Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Indirect cove lighting

We are trying to find lighting for a cove in our living room. This
room has a medium color stained wood ceiling that is vaulted. We like
the light that Xenon lamps produce, but cannot find any systems that
do not require bulky transformers. We do not have a place to put a
transformer. So, we are looking for some lighting that is 1-dimable,
2-120v, and 3-sizable in length. The lighting will be placed between
beams that have approx 3'-7" between them.
Does anyone have any idea where we can find such a thing?
We do have a product that we obtained at a local lighting distributor
for over our kitchen cabinets that uses C7 lamps. They call is a bodde
(sounds like bo-dee) strip. It looks like wiremold with 10 candelabra
sockets in it. I can't find it online anywhere and they have jacked up
the price since we bought it last. This would be a last resort.

Please let me know if this should be posted in another group.

Thanks
Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 12:57 am, wrote:
On 22 Feb 2007 17:02:37 -0800, "avallk" wrote:

[...]

Rope light?

Rope lights would not be bright enough. The wood would 'eat up' the
light.
Thanks

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

(I just posted this over in sci.engr.lighting.)

To get the amount of light you'll need from standard incandescent is
going to take a lot of power and many many bulbs that will need
changing often. C7 lamps would be my last choice! I'd rather put a
transformer in the cove.

My recommendation is a little on the pricey side: Dimmable
fluorescent
strips.
The best dimming ballasts (IMHO) are Lutron HiLume and can be ordered
as part of any kind of fixture you might want. There are also a good
number of fixtures built to mount inside your cove. They have just
the
right reflectors and will minimise the shadows between lamps.
For example: http://www.lamlighting.com/pdf/cove_...20Brochure.pdf
or http://www.birchwoodlighting.com/ashley.htm

Especially with a less than white ceiling, you need some serious
lighting power. (Yes, they come in 3' lengths.) Knowing how much
light
is a detailed process, getting some skilled help is highly
recommended!!

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views