Old February 13th 20, 10:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing a gate . . .

Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

Old February 13th 20, 11:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/20 21:49, RJH wrote:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

As well as dealing with securing the hex nuts, maybe consider something
like this to offer another visible and effective deterrent:
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/halfords-wheel-clamp-lock-227910.html

--

Jeff
Old February 13th 20, 11:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Screws
Old February 13th 20, 11:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

Shear nuts & bolts?

E.g.

https://www.fastenright.com/products...rs/shear-bolts

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old February 13th 20, 11:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:30:30 GMT, "Jimk" wrote:

RJH Wrote in message:
[...]

Thanks - seen those, but they don't seem to supply retail, only via a web
form. And I'm curious about the torque at which the head snaps off. My
experience of bolting stuff to the brick of these houses hasn't been too
promising - so if it does need to be tightened *tight* they might not work.

Cheers, Rob

Old February 13th 20, 11:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:25:46 GMT, "
wrote:

[...]

Thanks - drilling out the head of a large pozi screw would seem to be a crude
but effective solution . . .

Cheers, Rob

Old February 14th 20, 09:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:
[...]

It was an e.g. ....

GIYF
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old February 14th 20, 09:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Most of the crooks around here are either after the catalytic converters or
just getting the electronic codes to open the cars and filch anything
inside.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old February 14th 20, 10:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:07:26 GMT, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

On 13/02/20 21:49, RJH wrote:
[...]

Yes, perhaps I should. Irony being my car is pretty much the least valuable on
the street (2007 Audi S3) . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Old February 14th 20, 10:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

This is a job for the uk.d-i-y angle grinder. Use it to take the corners
off the nuts and bolts, so that a spanner can't grip them. You can use
it again if you ever need to remove them.

Alternatively, should you want to be able to use a spanner on them
yourself, drill through one of the flats on the nuts and through the
bits the bolts pass through. Tap the holes and fit pointed hex socket
grub screws to grip the threads.

--
Colin Bignell