Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Default Do Silent Or Nearly Silent Air Compressors Exist For the Home Shop?

One thing that has always bugged me about air compressors is that
they're noisy as hell. (At least the big Sears kind, which is what we
have at work.) That's why I've never bought one for my home workshop.

Yet when you visit the automobile service station you never hear the
damn things, just the whizz of the impact wrench. I'm going to ask the
local mechanic on my next visit but I think I already know the answer:
it's outside and it's an industrial unit. Translation: overkill and too
expensive for the home shop. Correct?

So is there anything that's truly silent or very nearly so for the home
shop? I'd really like enough CFM to drive a small sand blaster with it
but not if the compressor is going to have SWMBO and her minions running
me of the reservation as my workstop is in "my" half of the two car
garage, directly below the living space.

Suggestions or recommendations?

J.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"John" wrote in message
One thing that has always bugged me about air compressors is that they're
noisy as hell. (At least the big Sears kind, which is what we have at
work.) That's why I've never bought one for my home workshop.

I just bought the little Senco. They claim 65db and that sounds about
right.
Okay, it has very little capacity, which is why it is so quiet; but you
can't have everything.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eddie Munster

I ahve seen that little guy. It isn't an oil less compressor, and it is
very quiet. I am toying with one for my shop. It just seems to purr.

John

Toller wrote:

"John" wrote in message

One thing that has always bugged me about air compressors is that they're
noisy as hell. (At least the big Sears kind, which is what we have at
work.) That's why I've never bought one for my home workshop.

I just bought the little Senco. They claim 65db and that sounds about
right.
Okay, it has very little capacity, which is why it is so quiet; but you
can't have everything.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:53:58 -0500, John wrote:

So is there anything that's truly silent or very nearly so for the home
shop? I'd really like enough CFM to drive a small sand blaster with it
but not if the compressor is going to have SWMBO and her minions running
me of the reservation as my workstop is in "my" half of the two car
garage, directly below the living space.

We have a FINI brand small compressor that we carry for back-up work.
It's a model that requires oil and looks amazingly like the small
Senco pc1005 model. It's very quiet compared to the small Porter
Cable pancake type models or a larger Emglo that we use on the job.
It won't handle more than two guns at a time though and I'm not sure
if it could handle the sandblaster.
If you needed a larger model, could you just put it outside and run
the hose into the garage?

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
John

I have considered rolling a Sears beast outside and putting it inside a
padded, insulated box. I just don't know where I'd store the box when
it's not in use... :-)

J.

Mike O. wrote:

If you needed a larger model, could you just put it outside and run
the hose into the garage?

Posted to rec.woodworking
BillyBob

"Toller" wrote in message

I just bought the little Senco. They claim 65db and that sounds about
right.

I have one too. Its great for brad guns. But its a pea shooter in capacity.
Forget trying to use it for anything but a brad gun or pneumatic stapler.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Battleax

"John" wrote in message
news
I have considered rolling a Sears beast outside and putting it inside a
padded, insulated box. I just don't know where I'd store the box when
it's not in use... :-)

J.

You want a compressor that has the seprate motor with belt drive single or
twin piston compressor. These are quiter. Service stations usually have them
in a storage room.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

You are quite right about location. I work in a machine shop. Our air
compressors are outside. It has two advantages. It eliminates having to
listen to it and it's better for the compressor due to better airflow. It's
not at all unresonable to do that at home. Couple of holes in the wall, a
litttle pipe and a little wiring.

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Daniel H

there are some previous postings on compressors made by "Jun Air",
e.g.,
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...714d4a6ee90f66

Posted to rec.woodworking
max

I have a June air or maybe Junair compressor and I can't really hear it at
all. It will run a nail gun but I don't use bigger tools. It is very quiet.
I understand they are very expensive. This one was a gift from my boss.
max

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"BillyBob" wrote in message
news

"Toller" wrote in message

I just bought the little Senco. They claim 65db and that sounds about
right.

I have one too. Its great for brad guns. But its a pea shooter in
capacity.
Forget trying to use it for anything but a brad gun or pneumatic stapler.

I also have a 4 gallon tank. Could I hook it up to the tank to use with
something bigger? I understand it will take several minutes to refill the
tank, so the rate of use will be pretty feeble, but any reason it wouldn't
work?

