Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing a garden gate

Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to
lock/unlock from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to
lock/unlock from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

I suspect, knowing our garden gate, that it will change size/shape
depending on the weather. This would make using a mortice lock difficult.
Your idea seems a good one. Just make sure you get a weatherproof padlock.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to lock/unlock
from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

Probably not applicable in a urban situation, but here on the farm with an
influx of grandchildren this Easter, and a similar gate giving direct access
to a stream at the back of the house, I tied it with a suitable length of
baler twine in a fetching shade of orange G. Still not been able to stop
them all bouncing on the fibreglass cover of the sewage plant!!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2013 11:50, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to
lock/unlock from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

Probably not applicable in a urban situation, but here on the farm with
an influx of grandchildren this Easter, and a similar gate giving direct
access to a stream at the back of the house, I tied it with a suitable
length of baler twine in a fetching shade of orange G. ...

IME it is difficult to go more than a couple of paces around any farm
without finding something being held together with baler twine.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 31/03/2013 11:50, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to
lock/unlock from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

Probably not applicable in a urban situation, but here on the farm with
an influx of grandchildren this Easter, and a similar gate giving direct
access to a stream at the back of the house, I tied it with a suitable
length of baler twine in a fetching shade of orange G. ...

IME it is difficult to go more than a couple of paces around any farm
without finding something being held together with baler twine.

Indeed, it's the agricultural version of gaffer tape.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, the standard contents of a tractor cab a

Dog (optional)
Thermos and sandwiches (optionally half-eaten by the dog)
Driver with wellies on feet
A hammer (for where the wellies won't do)
Baler twine
Wire (for where baler twine won't do)
Spare locking pins and clips (if you're lucky)
An adjustable spanner (if you're lucky)

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:02:46 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

IME it is difficult to go more than a couple of paces around any farm
without finding something being held together with baler twine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Java Jive
writes
Yes, the standard contents of a tractor cab a

Dog (optional)
Thermos and sandwiches (optionally half-eaten by the dog)
Driver with wellies on feet
A hammer (for where the wellies won't do)
Baler twine
Wire (for where baler twine won't do)
Spare locking pins and clips (if you're lucky)
An adjustable spanner (if you're lucky)

A number of well read copies of the Sun newspaper.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to
lock/unlock from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

I'd like something as well - preferably remotely controllable. So that I
could stop the spam delivers opening the gate!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , Java Jive
writes
Yes, the standard contents of a tractor cab a

Dog (optional)
Thermos and sandwiches (optionally half-eaten by the dog)
Driver with wellies on feet
A hammer (for where the wellies won't do)
Baler twine
Wire (for where baler twine won't do)
Spare locking pins and clips (if you're lucky)
An adjustable spanner (if you're lucky)

A number of well read copies of the Sun newspaper.

And any amount of crap picked up from roadside fields bounded by public
highways:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to
lock/unlock from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

I'd like something as well - preferably remotely controllable. So that
I could stop the spam delivers opening the gate!

How about some sort of electric latch? Could be key operated from either
side (two switches) or radio fob.

Actually, after consideration, I need just such a system. Keypads would
entertain local youth but has anyone come across a cheap, fob operated
kit?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:14:51 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Actually, after consideration, I need just such a system. Keypads would
entertain local youth but has anyone come across a cheap, fob operated
kit?

Easy enough to do with one of the telephone door opening devices that
just move a plate back on a solenoid from what is otherwise a normal
front door lock keyed from both sides.

I also use a pair of electro magnets to hold a sliding gate closed but
manually operate able in the event of a power failure.

Triggered by a phone call.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
wrote:

I also use a pair of electro magnets to hold a sliding gate closed

What's the power consumption of that?

I think *energise to open* would minimise running costs.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2013 12:49, Java Jive wrote:
Yes, the standard contents of a tractor cab a

Dog (optional)
Thermos and sandwiches (optionally half-eaten by the dog)
Driver with wellies on feet
A hammer (for where the wellies won't do)
Baler twine
Wire (for where baler twine won't do)
Spare locking pins and clips (if you're lucky)
An adjustable spanner (if you're lucky)

Apart from the dog and driver, you might be describing the contents of
the pockets of a farmer's waxed jacket and I'm not sure about the dog.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:38:46 +0100, Andy Burns

I also use a pair of electro magnets to hold a sliding gate closed

What's the power consumption of that?

They're rated at 500mA but I'm running them on 18V instead of 24V. The
gate opens about 100 times a day so the daily 0.2kWh isn't very
significant.

I went with the magnets rather than the latch for two reasons, it
meant I could have a low closing torque on the motor clutch, and hence
less chance of a crush injury if the optical switches weren't adequate
and so the gate could be manually opened in the event of a power cut,
it's a vehicular access gate rather than a security gate.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 10:08:17 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to
lock/unlock from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

Next door has a combi cable lock (bicycle type) about 18" long. It goes
round one of the uprights and the (plastic) soil stack. Not super-secure but
probably no worse than the gate itself. It was supplied by her boyfriend -
he's an officer in the Met!
I'd been trying to think of a way of doing it and, quite honestly, realised
that any sort of sash lock or similar wouldn't stay alligned for long; same
with a combi bolt.
The cable can be pulled through, so when I've used it from the outside I
push it so that the lock is on the inside - it's all about delaying tactics.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Securing/stabilizing mini block wall for gate Dave[_39_] Home Repair 3 January 12th 12 04:09 PM
garden gate construction Fred UK diy 13 June 23rd 10 10:40 PM
Z Bar Garden gate no name UK diy 3 October 10th 07 05:31 PM
Garden gate samson Woodworking 2 July 2nd 07 04:33 AM
Garden Gate David Lang UK diy 1 July 13th 05 10:44 PM