Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to buy G9 LEDs, i.e. reasonable price and quality?

My MIL has bought some light fittings which need a total of 7 G9 LED
bulbs, my first foray to Toolstation and Screwfix tells me they're
expensive!

CPC are better but still quite pricey.

Are there any places to get reasonably priced reasonable quality G9
LEDs?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/20 11:50, Chris Green wrote:
My MIL has bought some light fittings which need a total of 7 G9 LED
bulbs, my first foray to Toolstation and Screwfix tells me they're
expensive!

CPC are better but still quite pricey.

Are there any places to get reasonably priced reasonable quality G9
LEDs?

It doesn't matter, really. G9s were originally halogen bulbs. If you use
a G9 led in a fitting designed for a halogen lamp it will have a short
life as it will overheat, as most of those fittings have nowhere for the
heat produced to escape (even the small amount produces by a 4W led).

I have G9 light fittings (originally halogen-based) in the kitchen, and
have been disappointed with the light level from "equivalent" lumen
leds, and their life. The trouble is, I could get brighter leds with a
higher lumen output, but they'd run hotter and burn out more quickly.
I'm thinking of changing the fittings to GU10.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/03/20 11:50, Chris Green wrote:
My MIL has bought some light fittings which need a total of 7 G9 LED
bulbs, my first foray to Toolstation and Screwfix tells me they're
expensive!

CPC are better but still quite pricey.

Are there any places to get reasonably priced reasonable quality G9
LEDs?

It doesn't matter, really. G9s were originally halogen bulbs. If you use
a G9 led in a fitting designed for a halogen lamp it will have a short
life as it will overheat, as most of those fittings have nowhere for the
heat produced to escape (even the small amount produces by a 4W led).

The light fittings actually specify G9 LED lamps so maybe/hopefully
will get them to run cool enough.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/03/20 11:50, Chris Green wrote:
My MIL has bought some light fittings which need a total of 7 G9 LED
bulbs, my first foray to Toolstation and Screwfix tells me they're
expensive!

CPC are better but still quite pricey.

Are there any places to get reasonably priced reasonable quality G9
LEDs?

It doesn't matter, really. G9s were originally halogen bulbs. If you use
a G9 led in a fitting designed for a halogen lamp it will have a short
life as it will overheat, as most of those fittings have nowhere for the
heat produced to escape (even the small amount produces by a 4W led).

In general, they produce less heat than their halogen equivalent, so
where's the problem? Certainly the one on this desk allows me to touch &
hold the metal shade which I could never do withn the halogen one.

I have G9 light fittings (originally halogen-based) in the kitchen, and
have been disappointed with the light level from "equivalent" lumen
leds, and their life. The trouble is, I could get brighter leds with a
higher lumen output, but they'd run hotter and burn out more quickly.
I'm thinking of changing the fittings to GU10.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2020 14:54, charles wrote:

In general, they produce less heat than their halogen equivalent, so
where's the problem? Certainly the one on this desk allows me to touch &
hold the metal shade which I could never do withn the halogen one.

Because a G9 halogen will tolerate MUCH higher temperatures than a G9 LED.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/20 14:54, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/03/20 11:50, Chris Green wrote:
My MIL has bought some light fittings which need a total of 7 G9 LED
bulbs, my first foray to Toolstation and Screwfix tells me they're
expensive!

CPC are better but still quite pricey.

Are there any places to get reasonably priced reasonable quality G9
LEDs?

It doesn't matter, really. G9s were originally halogen bulbs. If you use
a G9 led in a fitting designed for a halogen lamp it will have a short
life as it will overheat, as most of those fittings have nowhere for the
heat produced to escape (even the small amount produces by a 4W led).

In general, they produce less heat than their halogen equivalent, so
where's the problem? Certainly the one on this desk allows me to touch &
hold the metal shade which I could never do withn the halogen one.

See second bullet point of #4 he
https://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/resources/5-reasons-why-my-led-light-bulbs-arent-lasting/

If the led points up in an open fitting, even made of glass or other
poor heat conductor there shouldn't be a problem, as the heat produced
by the electronic power supply in the base of the lamp can escape.
However, if the bulb is fully enclosed, or points down in an
unventilated holder, the heat produced by the power supply in the base
has nowhere to go. If you feel the base of a 4W led in such a holder
after being on for a few hours, you will find it is on the warm side.

Your metal shade is a good conductor of heat, so any heat produced by
the led dissipates quickly. Try the same thing with a glass shade and
you'll soon see the difference.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

This.

I have foolishly installed four light fittings with G9 LED bulbs. Im fed
up playing the bulb changing game. Seriously thinking about just going back
to halogen or ditching the lights.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

After 3 hours, I can even touch the glass envelope. I agree about
temperature in GU10 fittings, of which I have many.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely if the leds get hotter than a halogen there is something v very wrong
somewhere. Could it be down to the space needed to get the power supply bit
into?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You misunderstand. They dont get hotter than halogens, but theyre a lot
less heat tolerant than halogens. It doesnt taken much to cook the basic
capacitative droppers in the power supplies in these bulbs.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
Surely if the leds get hotter than a halogen there is something v very wrong
somewhere. Could it be down to the space needed to get the power supply bit
into?
Brian

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
Surely if the leds get hotter than a halogen there is something v very wrong
somewhere. Could it be down to the space needed to get the power supply bit
into?
Brian

Tim

Really? electronics will withstand temperatures hot enough to melt
solder, DAMHIKT.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar 2020 16:20:20 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

I have foolishly installed four light fittings with G9 LED bulbs. I’m fed
up playing the bulb changing game. Seriously thinking about just going back
to halogen or ditching the lights.

G9 led bulbs that I got from Ledhut were constantly blowing but the
cheap never-heard-of-brand replacements that I got via Amazon nearly
two years ago have been trouble-free in the same fittings and I've not
had to use any of the spares that I bought just-in-case. THey are
brighter as well.