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:14:55 GMT, "CW" wrote:

You are quite right about location. I work in a machine shop. Our air
compressors are outside. It has two advantages. It eliminates having to
listen to it and it's better for the compressor due to better airflow. It's
not at all unresonable to do that at home. Couple of holes in the wall, a
litttle pipe and a little wiring.

and then hope your neighbors don't add some little holes in the wall.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Put in a vented shed, you'll hardly hear it at twenty five feet. If your
neighbors are closer than that, you're living in the wrong place.

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:14:55 GMT, "CW" wrote:

You are quite right about location. I work in a machine shop. Our air
compressors are outside. It has two advantages. It eliminates having to
listen to it and it's better for the compressor due to better airflow.

It's
not at all unresonable to do that at home. Couple of holes in the wall, a
litttle pipe and a little wiring.

and then hope your neighbors don't add some little holes in the wall.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Truitt

Default Do Silent Or Nearly Silent Air Compressors Exist For the HomeS...

I rented a Dewalt electric wheelbarrel type that was so quiet you could
stand next to it and have a conversation at normal volume. Great
technology as it runs up to 3 nailers(per the rental yard). It was an
oil type and pretty heavy.

Down side: around $700. I recently bought a Job Boss by PC and since it
was an oil type was hoping for quiet... no dice. It is LOUD!

RonT

Posted to rec.woodworking
Carl Stigers

John, Champion makes a 5 hp unit that is relatively quiet for the size. The
commandair series. I worked for a local distributor and God service center
for them. You can find out the distributor in your area. They were about
1800.00 but are oil lubed, repairable and easy maintenance for them. I am
looking at an Atlas Copco rotary screw for my shop in the future. They are
quiet and have a built in air dryer but run about 3500.00. The GX-5 is the
unit I am looking at.

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eddie Munster

What model did you buy?? Looking at their website there seems to be a
couple.

http://www.senco.com/con_rem/prod_finder.aspx

Toller wrote:
"John" wrote in message

One thing that has always bugged me about air compressors is that they're
noisy as hell. (At least the big Sears kind, which is what we have at
work.) That's why I've never bought one for my home workshop.

I just bought the little Senco. They claim 65db and that sounds about
right.
Okay, it has very little capacity, which is why it is so quiet; but you
can't have everything.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BillyBob

"Toller" wrote in message
news

I have one too. Its great for brad guns. But its a pea shooter in
capacity.
Forget trying to use it for anything but a brad gun or pneumatic

stapler.

I also have a 4 gallon tank. Could I hook it up to the tank to use with
something bigger? I understand it will take several minutes to refill the
tank, so the rate of use will be pretty feeble, but any reason it wouldn't
work?

A 4 gallon tank is pretty small. I don't think it would be useful for
anything except a few pops with a nail gun. Forget it for tools that
require continuous air.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

John wrote:
One thing that has always bugged me about air compressors is that
they're noisy as hell. (At least the big Sears kind, which is what we
have at work.) That's why I've never bought one for my home workshop.

snip

I have a 50 litre direct drive. I house it under a bench in the shed.
I have made a cabinet to surround it with the doors and two ends
panelled with 6mm peg board. The machine sits on 12mm insertion rubber
on a concrete floor. When in the shed it is relatively quiet and from
the outside you can hardly hear it.
It is quite noisy when in the open.
hope this helps
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

John wrote:
One thing that has always bugged me about air compressors is that
they're noisy as hell. (At least the big Sears kind, which is what we
have at work.) That's why I've never bought one for my home workshop.

I just bought a slightly used 5 hp belt driven double piston compressor
for $150. It just chugs away quietly. Not silent, but not noisy. The
first key is to avoid the direct drive types. I have had two, an
oil-less and one that uses oil. Both make a racket and can scare the
bejesus out of you if you are standing nearby when it starts up.
Mine has a handle and wheels, but that is rather optimistic since it
requires a 220 v. outlet.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I'm Not Schizophrenic, And Neither Am I.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Eddie Munster" wrote in message
What model did you buy?? Looking at their website there seems to be a
couple.

http://www.senco.com/con_rem/prod_finder.aspx

I bought the PC1010. It was about $100 from a dealer on Ebay.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey, I have the "affordable" Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake. My ears
bleed when it fires up. I also have a 12 year old 25 gallon sears unit
in my shop. Likewise, my ears bleed when it fires up. The fact is, just
about any belt driven compressor that you have to oil is going to run
quieter. That said, ask yourself the question. Am I going to buy the
filters to keep the oil out of my spray gun? A small laquer job is not
worth breaking out the hvlp unit. Unless there is a chance of oil
getting in the gun and mixing ,or not mixing well at all, on my
beautifully crafted, expensive hardwood project. I am of the opinion
that compressors that you have to oil, are more at home in the
mechanics shop than the woodworker's shop.

