Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

I'm provoked to post this after the thread about whether people DIY or
not anymore.
I've been wondering for some time, in particular WRT my own kids (both
men now in their 20s) if their lives have been so much easier that
necessity has *not* bred any variant of invention.
They are so needy and incapable that I had occasionally wondered if they
were on some spectrum or other but I speak to other people my age and it
sounds par.

I've a tome of anecdotes but i'll stick to a couple.

We had* 2 bagless vacuum cleaners at work (me, son, apprentice), one
upstairs, one down. I noted one day that both were downstairs, so I
asked why. The response was that one of them wasn't sucking.
Later I noted that neither had been used in a while, the place was
untidy, apparently now neither were sucking.
So I went off one one about how i'm not the ####ing caretaker, vacuum
cleaners aren't ####ing rocket science and demanded they check for
blockages and if necessary clean the filters.
Neither knew that vacuum cleaners had filters (why would they) so on my
instruction the apprentice washed the filters and put them back in.
He put them in WET and proceeded to use it.

*One has since died, hardly surprising.

Recently, a machine at work is leaking polish on the floor.
I'm ignoring the problem to see what the son will do about it.
Then I prompt.. "why is it leaking", "where is it leaking from" etc. and
finally have to intervene when the best he can come up is to mop up the
leakage from the floor with a face like an injured puppy.
(It's about 30 quid per gallon)

This isn't merely a rant, i'm genuinely fearful for the future.