Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you buy paraffin at a reasonable price?

I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.

Try a local family owned filling station, the type that fills the car
for you. Our local one does paraffin but I don't know the price. I use
it as a lubricant when machining aluminium and a gallon lasts me years.
You could try scrounging a bit from someone with light oil heating.
That should have minimal duty and only 5% vat on it.

prices here http://www.heatingoilshop.co.uk/price.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:37:16 PM UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:

You could try scrounging a bit from someone with light oil heating.
That should have minimal duty and only 5% vat on it.

Heating oil & paraffin are both 28 second oil.

I dont know if they'd also run on diesel, 35 second oil.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.

You could try your local canalside boatyard. Avoid chandlers,they're
generally worse rip-off merchants than B&Q.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/08/2013 20:54, John Williamson wrote:
Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.

You could try your local canalside boatyard. Avoid chandlers,they're
generally worse rip-off merchants than B&Q.

About 6 years ago I bought a gallon of paraffin and then it was about
the same price as petrol, only source I could find was a local garage
and at the time I thought a bit pricey as it used to be so cheap. I
bought for the same reason as I had some old camping stoves and tilley
lamps and a paraffin iron and I wanted to see them working, all was ok
until I tried firing up a blowlamp ....I panicked thinking it would blow
up and chucked it into the drive and it landed under my wifes car :-)
all ended well though.
I was going to sell them off on ebay but with energy prices going the
way it is I will just hold on to them for now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 19:22, Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.

You can make life easier for youself (although it means paying duty) and
get a lamp where the fuel is easily available. I bought one from a
camping shop many years ago - it looked just like a Tilley lamp, with
hand pump to pre-pressurise, vapouriser and mantle, just the same but it
was designed to run on unleaded petrol.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 21:49, SteveW wrote:
[...]

Ah, just found it. Coleman do them.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:22:47 +0100, Caecilius
wrote:

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.

Anyone with 28sec home heating oil has it in a 1000L tank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:49:18 +0100, SteveW
wrote:
You can make life easier for youself (although it means paying duty) and
get a lamp where the fuel is easily available. I bought one from a
camping shop many years ago - it looked just like a Tilley lamp, with
hand pump to pre-pressurise, vapouriser and mantle, just the same but it
was designed to run on unleaded petrol.

Coleman fuel, aka "white gas" seems to be more common in the US.
That's pretty close to petrol I think, although the idea of using
petrol in a lamp seems scary to me as I've always used paraffin.

Good idea though. It may be easier to get a coleman fuel lamp and use
unleaded. Probably doesn't need so much pre-heating with the meths
burner either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
You can make life easier for youself (although it means paying duty) and
get a lamp where the fuel is easily available. I bought one from a
camping shop many years ago - it looked just like a Tilley lamp, with
hand pump to pre-pressurise, vapouriser and mantle, just the same but it
was designed to run on unleaded petrol.

Coleman fuel, aka "white gas" seems to be more common in the US.
That's pretty close to petrol I think, although the idea of using
petrol in a lamp seems scary to me as I've always used paraffin.

Good idea though. It may be easier to get a coleman fuel lamp and use
unleaded. Probably doesn't need so much pre-heating with the meths
burner either.

Having had a Coleman stove for many years, it is so much more convenient
not to have to deal with two fluids (meths and paraffin).

Unleaded is OK but doesn't, IMHO, burn quite so cleanly. The critical
difference between white gas and petrol, when I first used such a stove,
was that most petrol was leaded. And that was a "BAD THING".

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:49:18 PM UTC+1, SteveW wrote:

get a lamp where the fuel is easily available. I bought one from a
camping shop many years ago - it looked just like a Tilley lamp, with
hand pump to pre-pressurise, vapouriser and mantle, just the same but it
was designed to run on unleaded petrol.

SteveW

pressurised types have an awful safety record ISTR

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It was a BAD THING because you would be breathing the fine lead oxide
particles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 19:22, Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.

It might be worth ringing up these people

http://www.paraffinsuppliers.co.uk/

to see if there is a supplier within easy reach of your location.

--
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 19:22, Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

I use a multi fuel Colman lamp and run it on petrol which I always have for
the mower etc. I do have an old Tilley but don't use it simply because of
the poor availability of paraffin in the UK these days.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2013 08:49, harryagain wrote:
It was a BAD THING because you would be breathing the fine lead oxide
particles.

I felt no need to explain the absolutely obvious to anyone with a couple
of brain cells that are not totally plumbic.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 19:22, Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.

I'm sure if you go to an old Ironmongers they will still sell it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:49:51 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

Unleaded is OK but doesn't, IMHO, burn quite so cleanly. The critical
difference between white gas and petrol, when I first used such a stove,
was that most petrol was leaded. And that was a "BAD THING".

--
Rod

It was a BAD THING because you would be breathing the fine lead oxide
particles.

It was a BAD THING for Coleman stoves and lanterns because the lead
formed whiskers which affected the clean burning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:22:47 PM UTC+1, Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit

nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or

the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they

charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more

than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm

guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there

would be no duty on it.

Could try Rest Express.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:22:47 PM UTC+1, Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit

nostalgic I guess,

There's nothing as evocative as smells IMO, and the smell of a
paraffin heater is quite distinctive.

as I used to have one back in the 70s.

