Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silent wall switches

Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.retrotouch.co.uk/touch-light-switches.html

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote:
https://www.retrotouch.co.uk/touch-light-switches.html

There are those, but I'm looking for a family of regular mechanical switches
(and mains sockets, etc), not active ones. Definitely not IoT :-)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 11:13, nightjar wrote:
On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed.Â* Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are
quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

https://www.retrotouch.co.uk/touch-light-switches.html

If retrofitting note needs (a) neutral and (b) 35mm back box.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Some I have tried where I am, are quiet if I operate them slowly.

You could visit various shops and try out what they are selling.

--
MAC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 February 2020 10:37:00 UTC, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Theo

I find it is the pull-cord bathroom light switches that are the most annoying by far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

GET/Schneider Ultimate from TLC:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GU1011.html

Not silent but far less clacky than say MK...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

I'd say you're right. Remember some damn near silent ones in the 60s.
Advertised as such. Not very pretty though.

I have touch dimmers that really are silent. Apart from the buzz, of
course. ;-)

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 February 2020 14:00:29 UTC, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 28 February 2020 10:37:00 UTC, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Theo

I find it is the pull-cord bathroom light switches that are the most annoying by far.

Which is why in our recent refurbishment we put ordinary light switches on the wall outside of bathrooms.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 14:10:38 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

GET/Schneider Ultimate from TLC:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GU1011.html

Not silent but far less clacky than say MK...

Apart from the 'clack' I find it annoying that the action isn't associated
with the electrical breaking. My modernish pull switches all break the
supply on a gentle pull /then/ clack. Same on make: pull, release slowly,
clack (again), make. Does nothing to avoid arcing.
The one 'old' switch does it properly, The old toggle light switches only
slid the contacts but at least had a snap-over action.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

I have touch dimmers that really are silent. Apart from the buzz, of
course.

I have a couple of ikea zigbee lamps, both are silent when on (even at
dimmest setting) but have a *just* audible SMPSU whine when they are
off, tempted to try potting one with resin, or giving it a 1/4W load to
shut it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Theo

Banggood have a nice range of retro stop valve switches. i believe these
are very quiet in operation and look unusual.

https://www.banggood.com/buy/vintage-knife-switch.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

It could be what they are installed in - plastered solid brickwork or
plasterboard stud wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Theo

I changed all the white 'contract' light switches originally
fitted in 1976 for MK logic switches. Much quieter, with
a nice rocker action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Theo

The Hamilton range.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 February 2020 16:54:08 UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:

Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Theo

Banggood have a nice range of retro stop valve switches. i believe these
are very quiet in operation and look unusual.

https://www.banggood.com/buy/vintage-knife-switch.html

You could get an old Rolls switch, run it off a 6v wallwart & use it to operate a mains relay. Style & silence.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

It could be what they are installed in - plastered solid brickwork or
plasterboard stud wall.

The wall can amplify or channel the sound, but the sound comes from the
switch itself. If you push it slowly you can feel the snap through your
fingers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A visit to CEF provided an MK Logic -
better, but still with an audible snap. I shall try some of the others.

(MK lose points for having a big embossed 'MK' logo on them between the pins
- I'm not sure why they need to advertise on the front at all)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo
wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be
because they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more
sprung and less snappy.

It could be what they are installed in - plastered solid brickwork or
plasterboard stud wall.

The wall can amplify or channel the sound, but the sound comes from the
switch itself. If you push it slowly you can feel the snap through your
fingers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A visit to CEF provided an MK Logic
- better, but still with an audible snap. I shall try some of the others.

(MK lose points for having a big embossed 'MK' logo on them between the
pins - I'm not sure why they need to advertise on the front at all)

'cos they're now American owned.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/02/2020 16:21, Theo wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

It could be what they are installed in - plastered solid brickwork or
plasterboard stud wall.

The wall can amplify or channel the sound, but the sound comes from the
switch itself. If you push it slowly you can feel the snap through your
fingers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A visit to CEF provided an MK Logic -
better, but still with an audible snap. I shall try some of the others.

(MK lose points for having a big embossed 'MK' logo on them between the pins
- I'm not sure why they need to advertise on the front at all)

Theo

The ones I bought about 7 years don't have any logos ?.

Mechanical switches will always have a bit of a 'snap'
to stop you closing them intentionally slowly and creating
an arc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/02/2020 20:47, Andrew wrote:
On 29/02/2020 16:21, Theo wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be
because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

It could be what they are installed in - plastered solid brickwork or
plasterboard stud wall.

The wall can amplify or channel the sound, but the sound comes from the
switch itself.Â* If you push it slowly you can feel the snap through your
fingers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.Â* A visit to CEF provided an MK
Logic -
better, but still with an audible snap.Â* I shall try some of the others.

(MK lose points for having a big embossed 'MK' logo on them between
the pins
- I'm not sure why they need to advertise on the front at all)

Theo

The ones I bought about 7 years don't have any logos ?.

Mechanical switches will always have a bit of a 'snap'
to stop you closing them intentionally slowly and creating
an arc.

hysteresis is a valuable quality in switching.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 28 February 2020 10:37:00 UTC, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Theo

I find it is the pull-cord bathroom light switches that are the most
annoying by far.

Think it would be more difficult to make a silent version due to the
weight etc of the pull cord. And that it has to be pretty strong.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 28 February 2020 10:37:00 UTC, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are
quieter or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be
because they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more
sprung and less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner
by pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks Theo

I find it is the pull-cord bathroom light switches that are the most
annoying by far.

Think it would be more difficult to make a silent version due to the
weight etc of the pull cord. And that it has to be pretty strong.

My old 1970s one is fine, the modern one is noisy.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed.Â* Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are
quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be
because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

https://www.retrotouch.co.uk/touch-light-switches.html

If retrofitting note needs (a) neutral and (b) 35mm back box.

Many of the 'smart' light switches (which generally also have an over
ride button) need a neutral and aren't compatible with most UK switch
arrangements but there are a few which have small (typically a coin
cell) battery to power the electronics. You need to look at the more
specialist retailers to find them. I've no idea of the battery (cell) life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
[...]

The best of them have no battery or wires at all and can
be moved around very easily. Usually labelled kinetic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:57 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 02:57:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

02:57, again, you exceptional idiot? LOL

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Small surface mount switches, maybe architrave switches? [email protected] UK diy 24 May 22nd 11 08:32 PM
Do Silent Or Nearly Silent Air Compressors Exist For the Home Shop? John Woodworking 28 December 14th 05 12:18 AM
Silent Cistern Valves john UK diy 14 February 16th 04 11:18 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
silent pull cord switches FirstTimer UK diy 13 December 8th 03 04:38 PM