pay for it. The Metro is free.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 16 March 2020 09:51:26 UTC, Pomegranate ******* wrote:

If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

Unfortunately the way to counter panic buying is to panic buy, making it pretty much an unsolvable problem. Went round 6 supermarkets and still didn't get all the essentials. Pity elderly folks in villages who simply don't have the strength to do that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/03/2020 09:51, Pomegranate ******* wrote:
If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.

2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).

But you have to buy a copy of Razzle magazine to hide the copy of the
Daily Mail inside it so that you do not look like a ****** at the counter.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 20:10:42 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
wrote:

Mind you they used to eat fish and chips out of newspaper when I were a
lad.

It has also to be said that other newspapers particularly the free ones work
just as well.
Brian

Yes but the print didn't come off in those days.
--
Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mind you they used to eat fish and chips out of newspaper when I were a
lad.

As I remember in the '70s - and they tasted so much better for some reason.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Walker
Mind you they used to eat fish and chips out of newspaper when I were
a lad.

As I remember in the '70s - and they tasted so much better for some
reason.

Beef dripping rather than plant oil. It was that much hotter, so every
thing was crisper.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/03/2020 09:51, Pomegranate ******* wrote:
If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

Not if you have a Saniflo though.

Oh I don't know. You can hoik it out and then get a second laugh
looking at Johnson's face.

Watching his performance in press conferences makes me think that
perhaps there might be a God after all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 20:25, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

Mind you they used to eat fish and chips out of newspaper when I were a
lad.

It has also to be said that other newspapers particularly the free ones work
just as well.
Brian

Yes but the print didn't come off in those days.

Oh yes it did! The ink was cheap - carbon black in an oil carrier, and
not a drying oil at that. One of the features of newspapers in those
days was that you got your hands dirty while reading them. Didn't make
any difference to the F&C though.

And one of the reasons they were so good at cleaning car windscreens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/03/2020 09:51, Pomegranate ******* wrote:
If you're finding it hard to find essential items like toilet rolls
here's an alternative.
1. Fix a hook to your toilet wall.
2 Obtain a copy of the Daily Mail. (Don't worry, you don't have to
read it).
3. Put carefully crafted strips of Daily Mail onto the hook.
4. Have a good ****.
5. Use as many strips of Daily Mail as necessary. If you can find a
strip with the face of Boris Johnson printed on it than so much the
better.
6. Rejoice in the fact that the Daily Mail has been put to good use.

Not if you have a Saniflo though.

Oh I don't know. You can hoik it out and then get a second laugh
looking at Johnson's face.

Watching his performance in press conferences makes me think that
perhaps there might be a God after all.

I was trying to think who he reminded me of, talking about things he
didn't appear to understand himself; then I remembered Tommy Cooper.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mind you they used to eat fish and chips out of newspaper when I were a
lad.

It has also to be said that other newspapers particularly the free ones work
just as well.
Brian

Yes but the print didn't come off in those days.

Oh yes it did! The ink was cheap - carbon black in an oil carrier, and
not a drying oil at that. One of the features of newspapers in those
days was that you got your hands dirty while reading them. Didn't make
any difference to the F&C though.

I don't think you're going back far enough in time. I was talking
about letterpress, not offset litho.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mind you they used to eat fish and chips out of newspaper when I were a
lad.

It has also to be said that other newspapers particularly the free ones work
just as well.
Brian

Yes but the print didn't come off in those days.

Oh yes it did! The ink was cheap - carbon black in an oil carrier, and
not a drying oil at that. One of the features of newspapers in those
days was that you got your hands dirty while reading them. Didn't make
any difference to the F&C though.

I don't think you're going back far enough in time. I was talking
about letterpress, not offset litho.

It's the reason the better-off had their servants iron the newspapers.
Not to iron any out creases.

michael adams

Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2020 11:55, T i m wrote:
[...]

nobody is interested in your shopping habits tim ....