Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Silent wall switches

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 14:10:38 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 28/02/2020 10:36, Theo wrote:
Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're
pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter
or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because
they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and
less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by
pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

GET/Schneider Ultimate from TLC:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GU1011.html

Not silent but far less clacky than say MK...

Apart from the 'clack' I find it annoying that the action isn't associated
with the electrical breaking. My modernish pull switches all break the
supply on a gentle pull /then/ clack. Same on make: pull, release slowly,
clack (again), make. Does nothing to avoid arcing.
The one 'old' switch does it properly, The old toggle light switches only
slid the contacts but at least had a snap-over action.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away