Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best rig-up to charge batteries from solar?

Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time. What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches? I won't need to charge more
than six AAs or four Ds at a time, but a bit of redundancy wouldn't go
amiss so that I can help out my elderly neighbours. Most important is the
radio.

Some kind of simple setup, say with a single panel producing 12V connected
to a 12V battery charger if they exist would be preferred, but I am open to
all recommendations!

Thanks in advance,

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harold Davis" wrote in message
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time. What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches? I won't need to charge
more
than six AAs or four Ds at a time, but a bit of redundancy wouldn't go
amiss so that I can help out my elderly neighbours. Most important is the
radio.

Some kind of simple setup, say with a single panel producing 12V connected
to a 12V battery charger if they exist would be preferred, but I am open
all recommendations!

Plenty buyable, intended for use when camping and on caravans and RVs etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time.

Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect power
stations.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 March 2020 05:28:45 UTC, williamwright wrote:
On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time.

Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect power
stations.

Bill

And no-one who is important with regard to power generation and supply will be affected?

Few enough of the port staff, gas terminal handlers, power station staff, National Grid staff, etc., will be either ill, in isolation, or looking after their immediate families, to affect our electricity?

Certainly we can hope that is the case, for many reasons, but I wouldn't assume that the supply will not be interrupted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/03/2020 08:07, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 1 March 2020 05:28:45 UTC, williamwright wrote:
On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time.

Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect power
stations.

Bill

And no-one who is important with regard to power generation and supply will be affected?

Few enough of the port staff, gas terminal handlers, power station staff, National Grid staff, etc., will be either ill, in isolation, or looking after their immediate families, to affect our electricity?

Certainly we can hope that is the case, for many reasons, but I wouldn't assume that the supply will not be interrupted.

The "work from home" suggestion that has been in the news is not going
to help me.

I wonder how many people I could infect. Last week I worked in 2
factories, 2 hospitals, 1 school, 1 pub, 1 beauty salon and 3 offices.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 March 2020 01:37:17 UTC, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time. What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches? I won't need to charge more
than six AAs or four Ds at a time, but a bit of redundancy wouldn't go
amiss so that I can help out my elderly neighbours. Most important is the
radio.

Some kind of simple setup, say with a single panel producing 12V connected
to a 12V battery charger if they exist would be preferred, but I am open to
all recommendations!

Thanks in advance,

Drivel post. You can buy solar powered battery chargers.

The most vulnerable thing is freezers/fridges.
You want a small petrol generator to run for a couple of hours each day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 March 2020 08:43:34 UTC, ARW wrote:
[...]

More chance of you catching something. Especially in the hospitals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Sunday, 1 March 2020 05:28:45 UTC, williamwright wrote:
On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a
long
time.

Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect power
stations.

And no-one who is important with regard to power generation and supply
will be affected?

Few enough of the port staff, gas terminal handlers,
power station staff, National Grid staff, etc., will be
either ill, in isolation, or looking after their immediate
families, to affect our electricity?

Nope its all remote controlled now so they can do it
from their isolation.

Certainly we can hope that is the case, for
many reasons, but I wouldn't assume that
the supply will not be interrupted.

More fool you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2020 08:07, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 1 March 2020 05:28:45 UTC, williamwright wrote:
On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for
a long time.

Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect
power stations.

Bill

And no-one who is important with regard to power generation and
supply will be affected?

Few enough of the port staff, gas terminal handlers, power station
staff, National Grid staff, etc., will be either ill, in isolation,
or looking after their immediate families, to affect our
electricity?

yes.

At worst 10%. And if Xmas is anything to go by that would knock the grid
power consumption back by 20% anyway

Certainly we can hope that is the case, for many reasons, but I
wouldn't assume that the supply will not be interrupted.

Far more likely to be interrupted buy a period of windy and sunny weather.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

So you get to die. Byeee...

I wonder how many people I could infect. Last week I worked in 2
factories, 2 hospitals, 1 school, 1 pub, 1 beauty salon and 3 offices.

