Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RGBW LED strip lighting - any good makes?

As we're doing the dormer now, I rather fancy some LED strip lights, set
in the extruded ali channel you can get for them.

Probably use them as the main lights - 2 strips in each half of the
ceiling at 1/4 and 3/4 spacing. At 1000lm/m they kick out more than
enough light and the RGB option is kinda cool.

Been looking at these:

https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led...ip-controllers

But has anyone had any good or bad experiences with any particular
brands? Ditto controllers? Those custom controllers on the same page
look pretty natural to operate and I like that the system is 24V rather
than 5V or 12V (less volt drop on the cabling).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
As we're doing the dormer now, I rather fancy some LED strip lights, set
in the extruded ali channel you can get for them.

Probably use them as the main lights - 2 strips in each half of the
ceiling at 1/4 and 3/4 spacing. At 1000lm/m they kick out more than
enough light and the RGB option is kinda cool.

Been looking at these:

https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led...ip-controllers

But has anyone had any good or bad experiences with any particular
brands? Ditto controllers? Those custom controllers on the same page
look pretty natural to operate and I like that the system is 24V rather
than 5V or 12V (less volt drop on the cabling).

I put some in a couple of alcoves in the youngest daughter's
bedroom about I got the LED strip from an eBay seller, been fine
so far, except one LED has got stuck on one colour, but it's not
noticeable.

I used this RF controller, bought from LedHut, but I've seen the
same looking thing sold in various places for different prices.
This has failed though (receiver or remote I know not) Par for
the course with cheapish electronic stuff nowadays. But as a
controller it worked fine.

But it was for the kids room, didn't want to spend to much.
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 22:07:40 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
As we're doing the dormer now, I rather fancy some LED strip lights, set
in the extruded ali channel you can get for them.

Probably use them as the main lights - 2 strips in each half of the
ceiling at 1/4 and 3/4 spacing. At 1000lm/m they kick out more than
enough light and the RGB option is kinda cool.

Been looking at these:

https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led...ip-controllers

But has anyone had any good or bad experiences with any particular
brands? Ditto controllers? Those custom controllers on the same page
look pretty natural to operate and I like that the system is 24V rather
than 5V or 12V (less volt drop on the cabling).

banggood is certainly cheaper. Buyer be cautious though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French Wrote in message:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Sorry, missed out link

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-l...ntroller-with-
colour-dial.html
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Aye - thanks for that. I'm after solid build stuff that will last - so
that is helpful...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:

[...]

Led life depends on temperature, which depends very much on run current as well as heatsinking. So if you ran banggood tape at half rated current you'd be likely to get longevity. As you semi-pointed out 1000lm/m is rather overkill.

NT