Posted to alt.home.repair
RickR RickR is offline

Default Indirect cove lighting

(I just posted this over in sci.engr.lighting.)

To get the amount of light you'll need from standard incandescent is
going to take a lot of power and many many bulbs that will need
changing often. C7 lamps would be my last choice! I'd rather put a
transformer in the cove.

My recommendation is a little on the pricey side: Dimmable
fluorescent
strips.
The best dimming ballasts (IMHO) are Lutron HiLume and can be ordered
as part of any kind of fixture you might want. There are also a good
number of fixtures built to mount inside your cove. They have just
the
right reflectors and will minimise the shadows between lamps.
For example: http://www.lamlighting.com/pdf/cove_...20Brochure.pdf
or http://www.birchwoodlighting.com/ashley.htm

Especially with a less than white ceiling, you need some serious
lighting power. (Yes, they come in 3' lengths.) Knowing how much
light
is a detailed process, getting some skilled help is highly
recommended!!

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views