That's why you will be chained to the wall at home with
all the angle grinders confiscated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time. What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches? I won't need to charge more
than six AAs or four Ds at a time, but a bit of redundancy wouldn't go
amiss so that I can help out my elderly neighbours. Most important is the
radio.

Some kind of simple setup, say with a single panel producing 12V connected
to a 12V battery charger if they exist would be preferred, but I am open to
all recommendations!

buy diesel and run your car
far more reliable

Thanks in advance,

Harry

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, specially during the train trip to north korea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed, far more likely that supplies in the shops will be affected at
this time I imagine.
However, I'm very suppressed that nobody produces a pedal powered efficient
cheap battery charger, since we are all told to take more exercise and most
are not interested in the stats, just the use of energy to keep up our
fitness. I've come across some batteries in a box that have pedals that look
like they may last a few months, but little else.

After all Solar in this country at this time of year is not exactly amazing,
better off with wind power.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time.

Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect power
stations.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 19:56:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

More chance of you catching something.

Yeah, specially during the train trip to north korea.

Trying to be "humorous" again, you clinically insane 86-year-old senile
asshole? tsk

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time. What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches?

If "the mains electricity goes off for a long time" you're not going
to be worried about charging your radio, music player, electric
toothbrush, and torches (though torches might be handy I guess).

--
Chris Green
·ther
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 19:52:30 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senie asshole's troll****

....nothing's left!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 19:50:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

More sociopathic bull**** from the 86-year-old resident sociopath! tsk

Certainly we can hope that is the case, for
many reasons, but I wouldn't assume that
the supply will not be interrupted.

More fool you.

This coming from the quarrelsome senile fool who gets up EVERY NIGHT between
00:00 and 04:00 in Australia, just so he has someone to pester on Usenet
with his obnoxious senile presence!

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time. What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches? I won't need to charge more
than six AAs or four Ds at a time, but a bit of redundancy wouldn't go
amiss so that I can help out my elderly neighbours. Most important is the
radio.

Some kind of simple setup, say with a single panel producing 12V connected
to a 12V battery charger if they exist would be preferred, but I am open to
all recommendations!

For charging a 12 volt (or maybe 24v or 36v) battery look for an MPPT
charger to run from the solar panel[s]. This maximises the output from
the solar panels by optimising the load it applies and also makes the
conversion down from the (approx.) 30 volts to what's needed to charge
a 12v battery as efficient as possible.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time. What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches? I won't need to charge more
than six AAs or four Ds at a time, but a bit of redundancy wouldn't go
amiss so that I can help out my elderly neighbours. Most important is the
radio.

If you need to ask you should be buying something from Amazon that says
it is a solar powered battery charger together with a couple of mirrors
to double its current output. Spare fuel for the car might be more use.
(and a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket)

Some kind of simple setup, say with a single panel producing 12V connected
to a 12V battery charger if they exist would be preferred, but I am open to
all recommendations!

The simplest thing that will work is a PV panel, a Schottky diode and
series resistor to limit the current into the smaller batteries. I doubt
that the peak current a modest sized solar panel can produce would ever
incovenience a rechargeable D-cell. Personally I am more worried about
the freezer than anything else. I have my own generator.

I have a solar panel to keep the battery of the runabout car topped up.
It works well in summer but every now and then lets me down in winter.

Sun in the UK doesn't really get high enough and too many clouds!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 March 2020 01:37:17 UTC, Harold Davis wrote:

What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches?

Some kind of simple setup, say with a single panel producing 12V connected
to a 12V battery charger if they exist would be preferred,

So which do you want, the best or something simple?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 March 2020 08:43:34 UTC, ARW wrote:

The "work from home" suggestion that has been in the news is not going
to help me.

I wonder how many people I could infect. Last week I worked in 2
factories, 2 hospitals, 1 school, 1 pub, 1 beauty salon and 3 offices.

That last line reminds me of Tom Lehrer:

Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a pure-bred Guernsey cow.

But the first bit - surely I Got It From Agnes?

I love my friends, and they love me,
We're just as close as we can be.
And just because we really care,
Whatever we get, we share!

I got it from Agnes,
She got it from Jim.
We all agree it must have been
Louise who gave it to him.

