Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Did we somehow ruin the next generation?

On Monday, 2 March 2020 19:04:56 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

I'd say cars are too complex to do much of that any more. I used to

not a bit

tinker with my Mini 50 years ago and mostly made a mess of it, so I
gave up. Can you even buy workshop manuals for today's cars?

yes

Don't you
need a computer to check everything? The garage will have one but
would the right kit be available to an end-user?

OBDII readers are cheap

It suits many to think they need a computer to work on a car these days.
So are happy to pay a garage to fit new brakes etc that if anything is
easier than years ago.

Cars have gotten a lot faster to assemble, making them cheaper to buy & quicker to service/repair in many respects - not all. Even with engine stuff when it needs OBDII reading, having an almost diagnosis as easy as plugging something in really helps.

NT