Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Led strip lighting - channel section & corners....

Have settled on a W shape design for some modest store room led
strip lighting.

8mm strip, ali channel to suit w opal diffuser etc...

Bought some L & T shape connectors on fleabay & now discovered
that the connectors won't fit inside the ali channel
?!?

I was going to mitre the ali channels for nice 90 degree corners &
hide the connectors inside... but can't with what I have....
unless I try & solder the led strips to each other with fly leads
:-( or??

Any pointers anyone?

TIA

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 15:37:31 UTC, JimK wrote:

Have settled on a W shape design for some modest store room led
strip lighting.

8mm strip, ali channel to suit w opal diffuser etc...

Bought some L & T shape connectors on fleabay & now discovered
that the connectors won't fit inside the ali channel
?!?

I was going to mitre the ali channels for nice 90 degree corners &
hide the connectors inside... but can't with what I have....
unless I try & solder the led strips to each other with fly leads
:-( or??

Any pointers anyone?

TIA

Are you really unable to solder the connections?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 17:49:52 UTC, RobH wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:46, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 15:37:31 UTC, JimK wrote:

Have settled on a W shape design for some modest store room led
strip lighting.

8mm strip, ali channel to suit w opal diffuser etc...

Bought some L & T shape connectors on fleabay & now discovered
that the connectors won't fit inside the ali channel
?!?

I was going to mitre the ali channels for nice 90 degree corners &
hide the connectors inside... but can't with what I have....
unless I try & solder the led strips to each other with fly leads
:-( or??

Any pointers anyone?

TIA

Are you really unable to solder the connections?

He didn't say that, read it again!

I see you're quite right. No, I could comment but won't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 15:37, Jimk wrote:
Have settled on a W shape design for some modest store room led
strip lighting.

8mm strip, ali channel to suit w opal diffuser etc...

Bought some L & T shape connectors on fleabay & now discovered
that the connectors won't fit inside the ali channel
?!?

I was going to mitre the ali channels for nice 90 degree corners &
hide the connectors inside... but can't with what I have....
unless I try & solder the led strips to each other with fly leads
:-( or??

Any pointers anyone?

TIA

I'd go for soldering. If you pre tin the led strip and wires, you can
just dab with the iron to connect once installed.

The clip IDC connectors can be a bit unreliable anyway, according to my
research - and may also be limited in mac strip run supported (current
limits)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would soldering them a little unsafe though. Seems a bit rash. Surely there
has to be some low profile connections or maybe they could be crimped and
heat shrank?
Brian

It's very standard, and more or less mandatory and higher current longer
runs.

The truely paranoid will seal the join with a dob of Liquid Tape or
silicone, or some other insulating varnish, just to remove any
possibility of a fleck of conductive metal falling between the dobs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 15/02/2020 15:37, Jimk wrote:
[...]

Ah, intellisting, thanks Tim