Tom in KY, thinking about putting my compressor under the counter and
see if that helps keep the blood off of my collar. My wife thanks you
John B. and I do too.

Posted to rec.woodworking
THOMAS CLEVELAND

As you stated, that you want to run a sand blaster, and tat requires a
fair amount of "cfm"-cubic feet/minute, which means a large compressor.
I am a field service tech for Atlas Copco air compressors, capacity
and quietness generally (in less expensive air compressors) do not go
together, if price is important than a exterior location with sound
deadening material is the answer, however if you have the money or that,
and can afford to put some more with it then I would suggest looking
into a Atlas Copco oil free scroll (SF2) compressor, as I have serviced
many located in quiet work areas in a lab at "Shrinners Hospital in
Boston MA", at many "Lens Crafters" locations.
I'm not sure of there cost, I would guess around 4 to 5 thousand, they
are available in single phase (220-230) volts as well as the
commercially normal 3 phase (208/230-460) volt.
Expensive but very quiet, just about as big as a dormitory
refrigerator and not as loud as a pain shaker.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin Craig

In article , John
wrote:

One thing that has always bugged me about air compressors is that
they're noisy as hell. (At least the big Sears kind, which is what we
have at work.)

So far, nobody has answered the real question: "Sears kind", versus
reasonably quiet.

The "Sears kind" are invariably "oil-free" or "oilless" compressors.
Instead of a piston in a cylinder, lubed by oil, they have a diaphragm
vibrating rapidly back and forth, with a *braaaaaaaaa* sound guaranteed
to make grown men cry.

Get an oil-type. Even if you have to get Harbor Freight. Get cast iron
requiring a top-off with 30W. Your neighbors (and your eardrums) will
thank you.

Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

The scroll compressors used in refrigerators are pretty quiet,
but don't generate a lot of volume or pressure.

John wrote:
One thing that has always bugged me about air compressors is that
they're noisy as hell. (At least the big Sears kind, which is what we
have at work.) That's why I've never bought one for my home workshop.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

Mike Berger writes:

The scroll compressors used in refrigerators are pretty quiet,
but don't generate a lot of volume or pressure.

You get them in bigger versions, a quick google turned up one with an
air output of 440cfm at 10bar (144PSI). At 72dB it's not too quiet,
and the 75kW electrical power may be quite a load to our installation,
and at 1.8 tons it's not luggable...

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

Mike Berger writes:

The scroll compressors used in refrigerators are pretty quiet,
but don't generate a lot of volume or pressure.

[Blubber] I confused scroll with screw compressor. Disregard.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Jun-Air makes some small "really quiet" air compressors. They are about as
noisy as a frost free refrigerator and really quite amazing, but their price
is a bit more (150%) than a typical pancake compressor.

I have one (4 cfm @ 60 psi pancake style) that I use when I'm doing power
carving in my hotel room or doing demonstration carving at shows. The first
time that I turned mine on I was in a cabinet shop environment, but off in a
relatively quiet corner area away from the mainstream work. The light came
on when I plugged it in, but I thought it was broken because I didn't hear
it running. Then I realized that air was coming out of the valve. Careful
inspection, and putting my ear against the compressor, proved me wrong. The
small air pulse released from the unloader when it is shutting off is even
louder than the compressor running noise.

I once used it with a Porter Cable brad nailer to do a job in an area where
excessive noise was prohibited, and it did just fine. It'll build pressure
to about 120 psi before it shuts off, so light nail gun use with it is
possible. If I had originally intended to use it for nail guns I would have
bought a larger one though. I had originally intended to use it only for
power carving and it's perfect for that.

DAGS on Jun-Air air compressors

--
Charley

"The Visitor" wrote in message
These aren't really for spraying. Can't you put the compressor outsicde
close to your neighbour's house. That's what I am planning.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
I like To Please

I have a new 5 hp Curtis that has a China made compressor that I DO NOT
RECOMMEND. It is a quiet machine, I t has plenty of power, but the
compressor was replaced on warranty as it had a lot of blow by, and
would actually fog up my garage.
The new one does not have as much blow by , but has fluid leaks !!
Since it's Chinese maybe it would like Soy Sauce instead of compressor