rich brenz

Default Recommendations for home shop metal lathe

I'm not an experienced machinist.(But I learn quickly!)
I'd appreciate input a good lathe for home DIY'ers like me.
I'd like to be able to turn aluminum,brass,mild steel and 3-4 inch
maximum diameters. I want to be able to make threaded adapters for
telescope equipment(standard and metric). I'd appreciate input
tools and add-ons that would be useful. I've been to the library and
researched the topic already, so please don't refer me there. I'd like
the advise of others who actually USE(and not just write books about...)
metal lathes. Oh yeah, this lathe will be in my basement and has to fit
through a standard doorway without major disassembly. Price estimates
would help. Thanks.

Rich Brenz
Charles A. Sherwood

Oh yeah, this lathe will be in my basement and has to fit
through a standard doorway without major disassembly. Price estimates
would help. Thanks.

It is possible to move pretty big lathes to the basement if you are
willing to take the machine apart and reassemble it. We have done this
with 12 inch clausings and 11 inch rockwells. Both of these machines
are nice metal lathes in the 1000 lb range. There is a wonderful
web site at www.lathes.co.uk if you want to see what they look like.

If you insite on small enough to hand carry, I have a nice Myford
super 7 this is going on ebay soon.

chuck
Gunner

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:55:54 -0500, rich brenz
wrote:

I'm not an experienced machinist.(But I learn quickly!)
I'd appreciate input a good lathe for home DIY'ers like me.
I'd like to be able to turn aluminum,brass,mild steel and 3-4 inch
maximum diameters. I want to be able to make threaded adapters for
telescope equipment(standard and metric). I'd appreciate input
tools and add-ons that would be useful. I've been to the library and
researched the topic already, so please don't refer me there. I'd like
the advise of others who actually USE(and not just write books about...)
metal lathes. Oh yeah, this lathe will be in my basement and has to fit
through a standard doorway without major disassembly. Price estimates
would help. Thanks.

Rich Brenz

For good old American Iron, its hard to beat a clean Logan 11" lathe
for this sort of work. 5c collet, big enough to actually do work,
parts are available. can be broken down easily for a single person to
move, etc etc.

and they are readily available.

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael
Pete & sheri

I have seen telescopes bigger than 3 to 4 inches in diameter.
The second project that comes along after you get the lathe is always
a little bigger than you lathe anyway! Get the biggest lathe that you
can possible get through the door. Even if it means hiring riggers to
get it down there. You only have to go through that process once.
More weight generally means more stability. If you get a light duty
lathe, everything is "springier" and it is harder to take accurate cuts
without cussing.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

rich brenz wrote:

I'm not an experienced machinist.(But I learn quickly!)
I'd appreciate input a good lathe for home DIY'ers like me.
I'd like to be able to turn aluminum,brass,mild steel and 3-4 inch
maximum diameters. I want to be able to make threaded adapters for
telescope equipment(standard and metric). I'd appreciate input
tools and add-ons that would be useful. I've been to the library and
researched the topic already, so please don't refer me there. I'd like
the advise of others who actually USE(and not just write books about...)
metal lathes. Oh yeah, this lathe will be in my basement and has to fit
through a standard doorway without major disassembly. Price estimates
would help. Thanks.

Rich Brenz

lathe - metal or wood? Rich Andrews Woodworking 8 March 29th 21 08:43 PM
Buying my first metal working lathe J. Mark Wolf Metalworking 13 December 30th 04 02:50 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
FS: Metal Lathe in Houston, Texas Gunner Metalworking 0 July 16th 03 08:47 PM
604 metal shop question john smith Metalworking 4 July 15th 03 01:32 PM