Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Silent wall switches

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 28 February 2020 10:37:00 UTC, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are
quieter or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be
because they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more
sprung and less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner
by pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks Theo

I find it is the pull-cord bathroom light switches that are the most
annoying by far.

Think it would be more difficult to make a silent version due to the
weight etc of the pull cord. And that it has to be pretty strong.

My old 1970s one is fine, the modern one is noisy.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England