Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default indirect lighting onto ceiling

My study is being redecorated after the need to dig under the floor to
replace the incoming water main. I am refitting the fitted bookcases
across one wall and I have a wire in place to add some lighting. I want
lights behind the cornice of the bookcases shining onto the ceiling for
a nice gentle dffused effect.

In the few years since I last looked everything has gone LED and I have
no idea what kind of fitting I need. An LED cord? A batten? or battens?
In the olden days you might have used fluorescent tubes, but not now.
The bookcase is all of one wall, 2.5m wide and the cornice is about
300mm below the ceiling. I have some foil tape to make it all reflective.

What sort of light is needed in this situation?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote

My study is being redecorated after the need to dig under the
floor to replace the incoming water main. I am refitting the fitted
bookcases across one wall and I have a wire in place to add some
lighting. I want lights behind the cornice of the bookcases shining
onto the ceiling for a nice gentle dffused effect.

In the few years since I last looked everything has gone LED
and I have no idea what kind of fitting I need. An LED cord?

Those work very well in that situation and is very easy to do.

A batten? or battens?

A LED cord works much better in that situation.

In the olden days you might have used fluorescent tubes, but not now.

Still viable now but no point anymore instead of a LED cord.

The bookcase is all of one wall, 2.5m wide and the cornice is about
300mm below the ceiling. I have some foil tape to make it all reflective.

What sort of light is needed in this situation?

:LED cord would work well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 00:06:17 UTC, TimW wrote:

My study is being redecorated after the need to dig under the floor to
replace the incoming water main. I am refitting the fitted bookcases
across one wall and I have a wire in place to add some lighting. I want
lights behind the cornice of the bookcases shining onto the ceiling for
a nice gentle dffused effect.

In the few years since I last looked everything has gone LED and I have
no idea what kind of fitting I need. An LED cord? A batten? or battens?
In the olden days you might have used fluorescent tubes, but not now.
The bookcase is all of one wall, 2.5m wide and the cornice is about
300mm below the ceiling. I have some foil tape to make it all reflective.

What sort of light is needed in this situation?

TW

LED tape. You can get warm white, cool white, RGB and self colour changing RGB.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 00:06, TimW wrote:
My study is being redecorated after the need to dig under the floor to
replace the incoming water main. I am refitting the fitted bookcases
across one wall and I have a wire in place to add some lighting. I want
lights behind the cornice of the bookcases shining onto the ceiling for
a nice gentle dffused effect.

In the few years since I last looked everything has gone LED and I have
no idea what kind of fitting I need. An LED cord? A batten? or battens?
In the olden days you might have used fluorescent tubes, but not now.
The bookcase is all of one wall, 2.5m wide and the cornice is about
300mm below the ceiling. I have some foil tape to make it all reflective.

What sort of light is needed in this situation?

I have used LED tape light in these circumstances. Its low enough
profile you don't even need the cornice if the top is high enough.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 12:44:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

In the few years since I last looked everything has gone LED
and I have no idea what kind of fitting I need. An LED cord?

Those work very well in that situation and is very easy to do.

It certainly can't be as difficult as making you shut your senile gob,
senile Rodent.

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent: