Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default indirect lighting onto ceiling

TimW wrote

My study is being redecorated after the need to dig under the
floor to replace the incoming water main. I am refitting the fitted
bookcases across one wall and I have a wire in place to add some
lighting. I want lights behind the cornice of the bookcases shining
onto the ceiling for a nice gentle dffused effect.

In the few years since I last looked everything has gone LED
and I have no idea what kind of fitting I need. An LED cord?

Those work very well in that situation and is very easy to do.

A batten? or battens?

A LED cord works much better in that situation.

In the olden days you might have used fluorescent tubes, but not now.

Still viable now but no point anymore instead of a LED cord.

The bookcase is all of one wall, 2.5m wide and the cornice is about
300mm below the ceiling. I have some foil tape to make it all reflective.

What sort of light is needed in this situation?

:LED cord would work well.