It's probably a bit late now, but in answer to your original question
back there in August, would you consider moving to Japan ? Somewhat
surprisingly maybe, given the amount of wood in their houses
- allegedly - according to Wiki anyway

quote

In some countries, particularly in Japan, they are used as the primary
source of home heat. Most kerosene [paraffin ] heaters produce between
3.3 and 6.8 kW (11000 to 23000 BTU per hour).

/quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene_heater

The high prices being charged nowadays in the UK presumably reflect
low demand and the fact that its simply no longer economical to
maintain an efficient supply chain from manufacturer to retail
customer*. As with a lot of these things, its not the actual
cost of the material that you mainly pay for, but the costs
involved in supplying it to you.

*Saying which, it may be possible to buy it relatively cheaply
by the tank load as maybe supplied to horticultural users.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I know we used tohave greenhouse heaters that ran on it. Its silly, the
main issue with them as heaters in the house was always the water they gave
off and it made all the dirt stick to the paint and go yellow.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Yes I know we used tohave greenhouse heaters that ran on it. Its silly, the main issue
with them as heaters in the house was always the water they gave off and it made all
the dirt stick to the paint and go yellow.
Brian

In those days also a far larger proportion of people smoked than
do now. Which whatever else it did, also imparted a nice warm
tone to the ceilings.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 8:33 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I know we used tohave greenhouse heaters that ran on it. Its silly, the
main issue with them as heaters in the house was always the water they gave
off and it made all the dirt stick to the paint and go yellow.
Brian

One of the main problems, and possibly the reason they disappeared, was
that the fumes, if inhaled for long enough, can cause lipid pneumonia.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. - Mark
Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 August 2013 19:22:47 UTC+1, Caecilius wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tilley lamp to use in the garden. A bit
nostalgic I guess, as I used to have one back in the 70s.

You used to be able to get paraffin easily and cheaply (esso blue or
the pink stuff). But now it seems quite rare. B&Q sell it, but they
charge crazy prices for it: about seven pounds for four litres - more
than derv!

Is it possible to get paraffin in the UK for a reasonable price? I'm
guessing that it should be something like 50 or 60p per litre as there
would be no duty on it.

The more traditional Scout Groups may still use bulk paraffin at Camp, for Tilleys and Primuses. We used to use about a gallon a day, buying five gallons at a time. Consult your local Groups.

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:15:06 AM UTC, Bob Henson wrote:
On 19/02/2014 8:33 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I know we used tohave greenhouse heaters that ran on it. Its silly, the
main issue with them as heaters in the house was always the water they gave
off and it made all the dirt stick to the paint and go yellow.
Brian

One of the main problems, and possibly the reason they disappeared, was
that the fumes, if inhaled for long enough, can cause lipid pneumonia.

Fire risk & bad smell were the usual concerns expressed. There were also question marks about CO - if you didnt keep a frequent eye on the wick, you got CO produced.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paraffin is available on-line in 5 litre cans for about 7 quid or less.
Lamp oil which smells better is about 2-3 times more expensive.

What is the constituent of paraffin that provides the delicate aroma -
the one that seems to permeate the fabric of anywhere that it has been
stored, burned, or even a drop spilled?

Is lamp oil just paraffin without that constituent? Or are the
differences more substantial?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 08:45:20 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Is lamp oil just paraffin without that constituent? Or are the
differences more substantial?

At a guess I'd say lamp oil is desulphurised(*) and a narrower
fraction of paraffin with added "nice perfume" and colourant.

(*) On the basis that sulphur produces some pretty smell compounds.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2014 08:45, polygonum wrote:

Paraffin is available on-line in 5 litre cans for about 7 quid or less.
Lamp oil which smells better is about 2-3 times more expensive.

What is the constituent of paraffin that provides the delicate aroma -
the one that seems to permeate the fabric of anywhere that it has been
stored, burned, or even a drop spilled?

Is lamp oil just paraffin without that constituent? Or are the
differences more substantial?

IIRC they sometimes add perfume to various fuels for enforcement reasons..
I can smell cars and trucks where someone has put red diesel or paraffin
in the tank as they drive past so I am sure the C&E people can too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2014 12:03, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/02/2014 08:45, polygonum wrote:

Is lamp oil just paraffin without that constituent? Or are the
differences more substantial?

IIRC they sometimes add perfume to various fuels for enforcement reasons..
I can smell cars and trucks where someone has put red diesel or paraffin
in the tank as they drive past so I am sure the C&E people can too.

Isn't it a bit dangerous putting fuel in while moving?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2014 21:18, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/02/2014 20:13, polygonum wrote:
On 23/02/2014 12:03, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/02/2014 08:45, polygonum wrote:

Is lamp oil just paraffin without that constituent? Or are the
differences more substantial?

IIRC they sometimes add perfume to various fuels for enforcement
reasons..
I can smell cars and trucks where someone has put red diesel or paraffin
in the tank as they drive past so I am sure the C&E people can too.

Isn't it a bit dangerous putting fuel in while moving?

What are you on?

It was you who wrote that they were put the fuel in as they drive past
your nose, was it not?

--
Rod