Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Where to buy G9 LEDs, i.e. reasonable price and quality?

Surely if the leds get hotter than a halogen there is something v very wrong
somewhere. Could it be down to the space needed to get the power supply bit
into?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/03/20 11:50, Chris Green wrote:
My MIL has bought some light fittings which need a total of 7 G9 LED
bulbs, my first foray to Toolstation and Screwfix tells me they're
expensive!

CPC are better but still quite pricey.

Are there any places to get reasonably priced reasonable quality G9
LEDs?

It doesn't matter, really. G9s were originally halogen bulbs. If you use
a G9 led in a fitting designed for a halogen lamp it will have a short
life as it will overheat, as most of those fittings have nowhere for the
heat produced to escape (even the small amount produces by a 4W led).

In general, they produce less heat than their halogen equivalent, so
where's the problem? Certainly the one on this desk allows me to touch &
hold the metal shade which I could never do withn the halogen one.

I have G9 light fittings (originally halogen-based) in the kitchen, and
have been disappointed with the light level from "equivalent" lumen
leds, and their life. The trouble is, I could get brighter leds with a
higher lumen output, but they'd run hotter and burn out more quickly.
I'm thinking of changing the fittings to GU10.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England