She got it from Harry,
Who got it from Marie,
And everybody knows that Marie
Got it from me.

Giles got it from Daphne,
She got it from Joan,
Who picked it up in County Cork,
A-kissin' the Blarney Stone.

Pierre gave it to Sheila,
Who must have brought it there.
He got it from Francois and Jacques,
Haha, Lucky Pierre!

Max got it from Edith,
Who gets it every spring.
She got it from her Daddy,
Who just gives her everything.

She then gave it to Daniel,
Whose spaniel has it now.
Our dentist even got it,
And we're still wondering how.

Ah, but I got it from Agnes,
Or maybe it was Sue,
Or Millie or Billie or Gillie or Willie,
It doesn't matter who.

It might have been at the club,
Or at the pub, or in the loo,
And if you will be my friend,
Then I might...(Mind you, I said "might")...
Give it to you!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/03/2020 08:47, harry wrote:
[...]

One of the hospitals I was working in was just in the 136 suite.
It's always fun working there.

I have the pleasure of working in Monster Mansion in the morning.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
For charging a 12 volt (or maybe 24v or 36v) battery look for an MPPT
charger to run from the solar panel[s]. This maximises the output from
the solar panels by optimising the load it applies and also makes the
conversion down from the (approx.) 30 volts to what's needed to charge
a 12v battery as efficient as possible.

What kind of solar are we talking about? A small panel, or a roof array?

For a small panel a MPPT can be used to charge a 12V battery (for example
lead acid) so you have a constant supply, and then you can run regular 12V
accessories off it - for example many AA battery chargers come with a 12V
power brick.

You can also get MPPTs that directly charge lithium ion, but it seems NiMH
isn't a common output.

You may be able to run a 12V NiMH charger directly from the MPPT without a
lead acid buffer, but the NiMH charger probably won't like it's power coming
and going (it'll forget how much charge it's just put in for example).

Search ebay for 'MPPT' for some examples (noting that you might not want to
order the ones shipping from China at this point)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought.

?

Coronavirus is the new Brexit!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote in news:hc0vgaFrb7U1
@mid.individual.net:

On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time.

Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect power
stations.

Who do you think operates power stations, petrol stations where maintenance
technicians fill their tanks, and so on? You know the economy is
interconnected and operated by human beings?

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

:

On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time.

Apparently the virus is purely biological and does not infect power
stations.

Who do you think operates power stations, petrol stations where maintenance
technicians fill their tanks, and so on? You know the economy is
interconnected and operated by human beings?

Mates Mum works at a container shipping place in Auz. They are
currently backed up with empty containers that should be on their way
back to China, hopefully to come back filled with bog roll.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2020 13:34, ARW wrote:
136 suite

It must be absolutely dreadful to be severely mentally ill.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an old Dawes Horizon bike in the garage with the bottle
generator that runs on the side of thr rear tyre.

All you need is one of those cycle trainers where the
rear tyre runs on rollers and bobs your uncle.

Lose weight and charge your batteries at the same time.

Andrew

Yes indeed, far more likely that supplies in the shops will be affected at
this time I imagine.
However, I'm very suppressed that nobody produces a pedal powered efficient
cheap battery charger, since we are all told to take more exercise and most
are not interested in the stats, just the use of energy to keep up our
fitness. I've come across some batteries in a box that have pedals that look
like they may last a few months, but little else.

After all Solar in this country at this time of year is not exactly amazing,
better off with wind power.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2020 01:37, Harold Davis wrote:
Coronavirus advice sought. Say the mains electricity goes off for a long
time. What is the best solar rig-up for charging batteries for my radio,
music player, electric toothbrush, and torches? I won't need to charge
more
than six AAs or four Ds at a time, but a bit of redundancy wouldn't go
amiss so that I can help out my elderly neighbours. Most important is the
radio.

Some kind of simple setup, say with a single panel producing 12V
connected
to a 12V battery charger if they exist would be preferred, but I am
open to
all recommendations!

buy diesel and run your car
far more reliable

Buy red diesel and get an old MF 35 with a genny
on the 3-point linkage. Farming relatives had one
to keep the milking parlour and bulk tank going if
the power went off.